Phantom 2 - Questions and Configuration Recommendations

Reaction score
Here is the configuration I am considering:

Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition
FPV using Boscam 5.8Ghz transmitter w/7" monitor mounted to remote or tripod
iOSD Mini for flight data
Garmin GTU 10 GPS Tracker

I think it is a pretty standard setup, but if anyone has any recommendations, I would welcome them.

A few questions:

*The Phantom 2 Vision has the ability to designate GPS coordinates for the copter to fly to using an iPad. Is that done by the internal NAVA so that this unit will also perform the same function? If not, is there another way to accomplish this?

*Do I need a separate GPS tracker? Does the Phantom have the ability to broadcast a signal for tracking with the FPV setup?

*Is there way to remotely control the camera to take pictures and start recording or do I just need to set the GoPro 3+ to take pictures at set intervals?

The basic function of this quad copter is to take aerial pictures for topography. Eventually, I would like to upgrade to mount a SLR-type camera if I can figure out the weight and mod a mount. Again, if anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You'll want to mount the monitor to your controller so you're not pinned in one spot.

As for your questions, the ground station capability to enter waypoints and navigate autonomously is a separate add-on for which the firmware is not ready yet. DJI says it should be with us soon.

There's no built in tracking capability. If you get the OSD with your FPV, it will provide details about how far it has travelled and in which direction, etc. but if your Phantom flies beyond the distance your FPV can transmit, you will not have any data about it's final destination. Also note, there is no recorded information with FPV unless you get a portable DVR so again, it has limited use for tracking.

No remote control of the GoPro while in the air. Best to set GoPro to record and take pics at the same time or set it up to take time lapse shots. You can use the FPV to frame the shots. The FPV will blink like a shutter to tell you when it is taking a picture.

SLR is likely beyond the weight limits of the P2.

Thanks for confirming many of my questions.

I would want to mount the monitor on a tripod if I have others there that need to frame a view for pictures for the topos. It wouldn't happen much, but if they are in the field, I would prefer they not be crowding over my shoulder to line up a shot.

Glad to hear future upgrades would allow GPS waypoints. I can work around it in the meantime. I work with surveyors that can probably get me to the points they need.

Good to know the GoPro will "blink" so I know I got a shot.

I will probably have to move up to a larger copter for SLR. I have seen a Sony mount for the Phantom with a remote mechanism, but all of that is down the road. I need to get good at this first!

Did you see anything that needs tweaking on the configuration?

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20