Phantom 2 v2.0 specific upgrade questions (to P3pro, P4, I1)

Which would you upgrade to for the work described above?

• Phantom 3 Professional

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Phantom 4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Inspire 1

• Other option?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I currently have a Phantom 2 v2.0 with a Zenmuse h4-3d gimbal kit for a GoPro Hero4 Black. I transmit video down to a 7" Black Pearl monitor for FPV. I record using the video feature only in 4k quality.

I work as a Fire Investigator and use the drone for recording videos of fire scenes from elevated locations or locations where it is unsafe to walk/enter. Sometimes that means flying high above to get a image 300+ feet above a site, and other times that means flying a few feet above the burned out roof of a home or apartment building (as seen in the images below). That could mean very little hazards if I'm filming at a distance, or the potential for multiple hazards if I'm flying close.

After reading up on the Phantom 3 (Professional), the Phantom 4, and the Inspire 1, it appears that they all have the ability for the pilot to control the operation of the camera while flying. Starting, stopping, switching from video to stills, etc; all while keeping a video feed active. For those of you who don't know, the GoPro Hero4 Black does film in 4k resolution, but in order to get a live feed (FPV), the camera needs to be in video mode. If used in any other mode, such as Timelapse, then the live feed doesn't work. In my line of work having the ability to take single stills, or timelapses, or videos is much better than just having to pull those out of a video in post processing. Not to mention, all the images I get have the "GoPro fisheye" look. As I'm not supposed to be editing the images (evidentiary reasons), I have to leave the fisheye appearance in.

As I've never flown the Phantom 3 (pro), Phantom 4, or the Inspire 1, I don't know how much better they handle. I know most of them have the ability to use GPS satellites for navigation, along with a multitude of other cameras/sensors if GPS isn't available. That function alone right there would be golden to me, but I worry about the feature that causes the drone to correct its route when it senses an object is near. That could potentially take the drone out of the location I want it to be in as I may need to get close to get a shot.

Long story short, normally I'd go for the cheaper of the three options, and call it a day enjoying my new drone, but as I've noticed recently, all three drones have had their prices drastically reduced and into my price range. So, which of the three drones listed would be the best for the kind of work I'm using them for? Pros/cons to any of them from the pilot community here?

Sorry for the long-winded question, thank you for your time.

Clinton

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 11.43.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 11.54.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 11.54.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 11.54.40 PM.png

Also, as I'll be upgrading, I'd like to sell some of the extra equipment I have for my Phantom 2. For example, I currently have 6 batteries and 4 chargers amongst other accessories. I won't be needing that many, so where is a good place to sell items that are still in excellent condition?

I read somewhere the DJI cams also have fisheye but someone may correct me here, i see it on my P2V+, unsure of the newer models cams.
The P3 Pro looks like the one for you going by what you posted above.

All great aircraft's, but a P3P might be your best option in regards to replacement costs, if you crash.
P3-4's seem to be pretty close to the same, as far as the camera and control goes.
The Inspire is in a different class.

Last edited:
where is a good place to sell items that are still in excellent condition?
Try the classifieds section here or eBay.

Pros/cons to any of them from the pilot community here?
Unless you have a need for the X5 or X5R cameras, you likely won't see any benefit to using the Inspire 1. Also, the Inspire 1 has a shorter flight time, is much more expensive, and is not as portable.

If it's down to the P3P versus the P4, $300 more for the P4 seems like a no-brainer to me if it does not break your budget. It's built better, has locking props, is not plagued by the P3 shell crack issue, and has some other nice features over the P3P (see more details here).

Last edited:
Try the classifieds section here or eBay.

Unless you have a need for the X5 or X5R cameras, you likely won't see any benefit to using the Inspire 1. Also, the Inspire 1 has a shorter flight time, is much more expensive, and is not as portable.

If it's down to the P3P versus the P4, $300 more for the P4 seems like a no-brainer to me if it does not break your budget. It's built better, has locking props, is not plagued by the P3 shell crack issue, and has some other nice features over the P3P (see more details here).

Very good point, I forgot the X3 camera is equivalent to that on the Phantom 4. Thank you for your reply.

Should be fine; I use an iPad Air 2 with mine and it's rock-solid. It will fit in the P3/P4/I1 controller mount, although many people replace the holder with a stronger metal one.

Reactions: cmcarman15
Should be fine; I use an iPad Air 2 with mine and it's rock-solid. It will fit in the P3/P4/I1 controller mount, although many people replace the holder with a stronger metal one.
Thank you for the confirmation! Do you use a stronger metal one that you like? IF so would you mind making a recommendation?

Thanks!

Clinton

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic