Phantom 2 just going down for no reason??

Reaction score
We've had our drone for about 6 months now with no issues at all, but recently it will just descend for no reason and will not respond to the controls, it will lightly bounce off the ground and then we will regain control, or sometimes just right before it touches down we will regain control.... sometimes it will go 3-4 flights without doing it, then it will do it a couple times in one flight. It's not doing the return to home routine, it's just descending wherever it is. it's making me very nervous.... luckly we've been over grass or parking lot each time it's done it so far.... but if I was over a body of water or something like that, I'd be screwed..... any ideas???

I have the Zenmuse 3 axis gimbal and a FPV system on it also.. it was a B&H Photo full kit.

Possibly going into autoland? Watch and take note of the battery voltage, not the percentage.

PacecarProductions said:
what would effect the voltage, and if so, why would it start responding again after it bounces off the ground?

The voltage drops as the battery is discharged. This low(er) voltage will trigger certain responses by the flight control system such as 'auto-land' for example.
As it begins to land the drain or load on the battery decreases and this may allow the voltage to recover somewhat and allow 'normal' operation again until the voltage drops or 'sags' again. Best to land and get another battery.

As the battery ages it's capacity diminishes and this 'sagging' can occur sooner than in your past experiences so it seems like 'for no reason'.

It's done it a few minutes after takeoff with a brand new battery... I was above 80% on battery percentage, then it's done it with about 50% and then some with lower percentages, we rarely fly with under 25% left.

If you regain control after bouncing, check your connections for loose or dry solders, loose connectors, stuff like that.

Re: Vs: Phantom 2 just going down for no reason??

PacecarProductions said:
It's done it a few minutes after takeoff with a brand new battery... I was above 80% on battery percentage, then it's done it with about 50% and then some with lower percentages, we rarely fly with under 25% left.
That is wery common issue with p2..
There is threads about that in rcgroups.

Nothing happens without a cause. I'd say it's going into auto-land. Why you can't control it at that point is unclear. I think one version of the firmware prevented you from regaining control unless you switched to ATTI and back. Make sure everything is up to date. Switch to ATTI and back if it happens again. You should be able to maintain control. In auto-land, you will need to apply much more throttle to arrest the descent.

ianwood said:
Nothing happens without a cause. I'd say it's going into auto-land. Why you can't control it at that point is unclear. I think one version of the firmware prevented you from regaining control unless you switched to ATTI and back. Make sure everything is up to date. Switch to ATTI and back if it happens again. You should be able to maintain control. In auto-land, you will need to apply much more throttle to arrest the descent.

Agreed. :arrow:

Re: Vs: Phantom 2 just going down for no reason??

scubari said:
PacecarProductions said:
That is wery common issue with p2..
There is threads about that in rcgroups.

Do you have any info on that? I don't guess I'm a part of the rcgroups. Is there a common fix to go along with this common issue?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik