Phantom 2 - live video viewing?

Reaction score
Hi, I intend to use my Phantom 2 with my GoPro3+ Black once I can fly it well enough to be fairly sure not to crash and burn.:eek:
My GoPro can be watched live from my iPad - but I heard that I should not do this while flying it on a drone, as it messes up my connection.:(
This worries me - as i would very much like a live feed from the GoPro as it flies with my drone (quadcopter, whatever!) ;)
However, I heard there are ways to watch it without running the risk of losing control of the drone - can anyone explain these in VERY simple terms? Is there something that connects the GoPro to the drone's broadcaster?o_O
Basically I want to watch feed in the safest way possible!!
Thank you!
Baldrick

You just need to fit a Video TX on the P2 as its already got the wiring ready to connect to and you then need a matching RX for the ground like goggles or a simple LCD monitor with video RX. You don't want to use the GoPro's wifi as it will screw up the control.... plus the range aint that good... You can do these for less than a $/£100 mark...

Reactions: Baldrick
But I do have one more question, I was wondering if I could use my iPad as the monitor instead of the black pearl? Is that possible?

no,if you look the black pearl has antenna ports...

The P2 remote control is on the 2.4 Ghz frequency band.
The live video cannot be on this frequency, 2.4 Ghz, since it would interfere with remote control.
The live video needs to be on another frequency, 5.8 Ghz is used because the antennas and transmitter and receiver are small in size.
One could use UHF, 1.2 Ghz, or 400 Mhz but you may need a Ham Radio License. These frequencies transmit better through trees and
other objects at a greater distance. The antennas are larger because of the longer wavelength.

I fitted an Immersion RC tx on my P2 and use a Black Pearl monitor to receive and view the images for FPV. The other thing I added was a mini iOSD, as the information from this piggy backs on the video transmission and gives you live flight data - height, distance, speed, remaining battery life etc, which I find very useful.

Thanks guys for contributing so well to my thread it helped me out also! I have another question - looking at the "Immersion RC tx" - Can I use any monitor like the Pearl (looking at ebay) that receives 5.8gHz? Can I buy and match? Or should I get it as a kit? And is there any advice on how best to do it?

I bought the immersion RC tx. As well as the dji iosd on screen display. Now all I have to buy is the black pearl screen and I'm done right?

you also need a cable to connect it all and some antennas... oh and a mount for the monitor..,

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A1B4NXVT28UN7Y

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ue&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_2&smid=A1RBLQVLQZYMDB

http://www.amazon.com/Teenitor-Moni..._sim_21_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0B6KAZZ2ZXPDR60HM7TW

Reactions: Michael11219
Thanks guys for contributing so well to my thread it helped me out also! I have another question - looking at the "Immersion RC tx" - Can I use any monitor like the Pearl (looking at ebay) that receives 5.8gHz? Can I buy and match? Or should I get it as a kit? And is there any advice on how best to do it?

I'm a newb also, but I believe any monitor that receives 5.8GHz will work.

I also believe you get what you pay for...

heard to many good things about the black pearl...

mounts are cheap, but suit yourself...

Always been one for a personal touch myself - like to put some handiwork into a bought design

cool, when you build it, show it to us...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic