Phantom 2 NAZA v2 in Phantom 1?

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So i'm waiting for some parts to come in the mail for a downed Phantom one I picked up on Craigslist, but I'm getting more and more worried that the NAZA itself is bad... I found a local shop that has the NAZA v2 specifically for phantom 2, and they'd sell it to me for 35. (Just NAZA v2, nothing else)

My question is would it be a plug and play into my phantom 1 or will it need some mods?

I'm new to the phantom game, but i'm really enjoying learning the internals and inner workings of these guys.

Thanks!

Nick,
What leads you to believe that the NAZA installed in your P1 is bad?

The NAZA's would be the last thing in your Phantom that should go bad....

Fred

P.S. You have to assume the worst in a crashed Phantom but depending on what the problems are, props, motors, ESC's, broken electrical/mechanical connections and then damaged circuit boards (IN THAT ORDER) are much more likely the cause of any problems your having.

Describe better what your problems are and maybe we can help you decide what to do next.

Reactions: Nick Del Vecchio
Nick,
What leads you to believe that the NAZA installed in your P1 is bad?

The NAZA's would be the last thing in your Phantom that should go bad....

Fred

P.S. You have to assume the worst in a crashed Phantom but depending on what the problems are, props, motors, ESC's, broken electrical/mechanical connections and then damaged circuit boards (IN THAT ORDER) are much more likely the cause of any problems your having.

Describe better what your problems are and maybe we can help you decide what to do next.

Hey Fred,

thanks for the response! I posed in the help section a couple days ago, and as I kept poking around more, I started looking at the NAZA the more I read... What would determine if the ESCs are bad? I'm thinking whatever tells the drone that it's level or unlevel is the culprit of it flipping before it leaves the ground.
Also if it helps, when it's in "idle", it seems as if certain motors speed up/slow down randomly without me touching the throttle... I'll get a video later today after I replace the receiver!

Last edited:
Hey Fred,

thanks for the response! I posed in the help section a couple days ago, and as I kept poking around more, I started looking at the NAZA the more I read... What would determine if the ESCs are bad? I'm thinking whatever tells the drone that it's level or unlevel is the culprit of it flipping before it leaves the ground.
Also if it helps, when it's in "idle", it seems as if certain motors speed up/slow down randomly without me touching the throttle... I'll get a video later today after I replace the receiver!
I looked at your post in the help section and it gives some hints about what might be wrong with your P1.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "I got it connected and responding." Have the constantly blinking yellow lights been replaced by a mixed pattern of yellow, green and red blinking lights. Until that happens you have not fixed the binding problem.

Assuming that you got the red/green/yellow lights, if your P1 tips over when you try to fly it, double check that proper props are on the proper motors and that they are securely attached. Always use undamaged props and make sure they are balanced.

If the props check out OK, one or more motors and/or their respective ESC's may be damaged.
Each motor should spin freely with no scrapping feeling.... if not, either the motor or its connected ESC has been damaged. There's no easy way to tell if an ESC is bad unless you can see some burned out or broken circuit traces on the the ESC. Its usually best to replace both the ESC AND Motor if either is bad.

You could have other problems but the tip over at launch is mostly caused by one or more improperly operating props, motors or esc's.

P.S. Uneven (or random changes in the motor speed) is most likely caused by a damaged ESC. The ESC's job is to smoothly and accurately control the motor its attached to.

There probably are multiple problems with a crashed quad and unless you like to spend a lot of time learning how all the components work together and also like troubleshooting you may not fly reliably any time soon.;)

Reactions: Nick Del Vecchio
I looked at your post in the help section and it gives some hints about what might be wrong with your P1.

I'm not sure what you meant when you said "I got it connected and responding." Have the constantly blinking yellow lights been replaced by a mixed pattern of yellow, green and red blinking lights. Until that happens you have not fixed the binding problem.

Assuming that you got the red/green/yellow lights, if your P1 tips over when you try to fly it, double check that proper props are on the proper motors and that they are securely attached. Always use undamaged props and make sure they are balanced.

If the props check out OK, one or more motors and/or their respective ESC's may be damaged.
Each motor should spin freely with no scrapping feeling.... if not, either the motor or its connected ESC has been damaged. There's no easy way to tell if an ESC is bad unless you can see some burned out or broken circuit traces on the the ESC. Its usually best to replace both the ESC AND Motor if either is bad.

You could have other problems but the tip over at launch is mostly caused by one or more improperly operating props, motors or esc's.

P.S. Uneven (or random changes in the motor speed) is most likely caused by a damaged ESC. The ESC's job is to smoothly and accurately control the motor its attached to.

There probably are multiple problems with a crashed quad and unless you like to spend a lot of time learning how all the components work together and also like troubleshooting you may not fly reliably any time soon.;)

Hey Fred!

OK. so after all of that it's now 100%!! I took your advice and poked through each motor/esc. theres a couple that feel a bit tight, but nothing thats unusable. thanks for getting the new NAZA out of my thought process.
I replaced the receiver, and the LED/USB. once I got it connected to the computer, I upgraded to the most recent firmware, did a hard reset on all the settings and then re-calibrated the Gyro, Transmitter, Compass in that order. it's now put back together, and I have it flying around my living room/backyard.

MAN. I have to say this is SO much more stable than the little drones i've flown in the past. i'm STOKED to finally get into the larger drones. once I get comfortable with this one, i'll have to jump into one with a camera.

Nick,

Very glad to hear all is well...

The Phantoms are all known for their stability and reliability, so you're going to be having a lot of fun.

Bear in mind that they're not designed to fly indoors and or do any aggressive flying. They're an excellent learning tool for someone interested in becoming a good pilot.

Enjoy flying and remember to be fly safely.

Fred

P.S. If you haven't done so already read up on LiPo batteries... learning how to treat them well will save you a lot of money in the future.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan