Phantom 2 hardware upgrading to Vision+ ?

Reaction score
Hello, apologies if this is already answered (did a search and couldn't find anything).

I bought a Phantom 2 (non-Vision) yesterday to see if I liked it, and I do (I love it). My logic was that if it was good I would upgrade it to Vision+ specs later (saving money if I didn't like it).
After a great day of flight, with my first ever drone, I was ready to upgrade, but found my logic was faulty.

It seems that getting from non-vision to vision+ abilities is a rather expensive path.

I know there is the AVL58 tx/rx , is this my best bet for the FPV component ?
What viewport, recording method and camera control method is possible? Would love an iphone/ipad method like the Vision+

I have seen the H3-3D gimbal and like it but are there cheaper options that are worth considering ?

The Hero 3/3+ cameras are not cheap, should I go for say the White Edition or is there a better option for FPV and 'amateur' video/photo work ?

Many Thanks

Timbo

It is a bit more expensive path but you have more options. Choice of gimbal, camera, VTX/VRX, 5.8mhz video, antennas and the potential of a much better camera. You don't get any of these choices easily on a P2V+. The AVL58 is very heavy compared to likes of the IRC600.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Ok thanks, I will take a look at the IRC600. What about gimbal and camera for a beginner wanting entry point but, upgradable ?

Looking at Hobbyking I can see a Fat Shark 250mW 5.8GHz tx and a Skyzone RC600 rx/monitor/DVD, would these work together and are they good items ?
Assuming they will and are, what camera and gimbal would match them and what do I get for gimbal/camera contro ?

Thanks again

Timbo

Sorry I have no experience of the above. Others may...there is no such thing as an upgradeable gimbal. They all take the GoPro. The GoPro model depends on your budget. I can only report on what equipment I have first hand experience of. My gear is in my sig. (Web). Many buy from the likes of hobbyking. I personally prefer to buy from somewhere where I can get quick customer service firsthand even though it might cost a little more. I have needed to use it for replacement motor and ESC so worth it. All quick and slick and hardly any downtime in between...not the same with international sellers.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I have opted to start with the DYS Smart 3 gimbal and the Turnigy HD Actioncam as my first spend on the Phantom.

I have heard the Actioncam is a fairly good budget alternative to the GoPro. The DYS Smart 3 gimbal has some haters due to jittery motors which apparently is down to incorrectly set gain on the software setup (hope this is true).

Anyone got any experience of either of these ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.