Phantom 2 v2 - First flight outdoors and first impressions

Reaction score
Ok, so after a successful test indoors, I decided to try the Phantom outdoors.
First off, the test indoors was done in ATTI mode due to not being able to get a lock on enough satellites (I don't know how to check how many satellites is getting, all I see is the slow flashing yellow lights)
The indoor test was successful except when my friend piloted the drone, he hit the wall twice because he is not used to the reverse commands when not standing behind the drone.
I flew it without problems.
Off to the outdoors test I went.
GPS lock was good (green lights) and I did a short test over my house. GPS was working well, as I did a hold test and pushed the P2 with my hands and it returned to the original position.
I must say I'm impressed on how stable it is. I did other flights and I was able to get within inches from my house window and I flew it very very close to objects close to the ground just to test stability and maneuverability and it's really impressive.
My question is how to best try the return to home / failsafe?
I'm a little scared about it and certainly I won't try it near my house as there are many trees around the area.
Here's the footage I got:
http://youtu.be/-EMJA1eVaNA

Thanks.

Re: Phantom 2 v2 - First flight outdoors and first impressio

When i tested mine, i landed it in the middle of my driveway, where even with allowing for drift it would still be on solid ground. I reset the home point and took off. I went about 50 feet away and flipped my S1 all the way down. I programmed it on the PC to be failsafe. Within a second or two, the drone took over, climbed a little, and came right over to the home point. It was off by maybe a foot and once it landed, it powered down.

I did this twice to confirm that it was working. Once i flipped my S1 back to GPS, it went straight back to my control, even during the failsafe.

tgreenstone said:
When i tested mine, i landed it in the middle of my driveway, where even with allowing for drift it would still be on solid ground. I reset the home point and took off. I went about 50 feet away and flipped my S1 all the way down. I programmed it on the PC to be failsafe. Within a second or two, the drone took over, climbed a little, and came right over to the home point. It was off by maybe a foot and once it landed, it powered down.

I did this twice to confirm that it was working. Once i flipped my S1 back to GPS, it went straight back to my control, even during the failsafe.

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your experience.
Unfortunately I cannot do it in my driveway because I have trees all over it, but I just want to make sur enothing weird will happen when I flip that switch all the way down.
I have it configured like you also
Up, Middle = Normal flight
Down: failsafe

Thanks again for your input

I haven't had an issue but the Phantom is designed to ascend first before returning home. Seen may a times that be the cause for a crash.

Just keep that part in mind. If you keep it low, you may be able to test it in a tighter area

You can just shut down your remote as well. First time I did mine I have to say that I started to panic when it started to climb in altitude. However, it performed flawlessly.

That'd freak me out a little too! maybe I'll tie a string to it and try it :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik