Phantom 2 gopro issue

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 and today I installed a Gopro 3+ black with a H3-3d, IOSD mini, FPV hub and an immersionRC TX. When I turn the Phantom on I see the gopro video image for a split second and then all I see is the IOSD overlay data. I removed the IOSD and still only see a split second of the Gopro video and then the screen goes black. I tried removing the USB connector and reseating the ribbon cable, removed and reinserted the micro SD card, turned off the gopro and still cant figure out the issue. The split second of video seems to happen right after the first beep when you first turn the Phantom on but then the screen goes black(unless I have the IOSD hooked up, in which case I get a black screen with the overlay data). Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Tim

Is the GoPro front screen staying on? Just checking to see if GoPro has battery/power issue causing it to actually power off automatically.

I bet the vid connections on the ribbon cable are starting to crack (it's happened to several of us) or it's loose at either end. It's good enough to have a connection when you first turn it on, till the gimbal does the calibration twitches and knocks it out.

Make sure both go pro and monitor are on PAL or NTSC depending on where you live. Is it losing signal when gimbal is doing gryations on start up. That might indicate bad USB ribbon. They are quite fragile.

Also make sure Rc is on during boot up of P2. I noticed FS is indicate on iosd. But it should have nothing to do with go pro video not feeding.

FS was on because I had switch one turned to failsafe. I just replaced the ribbon cable and I still have the exact same issue. The video shows up and then goes away before the gimbal starts its gyrations.

Have a friend with a go pro just to eliminate that from the list of variables?

You are going to have to do some basic troubleshooting. Everything else is just a guess.

Get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-Degree-USB-t ... 27e5976965

Plug this into the GoPro and put the video wires straight to the video transmitter. If that works you know the camera and transmitter are good. If it doesn't then you can try the video out of the camera into a video input on a TV or whatever you have. Assuming that the camera and transmitter are good then the next step is to use the same cable and hook it to the input of the IOSD. You basically just have to go back in the chain one step at a time to find what is wrong. Anything else here would just be a guess.

Anyway, that's how I would troubleshoot it.

hrosee said:
Anyway, that's how I would troubleshoot it.

+1

However, I think you can safely say everything from the iOSD and beyond (vtx etc) are good, since the overlay persists even when the image does not. Same thing I saw on my monitor when the video feed was cut at the gimbal.

an easier method if you dont want to wait for a delivery would be to run to best buy or whatever store is near you and buy a new gopro to test.

If it works, then there is your problem.
If not, easily return the new gopro :)

I spoke to DJI today and they feel it is most likely a defective gimbal. B&H is sending me a new one so I should know for sure in the next day or two. I will post a follow up. Thank you everyone for your help.

dragonash said:
CUTTHEMUSIC said:
I spoke to DJI today ...

wha wha whaaat!?

This is a thing?

I call Shenanigans!!!

*gets out pitchfork and torch*

Haha, I called them up and spoke to someone after waiting on hold for 15 minutes. I was surprised too after reading how awful their support was. The guy I spoke to was super nice and quickly came to the conclusion that it is most likely a gimbal issue. I'm hoping his diagnosis is correct.

Another good sign DJI is finally decided to be a competitive business instead of a soon to be bankrupt business.

CUTTHEMUSIC said:
FS was on because I had switch one turned to failsafe. I just replaced the ribbon cable and I still have the exact same issue. The video shows up and then goes away before the gimbal starts its gyrations.

When did you buy everything, because if you find out what's causing it then just return it provided they are a good retailer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.