Phantom 2 + H3-3D question

Reaction score
Hi, Im new to drones and aerial photography.
Since we do short wedding movies for our clients, some aerial shots will really make it more interesting.

So, we are in the market right now to get one for our DSLR or GoPro Hero 3 Black.

DSLR drones are wayy too expensive, so I might just have to settle with the DJI Phantom model.

Im just confused, which one to get actually :

Phantom 2 + H3-3D Gimbal and use my GoPro 3 Black

or

Phantom Vision Plus with Integrated camera and gimbal

From what I read is,
GoPro footages are with more details and color profile is good, than the Phantom Integrated camera.
I would never want to risk my footages and repent in the end, so Im thinking to settle with the Phantom 2 + H3-3D Gimbal and use my GoPro 3 Black.

What do you think ?
What would you suggest ?

And if I get this, can I use my iPhone and the DJI app to see and frame in the real time ?

Or is this feature only supported for integrated camera ?

In my opinion I think your best option would be the H3-3D w/ GoPro 3+ but it is going to require you to spend some extra money and effort to add the FPV capabilities. (Video transmitter / receiver, monitor, iOSD, etc)

The new Vision+ would be the easier option as it has the FPV 'built in', but I think the GP3+ is a better camera and will give you more control/options in post.

Beyond that, be aware that there is still a lot of grey area in regards to use of UAVs for commercial purposes. If I were you that would be my first priority. Do some research and see if you think it is legal for how you will be using it.

I see.
In that case, its best to simply go ahead and get the Vision+ which has the integrated camera.

Just need to wait for the low light or evening footages examples with Vision+.

Once I see them, I will decide.

So what would you suggest ?
Just the Phantom2 with gimbal and attach GoPro ?

Isn't the extra accessories too much to setup or adds to expenses ?

P2V+ is nice. shorter range. Nice Camera. Good price. OH... and you can click the shutter remotely for pictures or video.

P2 with H3-3D. (I have old gimbal). longer range. Better camera (You chose gopro). More expensive. Can't remotely press shutter. You start camera and then fly.

What do you mean by range ?

Is the new one shorter range means, it wont go that high or that distance ?

And the GoPro 3D Gimbal + Phantom 2 is 950$.

That is with the H3-D2 gimbal. The difference between H3-D3 and H3-D2 is that the D2 is a two axis gimbal which moves on the roll and pitch axis but not the yaw axis. The H3 suppresses the yaw axis motion.

Okay I see.

I have a stupid question to ask,

If the gimbal goes left or right axis , then the white bars of the phantom will come on the videos .

Isn't it ?

How do you get rid of them ?

By not turning very fast and hard. It's designed to suppress the slight left and right yaw wobble, not do full turns.

I see and the 3D moves downwards too till 90 degree, I guess!

Another question,

normally GoPro goes over 160 degree or more wide view.
In that case, the two white bars from Phantom are surely going to be seen.
Isn't it ?

How is that handled ?

Sorry, I haven't have the hands on the phantom yet. Im from India.
Once I have the complete idea, I will buy it. So, getting my doubts cleared.

If the gimbal is sitting low enough, the legs won't appear in the picture when the camera is tilted down
-only perhaps in extreme flying while in Wide mode

1. The gimbal is fixed position, I guess ?
Or can we edit its height ?

2. And is it not recommended to use the full wide angle of GoPro while on phantom ?

So, everyone uses the medium view ?

Seriously... if you are into Weddings then you know the importance of post processing. You have Protune with the GoPro.

Make sure you get extended and wide legs.

Honestly I would go FPV for just under an extra $400. Helps frame your shots.

I do and we use Protune too.
What Im asking is, the footages getting the white legs into the view.

So, just want to know, how do others handle this ?

Extended legs. and SLOWER deliberate movements. Go to higher resolution too and crop to 1080. You can crop out legs.. props etc.

Attachments

• 7c6fb638c63abb032d4c691b1a10007.jpg
    7c6fb638c63abb032d4c691b1a10007.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 422
So extended legs are another accessory to buy ???

How much is that ?
Can we simply not remove the white legs ?

Phantom 2 should have retractable legs. FAIL!

GoPro black doesn't do 60fps for 2.7K or 4K.

We need 60fps at 1080p, but if we always always have to do cropping, then we need at least 2.7K view at 60fps, which the black doesnt do.

So ?

lots do without legs. They are only 30 bucks at acesdeals.biz. You don't have to use them! lots do without them but I find I get more footage to use.

You can do whatever you want. You are just asking what other people do.

Why do you need 60 frames? are you doing sports slow motion?

you want retractable legs? LOL you need another channel for that. Yeah... and it's not a phantom.

Plus... 60 frames is horrible as the light get's low. the stun starts dropping and you'll want to drop frame rate anyhow. Otherwise wait for GoPro 4 when they get 2.7K at 60 frames.

But lots of wedding photographers ok with less than 60 frames. 60 frames good for action photography videography.

1. yes, I would remove the legs and do it then. I thought, they were fixed legs of Phantom 2.

2. I need 60fps for the action part of the weddings. In Indian culture, we have too much dancing events, so need slow mo of them .

3. Normally, we do 24fps at 1080p for everything else.

4. When is the GoPro 4 coming ? I was thinking to get the GoPro Black Plus this weekend. May be, I should wait ?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj