Phantom 2 V+ Take off issue

Reaction score
Hello All, I just bought the Phantom used from an owner that only flew in once for a wedding. It is in perfect shape and never been crashed. I took it home and read all the info on it and flew it once out side with success. Its cold today so I wanted to try and see if it will fly in my living room. Seeing I got 12 satellites I felt comfortable trying to fly it inside. Got it up and down with no issues once. Second time I tried, when I push the sticks to the corners the props start. If I hold them there they will keep going. As soon as I release they spin for about 5 second and stop. Rear lights are slow green flash. Recharged everything because everything was about 60% and tried again. Same thing. Checked to make sure battery was set properly. It was. Calibrated compass a million times. Previous owner is super nice guy and still trying to help via text. He says firmware is up to date. I tried both batteries. Same thing. Any ideas? This seems like it should be a simple fix or I am missing something. Thanks for any help.

Tim

Try putting in atti. I'd be real Leary of flying in the living room. It could do some real damage.
If it sits after the props start without any input it will shut down like after you land.

I don't know what at atti is. Sorry. Still new to this. What is it? This is a large open area and I have the prop guards on. I have done it with other copters with no problem. The props only start for 5 seconds when I take the sticks to center bottom. They wont stay running. Its not sitting idle at all. I am reading all sorts of stuff and am considering a IMU calibration?

First off it's not designed to fly inside. I promise you will find its not worth it and you will end up sorry.

Well I updated the firmware and did an advanced calibration on the IMU and still the same thing happens. I took it outside to make sure it was not some sort of weird interference. I am stumped. Anyone? Thanks

I'm not sure if you are holding the sticks down continuously or letting them go to centre as soon as the blades start. If you keep them held down the quad probably thinks you are trying to shut it down. Try letting them go as soon as the blades start spinning. I agree with Roy. Bad move flying indoors. I make it a rule not to even have my props on indoors. Look at video on YouTube about a guy who almost lost his thumb when the bird shot up off his kitchen table and tried to RTH to his last takeoff point. Sorry. Dont have link.

Thanks for the warning about flying inside. I really need to focus on getting it in the air.

I do release the sticks immediately. In my fight with it I just happen to find that the props stay going if I hold them there. If I immediately release them, the LH stick goes to the bottom center as its supposed to. Props stay running for about 5 seconds and then they stop. Still slow green blink. No errors.

Ahh. I think I know what is going on. Both sticks are supposed to go to complete centre after startup. I know with the latest pv2 controllers there is a landing lock that you can use to bring your bird down on the left controller. It sounds like you have that initialised. It will also turn off the bird once it has landed. I'm not familiar with that controller as I have the older one so research on how you take that landing lock off. I'm pretty sure that will fix your problem.

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow but I am pretty sure pushing it there wont work. I will look into the landing lock though. Thanks

No problem.Give it a try though. I'm sure that both sticks need to be completely centred before you can take off. Also if you need help with atti mode I can explain.

Plug your craft into the assistant and re calibrate the REmote Controller sticks. Also look to see if any errors are showing up. Double check the type of controller it has selected.

No chance if any time you were flying that the unit tipped and motors still,we're trying to run but props were stuck?

While plugged into the assistant you can look to see that both stocks commands are being sent and are being followed on screen. That makes sure both are properly working.

flying indoors is a real bad mistake without lots of experience.
as mentioned start with both corners then let the sticks go to their own position without pulling left stick down at all

Thanks for the help all. I will plug back in and try to recalibrate the sticks when I get home.

I will be honest, the first time I tried to fly it, it did tip over and one blade was stopped while the others still spun until it stopped but I have flown it twice since then. Could this have caused an issue?

Hello All, I just bought the Phantom used from an owner that only flew in once for a wedding. It is in perfect shape and never been crashed. I took it home and read all the info on it and flew it once out side with success. Its cold today so I wanted to try and see if it will fly in my living room. Seeing I got 12 satellites I felt comfortable trying to fly it inside. Got it up and down with no issues once. Second time I tried, when I push the sticks to the corners the props start. If I hold them there they will keep going. As soon as I release they spin for about 5 second and stop. Rear lights are slow green flash. Recharged everything because everything was about 60% and tried again. Same thing. Checked to make sure battery was set properly. It was. Calibrated compass a million times. Previous owner is super nice guy and still trying to help via text. He says firmware is up to date. I tried both batteries. Same thing. Any ideas? This seems like it should be a simple fix or I am missing something. Thanks for any help.

Tim
Hi, I am also new to the hobby, and mine does the same thing. If you notice, the left stick stays at the bottom after startup. Simply nudging it to the center within 5 seconds of startup will keep them idling. If you don't, it sees it as a shutdown command. Hope this helps!
Tony

If one of the props gets stalled with the motors running it can damage an ESC (motor controller) but you can test. If the motors start at same time and then stop at the same time they are most likely ok. If an ESC starts failing you will get one of the motors that twitches or jerks or even fails to start.
A short stall doesn't seem to but it but one that gets tipped or caught in the trees and runs for three or more minutes stalled over heats and usually blow a Moffit on the ESC board. Those you can definitely tell have failed.

I want to thank everyone for their help. The final result was, I am an idiot. CocoTony and Davo above were correct. I have no idea how I did not notice it before but, the left stick does stay down in a locked position once the blades are started. If not unlocked(pushed up) within a few seconds they stop. There is no lift until you get past mid stick position. The one thing I can say about this whole thing is that I learn a lot. How to update firmware, how to calibrate the IMU, that people freak about flying inside! LOL

Thanks again to everyone, I hope to now educate myself and help others down the line.

Reactions: CocoTony

Tim
You mentioned your quad tipping over on takeoff. Same thing happened to me and DJI tells you to ease the stick forward and take off smoothly. Best advice is push the stick all the way forward when taking off and get it into the air quickly...

If you really want to fly inside(on a bad weather day for example) get yourself a nano copter or a smaller unit. They are safe and easy to fly. I have a Blade Inspire and a Prime rc nano as well as my PV2+. They are small enough fly around without damaging anything and super fun to piss off my girlfriend with while she is watching television. They also give you great practice for orientation so you can fly your Phantom with confidence.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20