phantom 2 plus vision antenna upgrade

Reaction score
i put a cable in my controller and got a tp link 5dbi antenna but I'm only getting about 900 feet. i need help. I'm getting less range now

clyoungphantom said:
i put a cable in my controller and got a tp link 5dbi antenna but I'm only getting about 900 feet. i need help. I'm getting less range now

Is your antenna for 2.4ghz or 5.8ghz? An Omni or a directional? I would guess you have bought a 2.4ghz Omni directional antenna if we are talking about your RC, which is probably why you are getting poor range...

2G4 antenna's deliver marginal results on a 5G8 TX.....these little 5G8 panels are cheap but effective and available on ebay from a variety of sellers...just keep it pointed at the bird and you're good to go until you've got some time and research under your belt and you're ready to kick it up a notch.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLYSIGHT-5-8-GH ... 5412a4c2b1

mede8er said:
2G4 antenna's deliver marginal results on a 5G8 TX.....these little 5G8 panels are cheap but effective and available on ebay from a variety of sellers...just keep it pointed at the bird and you're good to go until you've got some time and research under your belt and you're ready to kick it up a notch.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLYSIGHT-5-8-GH ... 5412a4c2b1
what can i get for max range like yourself

[quote="clyoungphantom"*]
what can i get for max range like yourself[/quote]

Well...For the vision +I build my own array's using itElite flat panels with appropriate amps.......2G4 dual polarization and 5G8 vertical polarization....others use Horizon or FPVLR Helicals....perhaps they'll chime in.....

itElite1_zps34b60aa8.jpg

itElite2_zps67ce1446.jpg

mede8er said:
[quote="clyoungphantom"*]
what can i get for max range like yourself

Well...For the vision +I build my own array's using itElite flat panels with appropriate amps.......2G4 dual polarization and 5G8 vertical polarization....others use Horizon or FPVLR Helicals....perhaps they'll chime in..... [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Did you do anything to the copter side to get that 3.2 miles? Or just build that antenna?

I moved the stock antennas out of the battery compartment and mounted them facing front and rear of the bird so that they'd be oriented towards me both going out and coming back....

ant2_zpsa9523fad.jpg

ant1_zpsdba21291.jpg

the panel antenna says it can be used on 2.4 and 5.8 ghz so can i use this for fpv and on my controller range guess its the tx the part that controls the phantoms movment

Wholly crap! Just watched the video!

I'm still a rookie, but I get nervous when I lose visual of my phantom!

BUT... I want one of those kick butt reach-out-and-touch-someone antennas!

Good job! I may look up plans on something like that later on down the road!

Couchie said:
Wholly crap! Just watched the video!

I'm still a rookie, but I get nervous when I lose visual of my phantom!

BUT... I want one of those kick butt reach-out-and-touch-someone antennas!

Good job! I may look up plans on something like that later on down the road!
Antenna's are meaningless now,,,,save your money.....

With the new waypoint feature and ilovecofee's app mod just set your course for 16,000 ft out and return....your bird will complete it's mission regardless of radio/fpv contact....

Jason Haynes proved that last month with his 3.1 mile flight....

Your only concern today is battery life...

varmint said:
mede8er said:
Antenna's are meaningless now,,,,save your money.....

Meaningless if all you want to to is blindly fly a ground station flight plan without having a clue what your framing/filming, or having any FPV capability whatsoever. Other than that, yeah antennas are highly overrated :roll:

Dude....the sarcasm smilies weren't working that day..... :mrgreen:

mede8er said:
Just posted my 3.2 mile compressed vid....check it out in my sig....
@mede8er,
Can you comment on the flight experience:
Did you have FPV and telemetry throughout the flight?
How are you keeping your antenna aimed at the bird when it is out of LOS ?

Foosy said:
mede8er said:
Just posted my 3.2 mile compressed vid....check it out in my sig....
@mede8er,
Can you comment on the flight experience:
Did you have FPV and telemetry throughout the flight?
How are you keeping your antenna aimed at the bird when it is out of LOS ?

First of all let me say that no one I know has ever just slapped some antenna's on and flew 3 miles! In fact, I have far more failures than successes.... flying conditions most importantly as battery life is the chief opponent of long distance flight...

You may notice on my YouTube channel I hit the 2 mile mark in Aug of this year, didn't hit 3 miles until more than 2 months later, and failed many times in between. Yes, this mission was flawless in that I had full fpv and remote control throughout although I went through a couple tense moments where fpv was getting sketchy.....

As you can see at the end of the vid, I'm using some pretty large flat panels for this flight. I am driving those panels hard with 2000mw on the 5G8 panel and 2000mw (1k + 1k) through each 2G4 MIMO panel..

My aiming calc's for this height and distance were at approx 5 degreee tilt, using my camera to trace a route I felt comfortably aimed toward..

After all, this IS rocket science.... :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj