Phantom 2 v2.0 camera instal

Reaction score
Hi fellas, new to the forum and drones for the most part. I know I should have bought a phantom with a camera already installed but I didn't so I'm doing this myself with no regard towards the cost of doing it. I have a phantom 2 v2.0 that is 2.4ghz that came from the store with no camera, I have a vision plus camera and wifi range extender coming in the mail and my question is what else do I need to have this drone transmitting video? I would like to use this filming boats so I would like a descent range on the wifi. Do I need to solder in a video transmitter on the drone itself and also will a vision plus camera send a signal to an iPhone or should I purchase a screen? Sorry I don't know much about these. Thanks for any help! Kevin

Hi fellas, new to the forum and drones for the most part. I know I should have bought a phantom with a camera already installed but I didn't so I'm doing this myself with no regard towards the cost of doing it. I have a phantom 2 v2.0 that is 2.4ghz that came from the store with no camera, I have a vision plus camera and wifi range extender coming in the mail and my question is what else do I need to have this drone transmitting video? I would like to use this filming boats so I would like a descent range on the wifi. Do I need to solder in a video transmitter on the drone itself and also will a vision plus camera send a signal to an iPhone or should I purchase a screen? Sorry I don't know much about these. Thanks for any help! Kevin

The vision camera and wifi extender is not compatible with your P2 non vision quad. If at all possible you should try to cancel that order. Did the P2 come with gimbal?

Hi, thanks for the reply, no it did not come with a gimbal but it has the ribbon wire taped on the bottom that I assume connects to a gimbal. Would one of the zenmuse gimbals be a better option?

If you have a gopro the zenmuse h3 3d is a good option. The gopros film better then the vision+ camera also. You can connect fpv to the gopro to.

Thanks for the info Ethan! Now with the go pro, is the wifi range on it descent? Is there a wifi range extender that is compatible with the gopro?

And you would also need a full FPV setup, consisting of a transmitter, receiver/monitor, and an iOSD mini to display telemetery. And don't ever use the GoPro WiFi during flight because it is using the same frequency as your RC for the quad, so you will have control issues.

Hi, thanks for the reply, no it did not come with a gimbal but it has the ribbon wire taped on the bottom that I assume connects to a gimbal. Would one of the zenmuse gimbals be a better option?

By far the zenmuse H3-3D gimbal would the choice as it was designed for the P2 and the GoPro camera. You can buy used GoPro Hero 3+/4 blk on ebay. New zenmuse H3-3D/H4-3D go for $299 at www.bhphotovideo.com and some times they have good used gimbals for as low as $199.

Here's why you don't use wifi on a P2

This is some great info and I appreciate everyone's help!! Would I be better off just getting a phantom 3 for filming? The problem is that I need wifi, I am filming boats running and the I am on a boat myself so I really can't have my phantom 2 enter return to home due to wifi interference because I am continuously moving on the boat. I did a test run on the water with the p2 and the problem I am having is I can't judge how close the p2 is to the boat and I would be trying to film an object that is moving so fpv on a screen is a must. Even though I haven't done this quite right, I still enjoy this p2 with no camera on it

Also, is there a wifi set up for the p2 that won't interfere with the performance of the p2 itself?
NO! Do you really think you can get any closer with a P3 then a P2.?? The answer to that is also NO. There is no depth perception with any quad whether you're using wifi or FPV equipment.

Last edited:
You didn't get what I was saying Jason, I don't have depth perception due to not having a camera installed with wifi and fpv. The reason I was talking about getting a p3 was that everyone is saying I am going to have a problem using wifi with the p2 v2.0. And YES I would be able to tell were exactly I am in relation to the boat with wifi video

Could you explain how flying a p3 with wifi video would help you with depth perception. I'm not being sarcastic, I just don't understand. If you need wifi video you need to get a P2Vision, Vision+, or a P3.

Ok, I'm going to make this as clear as I can lol. I am filming boats that are 40ft and above and I'm running a 46ft ocean super sport so when filming I cannot be close to the boat I am filming because our boats put off about a 5 foot wake on the sides and behind and if you catch another boats wake the boat you are on will rock and becomes a bit unstable. The video posted above shows the reason why you shouldn't use wifi on a regular p2 because the wifi sends it in return home mode after a short distance and there for it will land in the water since I'm not sitting in the same place and we are running 70 miles off shore.The reason I need fpv is because the woman on the other boat called over VHF to bring the p2 closer and I couldn't do it because I couldn't tell how far away The p2 was exactly from there boat, if it was 50ft off port or 10 feet off port. and I didn't want to risk having the p2 running into their boat. That is where live video feed would come in handy because on screen I would be able to see how close I am to the other boat using the image that the camera is putting out. These are 6 figure boats and I'm not trying to risk damaging the gel coat on someone else's boat. It doesn't matter if it's a p2 vision , + or p3 or inspire, I obviously have the wrong one to be doing this so I'm just going to purchase one of the above. I never said that the p3 was better than any other, I stated more or less that it is an option that I could purchase to make this easier, I'm not sure exactly what you are misunderstanding but if I have wifi feeding an image back to me obviously I can see how close the drone is to the other boat

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1443482745.681710.jpg
. This was taken using a drone, now if the drone gets closer I'm sure you can tell looking at the image on the screen, the closer you are to the boat the bigger the boat will look on screen and at distance without an image in front of you, you can't tell if the drone is 50 or a 100 feet away since I control it from another boat that is not close to this boat. This is a video of the same boat that belongs to a friend using wifi video and you can clearly see when the drone is close to the boat

Last edited:
This was taken using a drone, now if the drone gets closer I'm sure you can tell looking at the image on the screen, the closer you are to the boat the bigger the boat will look on screen and at distance without an image in front of you, you can't tell if the drone is 50 or a 100 feet away since I control it from another boat that is not close to this boat. This is a video of the same boat that belongs to a friend using wifi video and you can clearly see when the drone is close to the boat m

Thats some pretty good video for no fpv.

Your confusion is that fpv has to be through WIFI when you can buy a standalone monitor that receives 5.8ghz signal. If you have the money and prefer simplicity you should get the P3 of your choice. If you want to spend some time modding your drone and taking it apart dig deeper into phantom 2 fpv

Phantom 2 with all the fpv parts needed is fantastic for filming and for fast fpv with no lag on live footage like p3.But you have to spent some time to install all the fpv setup on your phantom,you need 5.8 tx (600 mw for long range),5.8 receiver,mini osd,monitor,a camera with av out and a gimbal to have stable footage.
If you dont have knowledge on electronics do not try to do all this on your own.With the p3 you are ready to go out of the box,but you dont have the research and the building part which most of us here like it a lot!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20