Phantom 2 FPV Demo Video

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I made this short video for something else but it may help folk who are just setting up their Phantoms for FPV. The Black Pearl diversity video out was recorded using an ultra cheap "Angel Eyes" mini-dvr. It records in 800x600 so the image is squashed to 4:3 but I transformed and cropped it in Final Cut Pro X, the results are pretty good I think!

http://youtu.be/tJJVhkgSAgg

A short video demonstrating the DJI Phantom 2 with a video downlink and on-screen display. The Phantom is fitted with a GoPro Hero 3 Black mounted on a Zenmuse H3-3D 3-axis gimbal for great stabilisation. The live video from the GoPro is overlaid with flight information from the iOSD and transmitted to a receiver on the ground via a Boscam TS351 200mW 5.8GHz video transmitter (VTx) fitted with a four lobe right hand circular polarised skew planar antenna.

On the ground the signal is received by a FlySight Black Pearl 7" Diversity FPV monitor. This excellent screen has dual 5.8GHz video receivers (VRx) built in and will automatically switch to the VRx with the strongest signal. Fitting a low gain unidirectional antenna such as a skew planar to one VRx and a high gain directional antenna such as a helical to the other provides excellent signal quality in most circumstances. Directional antennas such as helicals need to be pointing roughly towards the VTx - more turns gives higher gain but at the expense of a narrower reception beam. For applications such as the Phantom a five turn helical is a good compromise with a 50º beam.

The iOSD mini mounted on the Phantom overlays essential flight information to the video signal that is then displayed on the ground monitor. Information includes flight data such as speed, vertical speed and height, navigation data, artificial horizon, battery and satellite status. It also indicates which mode the Phantom is flying in (GPS, Atti, FS, Manual).

Video range of this system is in excess of 1Km without interference. It's very easy to fit and only requires soldering of four wires to connect the iOSD and the VTx to the Phantom (DJI produce a "FPV Hub" that connects everything without soldering, but requires a specific VTx to work).

Postby RoryG
Nice video demonstrating FPV and its incorporation into your final video product! Nice job! +1

Hi Rory, excellent video but how do you de-clutter the Black Pearl FPV of information other than the telemetry for the Phantom? There is far too much info on my FPV screen.

Steve

Great job!

I've connected my FPV system together, but the weather hasn't cooperated!

Now I know what to look for

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers