Phantom 2 Startup Beep (ESC replaced under warranty)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've lurked here for a while but have only just setup an account. Finding a lot of useful advice to keep the quad safe & operating to its full potential.

Ive got the V2.0 Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal!

Right, so I have completed 4 flights now, and was about to go out for my 5th when I did the usual pre-flight startup followed by the CSC command. At which point I noticed 1 prop would not spin (it only moved a bit each way). I didn't try and power up and instead aborted any takeoff. It smelt like that motor had burned out. I took the quad back to the dealer and they have since replaced the ESC under warranty. I guess I must have smelt this rather than the motor.

Fast Forward to this evening when I decided to start it up and check things over. I was immediately confronted to the normal startup noise plus the 4 beeps (it did not originally do the 4 beeps). I've read around this subject a lot and it appears the hardware has been replaced with the older version. Do others agree with this and if so, is it worth taking it back to the dealer saying they have downgraded by quad!

Thanks for reading, any advice appreciated.

Fuzi

Pop the top off. It wont void your warranty. Use a razor or exacto knife to slit the stickers on the arms. Just don't fray the tiny screws at the end of the arms and carefully remove the GPS cable.

There are 4 boards on each arm. On the boards is a square QR barcode. Next to the barcode is a version number. If the one they replaced is version 2.1, then send it back have all the others replaced to ver 2.1.

On the vision plus sub forum, there is initial reports of version 2.0 hardware ESC with firmware that is NOT compatible with the motors which causes the mosfets on the ESC to burn out and/or the wires on the motors to melt and short out if there is an "obstruction" to the props.

If you have all 4 version 2.1 ESCs then (hopefully) you will be fine.

Here is the link.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32600

The 2.0 Escs do not make the extra beeps. It seems far from upgrading you from 2.0 to 2.1 they may have downgraded you. You need to speak to them.

Mako79 said:
On the vision plus sub forum, there is initial reports of version 2.0 hardware ESC with firmware that is NOT compatible with the motors which causes the mosfets on the ESC to burn out and/or the wires on the motors to melt and short out if there is an "obstruction" to the props

The pre v2 ESCs are not compatible with the new (2312) motors.
However all ESCs are flawed in that if you stall the prop it will blow the semiconductor. This is a hardware design limitation not a firmware issue.

Morning all,

I will pull it apart and check the boards tonight when I get home.

So what you are potentially saying is that they have replaced the ESCs with an older version which isn't actually compatible with the newer type motors. They said they only replaced one ESC, so if the other 3 are still original why do I get the 4 extra beeps, does that mean its coming from one unit only?

I did actually see that thread you linked previously but decided the Phantom 2 (non vision) might have been different, and therefore not relevant.

So for clarity the machine would have had V2.0, however since, a V2.1 has come out. And since the warranty, if they have replaced one that is any less than V2.0 I should take it back and complain.

Cheers

Fuzi

As I said you need to speak to them and ask them why you are getting four beeps. Does not sound right to me.

I thought the four extra beeps came about from switching the assistant software to NAZA mode from PHANTOM mode.

Why not take a video for us?

Right, I opened the phantom up this evening. And I saw something which I haven't seen mentioned before. The replacement ESC shows V3.8 with no QR code as per this pic. All other ESCs show V2.0. I can also confirm the 4 additional beeps only come from this V3.8 ESC.

Any suggestions?

file.php

Does that help in anyway?

If I recall V2.0 = 4.02
V2.1 = 4.06
(correct me if i'm wrong)

so... 3.8 could be an old esc. I would contact the repairer and confirm..

Reactions: Mark The Droner
fuziduck said:
Right, I opened the phantom up this evening. And I saw something which I haven't seen mentioned before. The replacement ESC shows V3.8 with no QR code as per this pic. All other ESCs show V2.0. I can also confirm the 4 additional beeps only come from this V3.8 ESC.

Any suggestions?
The same numbers on my white labels ( a mix of 2.0 and 2.1) are a different format and do not contain a "V..." substring. In fact they look much more like serial numbers.

My V2.1 has V2.1 above the number, the V2.0s have nothing above the number.

I think they have fitted old stock or even a second hand part to your quad. Why dont you ask them ?

Hughie said:
fuziduck said:

Any suggestions?
The same numbers on my white labels ( a mix of 2.0 and 2.1) are a different format and do not contain a "V..." substring. In fact they look much more like serial numbers.

I think they have fitted old stock or even a second hand part to your quad. Why dont you ask them ?

Armed with this info I have contacted them and currently waiting a reply.

He said the replacement part was from a new batch they had just received, but is going to confirm if its a different version and why there are now additional beeps.

fuziduck said:
Hughie said:
fuziduck said:

Any suggestions?

Armed with this info I have contacted them and currently waiting a reply.

He said the replacement part was from a new batch they had just received, but is going to confirm if its a different version and why there are now additional beeps.

Dust off your ******** detector :)

Made progress.

He thinks the last batch that came in were miss boxed. hmmmmm.

Anyway he has agreed that when their new batch of V2.0 controllers come in they will contact me to replace it.

To me it seems a bit worrying about how many controllers come in and how often they actually fail. One would hope this is a rare occurrence, but having a whole new batch of them in makes me think otherwise!

I just want this sorted now, I've only had 5 flights!

fuziduck said:
Made progress.

He thinks the last batch that came in were miss boxed. hmmmmm.

Anyway he has agreed that when their new batch of V2.0 controllers come in they will contact me to replace it.

To me it seems a bit worrying about how many controllers come in and how often they actually fail. One would hope this is a rare occurrence, but having a whole new batch of them in makes me think otherwise!

I just want this sorted now, I've only had 5 flights!

well if part of their business is repairing - it doesn't surprise me that they are getting bulk orders in....

now... how many other phantoms have they "repaired" and replaced with the incorrect older ESCs. All those people wont know until there is a crash. Sucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.