Phantom 2 Main board - Temp sensor??

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has hooked up to the Temperature sensor terminals on the main board. I was going to place a temp probe inside the phantom's body, but thought I would ask if anyone knew the hookup or specs for doing this at the board level.

I'm copying a photo from another thread, thanks to pixmanlajunta for the photo already numbered...also to OI photography and CityZen for the decipher on what's what on the image.

Item 20 is the Temperature pads....

1, 4, 7, 10: ESC ports (for the speed controllers in each arm)
2: + lead to battery connector
3: - lead to battery connector
5: Fan (not used), Vision 2+, with just the middle wire attaching to the Wifi module (to the white plug near the antenna connectors)
6: Motor control
8: Receiver connection A, plugs in to X1 on the NAZA
9: Receiver connection B, plugs in to X2 on the NAZA
11: Has 2 cables. The one with a 4-pin plug is the data connection to the NAZA, plugs in to EXP port. The one with a 3-pin plug is the power for the NAZA, plugs in to X3
12: Compass port (cable from the leg). The big black port hidden by that cable in your pic (and not numbered) is for the GPS cable in the lid of the Phantom
13: For the CANBUS port on the other leg
14: is labelled "Exp" (expansion?) on the motherboard. It's not plugged in to anything
15: Data connection to battery (to monitor and validate it)
16: Zenmuse gimbal connection
17: Video and power output for OSD/FPV Transmitter
18: NAZA v2
19: Receiver board
20: Connection for temp sensor (Not used, in regular P2 anyway)

Attachments

• phantom2boards.jpg
    phantom2boards.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 3,314
RichWest said:
I was wondering if anyone has hooked up to the Temperature sensor terminals on the main board. I was going to place a temp probe inside the phantom's body, but thought I would ask if anyone knew the hookup or specs for doing this at the board level.

I haven't read about anybody doing this... But I guess my next question would be, if the firmware isnt programmed to use it... How would you retrieve/use that data?

Good point. I have a data logger for Temp - EL-USB-TC - http://www.lascarelectronics.com/temper ... logger=364

I was hoping the pads would allow for a set of wires to be connected and then possibly connect to the logger. I'm unsure of the output from the board's terminals, whether they are already calibrated varying output or they were simply thermal pads for the main board's temp. This solution would be more ideal than just placing a temp probe into the cabin, my current solution.

I guess I'll need to fire up the unit and see if any voltage is there and if it varies as the unit warms up. As it sits, there is resistance between the two pads. My electronic foo is very limited, many of you are experts. My end results, I would like to log the interior heat load, since I have a heat compounding flight area in my neck of the woods. Just trying to save batteries and have less heat related wifi issues.

I can tell you (based on the Phantom schematic from here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2269089#post29736036) that the Temp pin goes through a 10K pull-up resistor to 3.3V, as well as to an A/D pin on the microcontroller.

I don't know if it's designed to work with a standard PT100 temperature sensor, but that might be something easy to try first.

More than likely, the intention was to control the speed of a fan attached to the FAN connector. However, without the fan, there's probably not much point to the sensor.

Did this pan out? I need advice about adding an ambient temp sensor to my Phantom2. I will be photographing a controlled burn soon. Sure would be nice to know air temp so I don't get too close. I'm using an iOSD Mini but I'm guessing that's a closed system. Can I add this option to a second party transmitter like Turnigy 9XPro? Appreciate any responses. Thanks.

Matt

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair