Phantom 2 - Setup help and discussion

Reaction score
I'm flying a Phantom 2 Vision Plus right now. Everything is going great. I want to upgrade to GoPro and Zenmuse gimbal, along with maybe Fatshark FPV system.

1. I have been told this is better to just buy another Phantom, the standard 2 with no stock gimbal / camera, and start here. True?

2. If people use iOSD mini with a FPV system via monitor on the ground, GoPro and Zenmuse gimbal to run video, how do they shoot photos when needed?

3. Is it possible to run dual FPV systems? Say a monitor on the ground along with FPV Fatshark goggles? Do i need two iOSD minis inside the Phantom?

Cheers

1. Yes

2. Either grab still frames off the video or set the GoPro to timelapse or dual video and photos setting. If its just for stills you could use 4k at 15fps which will give around an 8mega pixel equivilent and pick your frame.

You start the camera before take off and stop recording when you land

3. Most screens have a video out into which you can plug goggles. Same image is displayed on both including telemetry.

Only 1 IOSD mini is needed

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

voodoo said:
1. I have been told this is better to just buy another Phantom, the standard 2 with no stock gimbal / camera, and start here. True?
If you plan on using the Zenmuse gimbal then you're better off getting the Phantom 2/Gimbal combo to save some $$.

I already have the Phantom 2 Vision Plus, and was hoping to just upgrade this rather than buy an entirely new rig. Having 2 phantoms is good in some scenarios, but having one better rig (gopro and zenmuse) vs P2VP isn't going to help too too much.

Cheers. Thanks for the help

voodoo said:
I already have the Phantom 2 Vision Plus, and was hoping to just upgrade this rather than buy an entirely new rig.
Unfortunately, I don't know much about the Vision line and I'm not sure it's even possible to use a Zenmuse on a Vision. This question might fare better in the Vision+ sub.

Alright. So I'll get the Phantom 2 + Zenmuse H3-3D combo

I'm trying to understand the full setup. I'll also need:

GoPro 3 (probably Hero3+)
iOSD mini - which provides Phantom info for my FPV system which is either,
a monitor or Fatshark goggles
and I need something like DJI AVL58 for the video feed

anything else? Do people use transmitter range extenders?

Thanks!

If you already have a top notch flying camera with a $700.00 gimbal/camera that takes buttery smooth videos and pictures,why get another "flying camera" but instead get that FPV rush with a Fatshark system. using the camera that comes with it there is also, for the goggles,a head tracking feature. you can have as many monitors, goggles as you want.. take passengers flying with you.

personally with the high cost of p2 battery i prefer a phantom v1.x most all the same motors etc as the p2.

so you have lots of options. I have 3 fatshark goggles and having a second quad is fantastic, especially since I can use the P1 to test fly a route prior to using the flying camera (the vision plus)
Oh don't forget iôsd and dvr to record your fpv flights with telemetry.

Thanks for the tips Wedeliver.

Some more questions:

1. Are there any problems with video feed and things blocking the communication / connection? Like flying on the other side of a large structure and going well outside of line-of-site. I worry about future scenarios relying 100% on FPV and then there's a comm issue or system failure, and then you have no way to safely recover the quad.

2. What about control redundancy? Can phantoms have this?

3. How to pilots protect against radio interference / malicious activity with communication lines during flying?

Cheers

voodoo said:
Thanks for the tips Wedeliver.

Some more questions:

1. Are there any problems with video feed and things blocking the communication / connection? Like flying on the other side of a large structure and going well outside of line-of-site. I worry about future scenarios relying 100% on FPV and then there's a comm issue or system failure, and then you have no way to safely recover the quad.

2. What about control redundancy? Can phantoms have this?

3. How to pilots protect against radio interference / malicious activity with communication lines during flying?

Cheers

Very good questions but I am unable to provide good answers.

1. Yes, there can be problems with having things block the signal from the RC Transmitter and the bird.
2. When you say "Control Redundancy" do you mean having two RC Transmitters.. I know you can bind more then one to your bird, but can they work together I have no experience.
3. I have never tried to protect myself and again, your question is beyond my abilities.

good luck with finding the answers you seek! and have fun flying
Craig

Cheers[/quote]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav