Phantom 2 go pro or vision+?

Reaction score
Hi

I've been flying small drones for a while now and would like to upgrade to be able to take some better video/pictures.. purely as a fun hobby.

Im am stuck between choosing the phantom 2 and attaching the go pro accessories, live streaming etc. Or the ready to go vision+...

I think the main reason I'm stuck between the 2 is because the go pro is obviously better quality and upgradable but the vision+ is just easy being able to use it instantly and on the phone app!

What would any other users recommend I do?

Cheers

I would go with v+. the difference between go pro and v+ is so little that won't justify your DIYing the whole set. With go pro setup, you can't turn on and off camera midair, take pictures midair. You have to buy and connect together following items:
1. gopro camrea
2. gimbal
3. transmitter and receiver and monitor and affix them to phantom and controller (big chore with accessories)
4. miniOSD module and wiring it by opening up your brand-new phantom 2 in order to get telemetry
5. Fine tune and balance all the loads and keep them under maximum weight which is 1350 grams. V+ is 70 grams or more lighter from its maximum
6. Making all the items all work together as expected alone might be a big challenge

Agree with Yali. I have one of each and for use as you describe, vision + would be my choice.

And what about the fragility of the V+ camera-gimbel? I have read that a hard landing can cost you 700 for replace the camera system. Not sure if it so fragile.

Nonsense! V+ camera is not even close to Gopro, especially 3+ besides mounting AVL58 is supereasy, and if you ad the ground station you get a so much better platform worth the extra money. Bottom line, as you asked, Gopro delivers much better quality than a chinese knockoff [emoji6]

I have no experience of the Visions or FC40 but I would factor future proofing into your decision. The Visions and FC40 use 5.8GHz for control and Wifi for streaming the video back which is arse about face to convention. If you go the P2 route you have the option of choosing what video system and how you want to view it, screen or goggles. Also you have a choice of cameras to feed your video. On my Phantom V1 I fly with a Gopro and a 700TVL camera which can be switched. I've also swapped out the standard DJI receiver for the much more versatile Taranis and X8R receiver with telemetry. By doing this I can then use the transmitter on any model and easily swap the video system between my Phantom, F550 Hex, Walkera, and various fixed wing models. If you don't foresee yourself deviating from your final choice then the Vision is a reasonable out of the box solution.

Regards

Nidge

i had the same problem...

p2 or p2 v+

i read so many threads about guys crashing ther p2 v+ in the first flight and smashing the gimble (buying a new gimbal costs almost the same as a brand new p2) that i decided to go for the p2, i bought it in ebay and all pieces separate (p2 + h3-d3, gopro hero+ black, avl58, black pearl, ios mini and flytrex) and im planing to fly without accesories until i feel comfortable to install the gimball+go pro. also im working on a mount to carry my camera (im intereseted in doing aerial photography) so ill be ableto swith between the gimbal (video) and the mount (photography) and i could use the gopro for many other things :)

I would say it boils down to whether you enjoy tinkering or not. Putting together a working P2 w/ FPV & telemetry looks easy in hindsight after you've done it, but it did take me a fair amount of time (including research) to select components and put them together. The P2 with Go Pro or pocket still camera such as the Ricoh GR is capable of higher image quality, but as a hobbyist this might not be your priority.

Here is a side by side comparison of the camera of the P2V+ and a Gopro

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl384Xl0MuE[/youtube]

I have a P2V+ and must say I'm pretty happy, I'll love a much bigger platform capable of carrying a DSLR, but for the price and connivence I'd say the P2V+ is a good choice !

P2V+ is plug and play. P2 with GoPro H3+B is far better camera system but requires hands on work to get an FPV system up and running. So it depends which is more important to you.

BTW, the above video comparison is very misleading. H3+B can shoot higher resolutions, higher frame rates, has greater latitude and raw bit rates. The H3+B with an ND filter shooting in 2.7K Protune medium FOV, medium sharpness, graded properly and rendered out to 1080p blows the V+ camera out of the water all day long.

I agree with Ian on the last part, but not the first.
It took me 30 min to rearrange and mount a AVL58 kit on my P2, the rest is 100% straight out of the box, no tuning at all.
Heres a raw clip from yesterday, no deshake or or jelly correction, i even put on a ND filter without counter bal, still no sound from the brushless :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV9ZKgY ... e=youtu.be

My P2V takes splendid still images, and with Photoshop, I can increase the dpi of the images if I wish. I suspect I would prefer the GoPro and gimbel if I wanted high quality videos. Perhaps you can buy one of each, compare them, and report back to all of us.

Until there is an improvement in the camera/gimbal of the P2V+, I would go with the Phantom 2.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20514

Any hard landing or a small crash and the X axis goes out. Its a mechanical design defect (IMHO) The shaft connecting the camera and tilt mech, is pressed fit to the brushless motor. All the weight of it is carried on this thin shaft. One hard hit and it breaks free.
DJI needs to change it's design.
In my case I had to lay out another $679.00 for a new gimbal/camera. The old one was not repairable.

Hand catching..OK... no problem. When I say a" hard landing" there are accidents. even the most experienced pilots have an "oopps" now and then. In my case had a VRS at 20 ft on a RTH, bird landed upside down, no damage, but the camera was tilted.
That shaft I mentioned in my previous post had broken free. The P2V+ plus flew fine, but the gimbal.camera was shot.
If your going to buy a P2V+ I would wait on a design change.
The Phantom is a hardy bird, the camera/gimbal is it's weak spot.. Check out the P)2V+ board, and you will see all the problems the other pilots are having with this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20