Phantom 2 FPV or Phantom 3 standard?

Reaction score
So my main question is

what would be better for range and price

say a phantom 2 (NOT vision or +) with a gimbal and a lets say 600mw 5.8 fpv transmitter with a monitor at ground maybe even iosd

or

Just a bog standard Phantom 3 standard

The long story...

Back in feb 2016 i purchased a damaged phantom 3 standard, (broken gimbal - harsh landing) repaired the gimbal, replaced cables and tested

unfortunately with this drone and despite the many forums and posts i created, i simply could not get this particular drone to go past 110m even with better Ariels etc.. i ended up selling it for £280 (cheap i know) but i needed the money at the time, however loved the experience in owning the drone as was very happy with the way i could set waypoints and view the image straight from the phone etc.

somewhere in the middle of this to further my drone knowledge i also purchased a dji f450 running naza lite upgraded to v2. Although the life of lipo batteries, inverted powered chargers and good old fashion wire to this wire to that mentality was great, the batteries was simply not lasting long enough (13-15 minutes) and endless amount of accessories just turned me off drones for a while. I do like to tinker with things but i do also like them to work when there supposed to and one minute the drone would fly brilliantly other times it would be hurtling its way towards me out of my control.

Once again i sold the above drone with everything drone related i own. to this day ive regretted selling my phantom 3 standard as it was all in one, easy to use, innovative and a great all rounder however i knew even if it was working to manufacturing standards i would always be interested in extending the range.

This brings me to where i am now

Luckily enough (in my opinion) i have managed to pick up a phantom 2 for £80, (broken leg), no gimbal, but still flies like it was new and gets a good 15 minutes air time (naff battery)

My question is

do i buy a gimbal (£30 ebay special) £15 fpv sender, £100 fpv monitor (may be able to get this cheaper), iosd mini £50 and still have no functionality of waypoints (this can be added for around anouther £100) total without camera including drone and no waypoint functionality :£275

I would also like to know range wise if this is a better idea

OR

Buy another standard at 330-350ish and have all the functionality of waypoint, and iphone compatibility

Apologies for a long read however would like to get others opinions and advise regarding the range side of it

Thanks

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj