Phantom 2 for archaeology- my results

Reaction score
Hi All,
This forum really helped me with buying, tricking out and modding my quad. I am an archaeologist and I use it for aerial photography. In Aus it's illegal to do it comercially but I am part of a few projects in Greece where I can use it. I just got back to Aus from a successful trip. A number of you over the months had mentioned you'd like to see examples- so I thought why not. Just note the images are scaled down thus reducing quality. (Clicking on the images here makes them seem to focus more but who knows- random :shock: )

So my gear,
Standard P2 with a custom mount that lets me fly up a Canon cameras running a CHDK intervalometre. I used the Helipal Deluxe Storm FPV kit, which is basically Boscham transmitters and an Airy 7inch monitor. My total weight hovers in the mid 1300 grams, although the new 3D printed mount I bought should bring that down- I am going to review it in a week once the wind drops here in Sydney. I am also about to add a IOSD mini so I can maintain altitude over buildings, trenches etc in different days. Just means I can easily overlay images to see differences etc. Never thought I needed it, but at only 14 grams, I thought why the hell not.
Anyways here is one or two pictures, but you can see more at http://www.heliosphotography.net/gallery.html
NB: If you look at the top pics of me in action, you'll notice the mount held together with a lot of electrical tape. It had taken a battering after several different sites so I just used it to make sure my 400$ camera didn't crash to the ground. :D :D

4662131.jpg

8982992.jpg

hughsnews

wow, im curious about your settings.

- what camera are you using?
- and how about the settings, is it set to auto focus? or you just take like a zillion photos hoping to capture a few good shots?
- what is the lapse between each photo.

finally, have you seen the mod that dronexperts.nl is selling for photography?

chapsrlz said:
hughsnews

wow, im curious about your settings.

- what camera are you using?
- and how about the settings, is it set to auto focus? or you just take like a zillion photos hoping to capture a few good shots?
- what is the lapse between each photo.

finally, have you seen the mod that dronexperts.nl is selling for photography?

No worries- I use one of two cameras a Canon S110 or an IXUS 132
Autofocus. I generally let it hover over the feature for around 20-30 second which gets me around 5-10 shots. Depending on the day I might get between 1 out of every 4 or less in focus. Just depends on a variety of factors.
What do you mean lapse?
I haven't seen the mod- can you link me?

Wow, OP delivers! Great job, it's fantastic to see such innovative, productive uses for these quads.

I hope there is something you can submit this to, it's really too interesting to be confined to this forum.

OI Photography said:
Very cool! I think I remember you asking about this when you first started looking in to it, I was curious to see how it turned out.

Mate you were so helpful to me at the beginning. Honestly, couldn't have done this without the guidance and knowledge found on these boards.

I sent you a PM a week or so ago, did you get it? A flat field lens for the GoPro might be an option. You can also then use NIR lenses too. Ragecams.com do a huge range of lenses including full spectrum IR lenses.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31