Phantom 2 V+ or GoPro; how did you decide?

Reaction score
I'm brand new to this and have yet to purchase my unit. Last time I flew something was 15+ years ago in the world of RC planes -- I was never an expert or even very good at it and gave up the sport after I killed a plane or two o_O

I do not own GoPro but wanted to get the Hero4 Silver to use for other things as well.
The reason I'm looking at going the GoPro route is for cost savings; if I'm going to purchase GoPro anyway, it seems like a good idea to save some money.

Is there a reason NOT to get the Phantom 2 with the 3-axis gimble and use GoPro?

I also have no idea (yet) what's the difference between Zenmuse H4-3D vs. H3-3D Gimbal.

If I posted this in the wrong section, my apologies. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped up with all the different versions/options. Admins, please move is see fit.

Right section :). The only difference is cost. With a Phantom 2 and gimbal + the gopro, + the FPV system (this allows you to see what you are filming in real time) you are looking at a more expensive kit than the P2V+. Honestly, I would just buy the P3. It has 4k and everything you need included.

Jacob, thanks for replaying so quickly.
This P3 complicated my decision for sure.
I was ready to pull the trigger last night on the P2 and then I ran across the P3 announcement.
Now I think I'm going to have to wait and get the new toy -- I mean tool
Would you recommend the 4K vs the 2K camera? Why?

If you go with 1080, you will be good for about a year, but if you go with 4k, you are future-proofing. You could keep the P3 for 3-4 years.

I did the GoPro 4 on the P2V+ mod. Best of both worlds. 0M2Q1294-3.jpg

I did the GoPro 4 on the P2V+ mod. Best of both worlds.View attachment 17173

Same but with h33d gopro3+. Best!

You have a lot more faith in my flying abilities than I do

but if you first time flyer, i suggest the advance as the 1080p camera and gimbal will be cheaper to replace if something were to happen. Editing 4k requires time or a really powerful pc.

One thing to note, P2+ GoPro route you can't start stop the recording or change from video to photo inflight. V+ or P3 can. for me, this was a non started on the GoPro. I'm more into photo than video but like to be able to switch on the fly. If you really want to use GoPro, check out the 3DR Solo, it allows full control of GoPro inflight, but its more money than P3.

Honestly, if you aren't going for high end video, get the P3 Advanced. 4k is worth it if you want to do more post production work on the video, or if you have a 4k tv to display it on. If you want to do as little editing as possible, the 1080P60 of the Advanced will be plenty. As Mako79 said, you also need a powerful computer to edit the 4k video.

Thanks guys.
I don't expect to do a lot of flying and I never get to travel (two jobs and busy family life).

I do think that the 4K might be worth it even if I don't get 4K TV for a while.
I can always downres the picture/video but can 'never' upres.
I figured that the videos I'll do may be once in the lifetime events (unique trip, or evens such as outdoor wedding or birthday). I'm building a pool now and would love to have some construction videos (yes, I know, I weird).

BTW, I'm typing this while looking at my 55" 4K Seiki monitor; but it sucks for video, so that doesn't really count.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj