Phantom 2 - H2-3D - Gear me up!

Reaction score
Hi,
I think this topic has been brought up several times but the is always new cool technologies... :shock:

I Have a Phantom 2 with the H2-3D gimbal and a Gopro hero 3+ black.

I want a complete fpv system with a external screen (not fatshark goggles).

Budget 200 - 350 dollars.

I am also interested in some extra range. I have seen some topics on antennas.

Shipped to sweden and easy to install ;-)

Any suggestions?

Thanks! ;)

martinotto said:
Any suggestions?

we're pretty helpful around here, but you gotta put in some minimal effort on your own mate :) besides this is something you're much better off understanding yourself than someone here just giving you a list.
read through the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread, you should be able to spec an entire FPV kit from info in there, even if you wind up searching out alternatives like other antennas... you'll at least understand the basics of what you're putting on your Phantom.

feel free to ask us questions on anything you don't understand, but unless you pay me a consulting fee I'm not going to do 100% of the work for you ;)

Alright! ;)

I will need a monitor and i am thinking about "Black Pearl 7 channel monitor"
Then i need i IOSD Mini
I am thinking of the ImmersionRC 600 mw transmitter. Good idea? Any other transmitter you recommend? Upgrade Antenna?

Anything else? Cables?

Since your budget is on the low end, skip the Immersion and go with the TS353 with the appropriate plug and play cable. Use the money saved on the transmitter and get better antennas.

dptcalvin said:
Since your budget is on the low end, skip the Immersion and go with the TS353 with the appropriate plug and play cable. Use the money saved on the transmitter and get better antennas.

this is a good suggestion for someone on a budget. The ImmersionRC is featured heavily in videos and such because it was the first transmitter to have a "plug and play" cable developed, so people flocked to it. These days, there is also a plug and play cable for the Boscam transmitters making them just as easy. That TS353 is about half the price of the IRC600, but don't make the mistake of thinking that simply pushing higher power means better performance... FPV performance is more about antennas.
I personally have the TS353 with really good antennas (FPVLR's) and I can push well over a mile in low interference environment. in an urban (high interference) environment, my RC control cuts out well before FPV.

The BP 7ch is fine, or he RX-LCD5802 will save you some $ if you don't need that HDMI port on the display.
you definitely want to include the iOSD Mini

for antennas, the best you can get really is the FPVLR pentalobe on the transmitter although a pinwheel works fine. Getting a little omnidirectional receiver antenna (pinwheel, cloverleaf, etc) you'll likely be limited to a few hundred meters of range. if you want to push out to 1km or better you'll need a helix or some other long range directional antenna.

the good news about antennas is they're easily upgradeable. if you don't want to start off with premium antennas get a cheaper set, and if you feel like you need more FPV range just upgrade them later

I think there is some room for some good antennas.

How about this:
rx-lcd5802 - 138 dollar
IOSD mini - 70 dollar
ImmersionRC 600 mw transmitter - 80 dollar

I think there is some room for some great antennas.

Can someone post a link a good FPVLR antenna?

is it a good idea to upgrade the antenna on the controller?

Is there anything else i need?

keep in mind that i only got the H3-2d gimbal

I really appreciate your help btw!

//Martin

martinotto said:
is it a good idea to upgrade the antenna on the controller?

Is there anything else i need?

keep in mind that i only got the H3-2d gimbal

I really appreciate your help btw!

//Martin

upgrading RC antenna: not REALLY, unless you want to fly long distance in a high-interference environment. I was losing RC at about 800m over the city, so I did upgrade that antenna and now I can do 1100-1200m sometimes. Upgrading the RC antenna is a VERY sensitive procedure, it's SUPER easy to damage the little connector inside the RC (I ruined one the first time) which totally destroys the device... I was doing them on the "old" controller which only costs $25, I'm not so willing to attempt it on the $100 new controller. I'd say no to this unless you wind up really needing it, which you won't if you do most of your flying away from cities. there's also ways to rig little foil amplifiers for free

anything else you need - like the stickythread says you're going to want something to mount the display to the RC.. also probably a lanyard since a RC+display gets heavy

-3D or -2D gimbal, the FPV setup is the same. no worries :)

How about this?

IOSD Mini - 69 dollar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-iOSD-mini-F ... 4869d57e73

Boscam RX-LCD5802 - 134 dollar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boscam-RX-LCD58 ... 3a9cb23ec6

Charger - 5 dollar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JST-Male-Plug-C ... 1c490dc3c7

mmersionRC 5.8Ghz Audio/Video Transmitter - FatShark compatible (600mw) - 792 SEK
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ImmersionRC-5-8 ... 27f2b32bb4

Antennas - 110 dollar (Sma Male or RP-SMA male?)
http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97

Vidoe cables - 10 dollar
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/Video-Cable- ... Shark.html

MONITOR MOUNT - 23 dollar
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FPV-LCD-MON ... 2c8ad126e6

_________
442 Dollar - 3814 SEK

Am i good to go? :geek:
Sma Male or RP-SMA male on the antennas?

//M

that all looks pretty good.

The Immersion RC 600mW transmitter has a SMA-Female connector. Can you figure out what type of connector the antenna needs? hint: video transmitters are heterosexual ;)

yep. SMA-Male.

martinotto said:
Any other cool stuff to add/upgrade on your phantom?

I was thinking of a backpack. Have anyone any experience with these?

upgrades, not really you're basically done. With that transmitter and antennas your FPV performance should exceed the operational capacity of your Phantom. The only other mods you can put on a P2 is the Ground Station which I think is pointless, or the Lightbridge (HD FPV) which I also think is pointless because it's so expensive.

I think backpacks are a great way to transport it, especially if you go out into nature at all like are you going to hike up the side of a mountain with a massive wheeled hard case? also to fly on planes with I prefer the backpack it's a lot easier to carry on.

There is no shortage of backpacks claiming to work with a Phantom 2, but in my opinion the best is the Vanguard UpRise II 48. It's a photography backpack (well padded) designed to carry 2 DSLR's and lenses, so there's a bunch of internal little wall pieces you can arrange perfectly to accommodate a Phantom and accessories... many of the backpacks don't factor in things multiple batteries, FPV screen, antennas, etc. My Vanguard takes the Phantom, the RC and display (detached) in the upper part, antennas, and I still have room for 3 extra batteries, chargers for the P2 batteries and FPV screen, extra props, and a little toolkit and a few other things (I carry extra AA batteries for my RC, snack bars, and other non-Phantom stuff).

This is the video that convinced me, although I do arrange it a bit differently. Where he puts the FPV screen is where I put the batteries and chargers, I put the FPV screen up where he also has the RC.

OH and if you're going to be carrying it in a backpack, you definitely want something to secure the gimbal so it doesn't flop around. There are many different choices, especially on Shapeways... basically a nice 3D-printed thing that attaches either to the gimbal or gopro and hooks to a leg so the gimbal can't move around.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20