Phantom 2 or 2 vision+???

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide which quad to buy. What are the positives and negatives?

I already have a hero 3, so I was looking at the Phantom 2 with zen muse 3d gimbal. I called dji and it sounds like the fpv is a bit of a challenge to set up plus the added expense, even with the hero 3 I think the vision 2+ is a bit cheaper because I'd have to buy a monitor etc.

Is it worth it to get the fpv stuff and use my hero 3? Having the rtf package of the vision 2+ sounds nice but I'd rather go the route that's gonna last me a while.

Thanks!

If you own a GoPro 3+ Black or 3 Black... I'd go for the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D. It has the power/video cable waiting for the videotransmitter. You can get "cheapish" FPV set from HobbyKing...

The range of control with Vision+ is much much shorter than what you can get with P2 +you get much much better footage with GoPro. I've also heard that there are problems with Vision+ and its short range of control.

+1 for the Phantom 2 non vision

I was in the same bost as you. I went with the p2 h33d and go pro plus black. I read so much and decided it was the better option. Easier to replace if I crash. And it seems the fpv systems work a bit better than the iPhone setup. I am going to use mine for some commercial use so I thought the 7" screen would work better. I hear mixed reviews on the quality of the feed. Hopefully I should have mine this week.

Knowing what i know now and the poor resolution of the app on larger screens, I would have gone with the 2 so I could have lightbridge and a larger screen for fpv.

That said I love my plus !!

:D

Other groups offered no help at all. I'm pretty happy to have a bit of feedback on this, thanks!

The Plus offers a great package ready to fly, nothing to add or configure for an unbeatable price.
Its camera is no Nikon D800 but it's not that much different from a Gopro for most purposes.
It's hard to ignore the value the Plus offers.

Meta4 said:
The Plus offers a great package ready to fly, nothing to add or configure for an unbeatable price.
Its camera is no Nikon D800 but it's not that much different from a Gopro for most purposes.
It's hard to ignore the value the Plus offers.

I agree for an out of the box no frills flying camera platform I think its great myself !

:D

I debated as well and bought the +, due to the fact of (i) increased cost and hassle in setting up FPV, and (ii) lack of ability to control camera in flight if you go the GoPro route. With the +, you can take photos, start and stop video, and have the OSD with altitude, orientation (which is very helpful), speed, etc.

Yes, you would think GoPro camera quality is better, but i honestly couldn't find a difference in looking at various photos and videos (although I'm sure it's there). And yes, the range in the 2 is better than the plus, but haven't run into that issue yet, and there are workarounds out there when I do.

So, what did it for me, was the "soup to nuts" solution that was only $1,300, including great camera, great gimbel, OSD, FPV, etc etc. Couldn't be happier.

Geert said:
If I had to start over again I would go for the P2.
Seems that the camera and gimbal from the P2V+ are very fragile.

Me too.

My distressingly delicate V+ gimbal broke and I'm looking for a more robust alternative.

No point buying another fragile part. I'd rather pay extra to get a system that's somewhat forgiving.

Lasvegascfp said:
Having the rtf package of the vision 2+ sounds nice but I'd rather go the route that's gonna last me a while.

Only buy the P2V+ if you're 100% certain it will never hit the ground or if you can afford to lose $700 per bump (when parts are available).

Nice unit until you crash and then not so nice at all.

Another warning, when you break the delicate V+ gimbal(whether your fault or not), some nasty people around here rub salt in the wound.

I bought the PV2+ and I sort of regret it. The quality and capabilities of the GoPro camera are much better, even though it'll ultimately cost more money and you'll get less flight time due to the added weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I currently have a P2V and I was pretty distressed when the P2V+ came out. The pricing was very close to what I'd spent three months prior and it had a three axis gimbal on board. It didn't seem fair. :shock:

Now that I've seen so many reports regarding the fragility of the P2V+ camera and gimbal, I'm relieved I didn't run out and buy one. :)

That leaves me looking at my current setup with the addition of a gimbal. The only gimbal I'm interested in, at the moment, is the RotorPixel. Now that Keri has finally gone into injection molding the plastic bits I think the floodgates are finally about to open. This would give me a pretty stable, robust, platform with all the telemetry that the FC200 camera brings. The the camera itself isn't the greatest, but the gimbal makes video footage actually usable. :D

The third alternative would be the P2 with the DJI gimbal. You'd have to add a camera (a GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition for instance) as well as FPV hardware. You won't be getting the telemetry that's available on the P2V aircraft, but you'll be on a platform that uses a 2.4GHZ transmitter which would allow you to pick up a third party transmitter with much more flexibility and more options... And you have a lot more flexibility regarding camera choices.

I'm also waiting on a few new DJI competitors to finally release their "Phantom killers" to see what the actual pros and cons are going to be on their platforms. And there are a few competitors already in place that I'm watching closely.

There are no easy decisions on this issue at the moment... Good luck... :D

-slinger

I would (and did) go with the P2 for the same reasons mentioned above. The only thing that bugs me about that set up vs. The P2+ is the lack of camera control from the ground, specifically start/stop record and taking stills.

Im in the same boat, looking to buy new Phantom. already have the go pro black.
is the extended wifi range on the P2+ worth the tradeoff of the other issues previously mentioned?

+1 for phantom 2(non-vision). You do realize that the vision uses 5.8G for radio rx/tx. If you have any hopes of upgrading down the road, (better fpv, change to a better radio and need to replace the rx, etc, better camera(gopro 4?) it would be a bit harder since the standard seems to be 2.4 G tx/rx for the radio.(5.8G for fpv)

I went with the non-vision, knowing that I would probably want to do my own upgrades, which I ended up doing and did not like being locked into that vision platform.

Khudson7 said:
+1 for phantom 2(non-vision). You do realize that the vision uses 5.8G for radio rx/tx. If you have any hopes of upgrading down the road, (better fpv, change to a better radio and need to replace the rx, etc, better camera(gopro 4?) it would be a bit harder since the standard seems to be 2.4 G tx/rx for the radio.(5.8G for fpv)

I went with the non-vision, knowing that I would probably want to do my own upgrades, which I ended up doing and did not like being locked into that vision platform.

Well said. Owning a P2V, that's exactly my problem.

-slinger

kjopc said:
Lasvegascfp said:
Having the rtf package of the vision 2+ sounds nice but I'd rather go the route that's gonna last me a while.

Only buy the P2V+ if you're 100% certain it will never hit the ground or if you can afford to lose $700 per bump (when parts are available).

Nice unit until you crash and then not so nice at all.

Another warning, when you break the delicate V+ gimbal(whether your fault or not), some nasty people around here rub salt in the wound.
well I broke it this morning thanks to VRS in RTH mode. You're right it's very fragile.

seabird said:
Im in the same boat, looking to buy new Phantom. already have the go pro black.
is the extended wifi range on the P2+ worth the tradeoff of the other issues previously mentioned?
Not sure if you bought yet but while the rtf package is nice they are right the gimbal is easily broken.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4