Phantom 2 V+ FPV LAG? FPV usable?

Reaction score
Dear All, i am in the market to buy a new Phantom 2, and one of the most critical points which i am looking to is the FPV, the question is, if go with P2V+ is the FPV usable from it or its lagging a second or 2 which is not acceptable specially i would like to fly goggles FPV. I am sure the Phantom 2 with GoPro + Tx/Rx will give me almost zero lag so the experience is the best.
Thank you

If you want to use GOGGLES, I'm not sure the Vision+ is the model you want.
The P2 Vision+ is designed to use a smartphone or tablet as the FPV screen, and does it's transmission via wifi which btw has much less range, besides I'm not aware of any goggles that use wifi input like that. Also the camera is inferior to a gopro.

If you go with the non-Vision P2 with Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro, setting up FPV is all plug and play now it's super simple, more flexible and more powerful. You'll be broadcasting a 5.8Ghz FPV signal from the phantom that ANY compatible device can receive.. a LCD screen, goggles, whatever. Basically this is the platform that is designed to be used with goggles.
Yes, it's slightly more expensive after adding all the proper FPV components, but you get what you pay for: a much more powerful and longer range system and oh-by-the-way the videos you get with the gopro can be much better.

So I can't speak to what kind of lag/delay the Vision+ has, but I feel like the fact that you want goggles should put you in the non-Vision product line.

many thanks QYV for your help, i have seen some folks getting the Zeiss cinemaizzer working with HDMI out from iPad/iPhone and using the DJI Vision App which gives (IMO) more user intuitive interface and info than the iOSD mini and it has FPV mode (firms the gimbal to give the flying effect) and none FPV mode (flex the gimbal to give smooth video footage) its kinda out of the box solution, and also BTW P2V+ is updated with weather resistant compass, motors, props, ESCs, etc. i feel after GP roamers about releasing their own drone is making DJI adding more features on their vision series. my 2 cents :) ,, having said that, the quality of the Gp is no brainer,, much better than P2V+ camera.

cool those were just my opinions. I didn't think to try to do a video out from the ipad into goggles, which sounds like it could be easily done with a proper cable or something to get the signal into goggles.

The Vision app... eh sure it's a little prettier and flashy but they give basically the same data... naturally the app actually controls the camera, whereas with a gopro / iOSD is passive.

boils down to whichever you need or prefer :)

Thanks for your help, appreciated. quick one on the P2+GoPro, i assume i can still record on the internal micro SD card, and no need to have a down link from my goggles to external recorder, am i correct? also is it recommended to have additional camera for the FPV beside the GoPro, or is it safe to fly with the GoPro as FPV camera.
thanks for the help.

absolutely, the intent is to record on the internal gopro SD card, the FPV is basically just for lining up shots. again, you can't control start/stop on the gopro in flight... you have to hit record, fly, then stop and edit later.

the non-Vision series is definitely designed to use the gopro as the fpv camera. the gimbal brings video feed back up onto the phantom mainboard, then from there you tap into the signal and pipe it (usually through the iOSD) to a transmitter.

messiry said:
Thanks for your help, appreciated. quick one on the P2+GoPro, i assume i can still record on the internal micro SD card, and no need to have a down link from my goggles to external recorder, am i correct? also is it recommended to have additional camera for the FPV beside the GoPro, or is it safe to fly with the GoPro as FPV camera.
thanks for the help.

You might be thinking of the fact with a P2 non-vision, you can't use the GoPro's 2.4 GHZ output for FPV. But, video out to a 5.8GHZ transmitter will work, with no need for a second camera.

Interesting discussion on which copter to go for but part of the original question related to lag in the fpv screen with the P2V+ . If anyone has done any research on lag in the fpv on the vision app and if there is a lag how much is it?

My own research indicates there is no discernible difference in lag whether the Phantom is 1 metre away from home point or 400 metres away.

I'm also aware that Epson Movario glasses work well with the P2V+, although not from first hand experience, simply from browsing other forums

OP did fine trying to ask about FPV in the FPV forum, but I gotta say by numbers there are far less Vision/Vision+ guys in here than P2-Zenmuse-5.8Ghz FPV guys.

I bet if you ask about lag over in the Vision or Vision+ forum you'll reach a wider audience that uses the equipment and may be able to offer insight

Thx QYV

Only one way to test that idea is to ask the question on that forum and see what the replies are so across I go

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub