Phantom 2 to Predator 2

Reaction score
Just got the Phantom 2, without the vision, just with the gimbal. I also have a Fatshark Predator 2.

The Phantom 2 has a four wires coming out of it (brown, red, brown, yellow) that you use to connect the Fatshark Predator 2. Problem is, I don't know what wire goes to what. If you haven't guessed, I'm new to RC. The Predator 2 has two plugs coming out of it. One for the power and one for the video. Power has a red and black. Video has a red black and white.

Can someone tell me what wire to solder to what wire?

tstowe said:
Just got the Phantom 2, without the vision, just with the gimbal. I also have a Fatshark Predator 2.

The Phantom 2 has a four wires coming out of it (brown, red, brown, yellow) that you use to connect the Fatshark Predator 2. Problem is, I don't know what wire goes to what. If you haven't guessed, I'm new to RC. The Predator 2 has two plugs coming out of it. One for the power and one for the video. Power has a red and black. Video has a red black and white.

Can someone tell me what wire to solder to what wire?

1) Read the manual, lot's of connection diagrams there
2) This post: http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4940&start=20#p38774 should help.

Ksc said:
page 5 in the instruction manual

http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .02_en.pdf

if you haven't read it. read it. otherwise you'll be on here tomorrow with a crash story.

Yeah, see... that's a lot less helpful than you'd think. I look at the manual and I see four wires. And I think, "That's great but the Predator has five wires coming out of it. What do I do with the extra wire?"

Did I mention I'm new to this? Very new. As in, this is the first RC anything I have ever owned. I got it because I like to take pictures. Sports. Weddings, etc. I've even taken pictures of space (www.TheTalon.Smugmug.com/Misc/Space). But I know nothing about RC and wiring diagrams.

Let's try this:

The Predator has a plug for power coming out of it with two wires.
1. Does the red go to B1, Red, B2, or yellow?
2. Does the black go to B1, Red, B2, or yellow?

The Predator has a plug for the video camera coming out of it with three wires.
3. Does the red go to B1, Red, B2, or yellow?
4. Does the black go to B1, Red, B2, or yellow?
5. Does the white go to B1, Red, B2, or yellow?

* Deleted this post because a later one is clearer and has better information *

KRG,

Here are the photos:

Cable coming out of the Phantom 2:
i-Nx63Rmm-L.jpg

Cables from Predator 2:
i-CW8fccS-L.jpg

The two wire plug is power: Red, positive, Black, negative. The three wired one is for the camera. Red, positive; Black, negative; White is video.

So, do both red wires get combined and attached to the red wire on the phantom?

tstowe said:
So, do both red wires get combined and attached to the red wire on the phantom?

No, ONLY the one on the two-wire connector to the FatShark, the one labeled "Batt." The other red one is for supplying power to the camera if necessary (which it isn't in this case).

The two brown wires coming from the Phantom are indeed the two ground wires. One connects to the black "GND" lead on the 2-wire plug, and the other connects to the black GND on the 3-wire plug.

"+5v Out" lead on the 3-wire plug isn't used here.

So:

Phantom red wire -> Red "Batt" lead on Fatshark (2-wire plug)
Phantom brown wire #1 or #2 -> Black GND lead #1 on Fatshark (2-wire plug)
Phantom yellow wire -> White "Vid in" lead on Fatshark (3-wire plug)
Phantom brown wire not used already -> Black GND lead on Fatshark (3-wire plug)

Ahh, ok. So here's the short version:

• - Predator power black to Phantom brown1
    - Predator power red to Phantom red.
    - Predator video white to Phantom yellow.
    - Predator video black to Phantom brown2.

Here is some more explanation:
The first two provide power to the transmitter from that Phantom. Those wires give you 11.1 volts, with no more than 2 amps allowed. I checked the Predator docs, it'll work with that voltage and draws somewhere around 300mA, so this is fine.

For the Predator video connector, the white connector is labeled "vid in". The yellow wire on the Phantom has the video signal, so these go together. The black wire on the Predator video connector is "gnd", and the Phantom brown (1 or 2) is the ground from the Phantom, so those go together.

You don't use the red wire from the Predator because it is only used in cases where you want the Predator transmitter to provide power to a camera. In your case, that's not needed, the H3-2D gimbal already powers the GoPro camera. The other two slots on the Predator video connector are audio left and right. If you could get audio out of your camera, (you can't from the Phantom wires), they would connect here.

One last thing, and it's really important. Do NOT power on the transmitter (i.e. don't hook up the power wires and then turn on the Phantom battery) without an antenna connected. Turning it on without an antenna will cause the transmitter to overheat quickly.

Hey guys, quick question - does every Phantom two come with the brown, yellow and red wire? Even the non-zenmuse Phantom 2s?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.