Phantom 2 FPV with Android phone/tablet

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I haven't both anything yet and I'm trying to figure out what the cheapest way to get a phantom FPV set up.

I already have a go-pro hero2 (not 3) and both android tablets and phones.

I'm thinking of buying the phantom 2 (mainly for the long flight time).

What else should I buy to get a good FPV set up? Can I use an android screen as monitor for FPV?

Thanks

itnem1980 said:
Can I use an android screen as monitor for FPV?

the answer to this particular question is: only if you get a Vision (or Vision+) model Phantom with the built in camera. P2Vision models use a wifi signal (2.4Ghz frequencies) to transmit live video back to a phone or tablet because they use 5.8Ghz frequencies for the remote control. So you connect your device's wifi to the Phantom and use that to get live video.

NON-Vision models (on which you would use your GoPro) use 2.4Ghz frequencies for the RC, so if you want live FPV you need to put in a 5.8ghz video transmitter to transmit video back to a receiver. Phones/tablets don't simply receive on those frequencies so you need a dedicated receiver with a 5.8Ghz antenna built in, which will accept the video signal natively. those receivers run around $150-200 USD typically

basically the Vision models are easier, slightly cheaper and have less overall performance (camera quality and FPV range)

non-Vision model FPV when built properly is more expensive, requires slightly more knowledge and effort to install/configure, but has better quality (potentially, not sure how good a gopro2 is) and better FPV range

Thank you QYV!

I understand the deal with the frequencies but why can't I buy a 5.8ghz receiver and plug it on my phone instead of having to buy a dedicated monitor for this?

Can't my phone be used as a monitor?
Everyone has a smartphone and it would seem logical to me to have a receiver that plugs into it and allow you to use your phone as screen for FPV

Thanks

itnem1980 said:
Can't my phone be used as a monitor?
Everyone has a smartphone and it would seem logical to me to have a receiver that plugs into it and allow you to use your phone as screen for FPV

Thanks

Most smartphones aren't equipped to accept a standard video input.

to expand on what OI said... your phone just doesn't work like that... yes it has a screen but it only shows what the internal graphics card of the phone tells it to.. there's no "video input" into your phone is there? like if you wanted to use your phone as the display for a blu-ray player or just yank over-the-air television via an antenna... you can't do that. installing a FPV is basically just creating your own little local TV station and you have to have some way to receive that signal and show it on a screen.

again you CAN if you connect the phone to a P2Vision (or GoPro's wifi but you absolutely shouldn't do that while on a Phantom for my aforementioned reasons) ... via an APP you can see a "preview" of what the camera is seeing... but that's via an APP not just natively grabbing a video frequency and showing it or even via any "video in" plug

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4