Phantom 2 suddenly drops to the ground

Reaction score
I have been flying my Phantom 2 and suddenly in the middle of flight is is like it looses power and drops straight to the ground. As it starts to drop, I try to give to power and it is like it does no good. On occasion if I am not flying too high it will bounce off the ground and then it kind of gains power and it will start flying again. When it is not falling, it will still hover properly. I am stumped on this and am going through propellers like crazy. Can anyone give me some advice on this? Thanks.

A few questions:
Are you hovering or descending straight down when this occurs? Do you use prop guards? Do you detect a wobble right before/as it drops?

Search the forums for VRS (Vortex Ring State) and learn what it is. This may be happening to you.

Another term for this is "settling with power."

Good questions:
Are you hovering or descending straight down when this occurs? Do you use prop guards? Do you detect a wobble right before/as it drops?

The first time it happened I was descending. I suspected I was descending to fast. I did not notice a wobble. It dropped about 30 feet perfectly hitting on it's landing skids. So I recovered and flew again and was careful with the decent. I was at about 20 feet high and flying slowly and I believe it did wobble and then just started heading for the ground. Nothing I could do to stop it. I am using prop guards but that has not been an issue until today.

Search the forums for VRS (Vortex Ring State) and learn what it is. This may be happening to you. - I did search for this before re-flying and suspected it might be happening, but again, it has not been an issue until today.

Any more suggestions with the answers I gave? Also, I have added iOSD, FPV transmitter and Ground Station to my P2. Could these additions have any effect of what was otherwise normal flying?

Some folks believe prop guards make the Phantom more susceptible to VRS. I've never flown with them, so I have no opinion on if that's true. Wobble right before loss of altitude is usually an indicator of VRS.

As for adding iOSD, FPV and GS, that's good information. I have experience only with adding FPV, which had no effect on flight. Perhaps someone with experience adding the other components can weigh in. Good luck!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20