Phantom 2 Non-Vision - Two Motors twitch only

Reaction score
I have about 2 hours on my new phantom and when preparing to fly today after initializing everything and getting green I began to throttle up and only two motors would spin up. Two of the motors diagonally across from each other would just twitch and chatter. I power cycled, waited for green and got the same result. I am at the latest firmware on all, I replaced the firmware over writing the existing copy, power cycled and re-calibrated. All looks good. But two of the motors are still not functioning correctly.

This is pretty disappointing to say the least. Any ideas on what the best route would be to take for a repair? Obviously calling DJI and returning the unit is an option but what could I expect from that, how long etc? I tossed the OEM packaging and all I have is a receipt from Amazon. I would think there is a motor speed controller and perhaps that has failed. I am not really wanting to take apart my phantom and begin to solder and replace parts..

Any experiences with this issue?

Have you fitted prop guards ?

I had this issue because I fitted prop guards.

On my Phantom, I fitted prop guards straight away, but the screws (bolts) which I used were too long, and shorted out the motors.
Fortunately when I removed the prop guards, I'd not done any permanent damage.

If you have fitted prop guards, remove them and try again.

Otherwise, it sounds like some of your motors are defective.

Amazing, your exactly right. I put prop guards on, took them off and used the same screws. Meaning I guess they were too long. That was right after my last flight.

I guess I will remove the screws and see if the motors work if not I will have to have the motors replaced I guess. Dang...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take the guards off and see if the motors are OK.

My motors seem to be OK after I removed the screws. The screws barely touched the insides of the motors.
I looked with a watchmakers eye piece and the screws had scraped off the insulation on some wires of the windings and would have been shorting them together via the screw.

But when I removed the screws everything was OK

I posted to RC Groups forum about this, and was recommended to take the motors apart and put nail varnish on the wires (windings) that were scraped by the ends of the screws.

So what I did was put nail varnish down through the screw holes with a small screw driver to act as a mini brush.

At the moment my motors still seem to be OK after several flights.

BTW. The other thing I did to test the motors was to tie the phantom down to a heavy wooden stool, and the applied full power and left it going for several minutes, as well as moving both joysticks though their full motion over and over again to simulate very extreme loads on the motors.

After this appeared to be OK, I then went for a test flight and it was OK.

But of course if you have damaged the motors, you'll need to get some new ones :-( (My commiserations)

Yup couldn't sleep after reading your reply.. Took it out of the case and removed all of the screws and tried the motors. One of the bad ones seems fine now, but now two others are acting up. I replaced all of the screws with the correct ones and tried again. Three motors are bad. I am sort of freaking a bit but I did find a good tutorial video on replacing a motor. So I guess its off to buy a soldering iron and the works. I will have to order the motors, which I think at this point It only makes sense to do all of them.

Just when I was thinking this could be a hobby without the drama.. I had just bought a case and was pretty proud of that, next thing on the list was a good FPV system. Here we go down the rabbit hole....

Thanks, for the help.. I will make my own "train wreck" how not to do video I guess..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IamVYNuXJJw[/youtube]

Sorry to hear the motors are blown.

Unfortunately there is a possibility that the ESC's are blown as well :-(
But you won't really be able to tell until you replace the motors.

I unsoldered 2 of my motors, but I found it easier to unscrew the ESC boards first to get my soldering iron onto the connections without getting close to the case and melting it.

Take photos of the motor wiring when you reconnect the motors, the motor direction is controlled by the wiring not some setting in the ESC (or so it appears).

I've had quite a few problems with my Phantom. I did the thing with the blade guards, and then my RC transmitter got a fault were it fails after between 5 and 10 mins of use i.e when the Phantom was in the air.
Luckily the home point was set and it came back !!!!

I've had to but a futaba T8FG RC system to replace the RC system that came with the phantom - which has almost doubled the price of the cost so far.

I've only just got the Phantom working again, so I'm now waiting for a good day to do some more flight testing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.