Phantom 2 + ImmersionRC 5.8ghz CRASH (need advice!)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had an issue with my phantom a while back where I tried out my new POV system.

It consists of a Phantom 2 & Gopro mounted on the zenmuse 3d...

The FPV was an Immersion RC 5.8ghz transmitter on the phantom, spironet antennas (including the patch antenna), and the black pearl monitor as the receiver...

I copied the set-up from another person's rig so I assumed it had to work for at least one other person.

However when I took it out for the first flight it lost control and wanted to fly away even if I changed the controller out of GPS mode... It just decided to take off in one direction only giving me the ability to adjust altitude... So I had to crash it into the ground in order to prevent it from flying away. The zenmuse was destroyed during that flight... I did a second test without the zenmuse and gopro and the **** thing did it again (this time crashing into a house).

The phantom would follow directional commands for a while but when I would let it hover in one spot it would seem to be doing little circles in place.

Anyways the phantom and zenmuse had to be sent in for repairs. I just got them back today after a couple months.

Can anyone provide me with some steps to ensure this doesn't happen again? I heard I could run tests on the phantom using my computer... Any advice?

Thanks guys!

Sorry to hear about your troubles, it sucks when stuff like that happens. I'm using the same exact equipment you've listed, and have never had the control problems you've described. I really do not think your loss of control is related to your FPV set-up unless it's related to your wiring. Assuming you didn't interfere with any of the internals of your Phantom on install, I think it's coincidental. Since you sent it back for repairs, your Phantom should be like new. First, fly your Phantom w/o your FPV gear to confirm the Phantom is working as it should. Once that is confirmed, then carefully re-install your FPV gear. Make sure you don't get anything magnetic close to your compass. Perform an IMU calibration (might not be necessary, but doing so will eliminate another variable) and perform a compass calibration (again, may not be necessary, but will eliminate another variable). If you did everything correctly, you should have no issues.

I know, once bitten twice shy. I've installed several FPV kits on my multiple Phantom fleet as well as for other people. I've even installed FPV on my 1/8 scale buggys. Not one time have I had a loss of control.

fastsmiles said:
Did you have a good satellite lock before taking off?

Whereas I agree a good satellite lock is important, I'm comfortable taking off with as few as 5 satellites. I get impatient and it seems like forever trying to get to a 7 satellite lock. I may launch with 5 satellites, but usually within 15-20 seconds it'll acquire 7+ satellites, and within a minute I should get 10+ satellites.. You might get a little drift with < 7 satellites, but as I mentioned, it's only for a few seconds and it isn't like you are not in control.

It's home lock that is affected by less than 7 satellites, but from what the OP is saying, this sounds like an IMU or compass issue.

Worth calibrating the IMU and ensuring default gains are set.

The only other thing would be if there was an issue with the set up and interference was affecting the control. May be a faulty TX, but I have my doubts. I have run a 2W TX without issue but now use the Immersion 600mW as it seems to be the best balance between weight and TX output. I have never had a fly away or loss of control with my set up, but hopefully your repaired quad will have any issues ironed out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Definitely had good satellite lock, I always make sure I do before I take off.

Can you guys tell me a bit about how to do a IMU calibration?

Cheers!

More info on my crashes.

My crashes sucked because the first one was when I first took off, the quadcopter was hovering about six feet above me and I decided to just go left and right to warm up... So I go left and then when I tried to go right it just kept going... That feeling sunk in that something had messed up. It just is surprising it happened so quickly after taking off... It has to be something with the FPV set-up because before this I never had an issue.

The second crash was during a flight that was going well... I was flying around a field and when I tried to land some kids were nearby so I took off so I wouldn't hurt them and then it lost control and headed towards houses... *sigh*

I just relinked my Phantom's remote control to the quadcopter so I'm hoping to go and do a test flight before attaching the FPV set-up...

The refurbished Phantom I got kind of sucks... It was pretty dirty and had sticker residue on it from the decals (which I never put on). So I had to give it a good wipe down... The Zenmuse I got is a bit loud and feels like it may be glitching out, but I won't know until I record some footage and play back. Lastly when I powered it on, the start on tone that plays almost sounded like it was coming out of two speakers but one speaker had a delay... I'm almost positive this thing is going to explode on me hahah.

Wish me luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl