Phantom 2 Flyaway

crash1sttime said:
alanw2005 said:
Just as I landed, it went into low battery/autoland mode and took off

Had a quick look on the video, and here's my take.

1st did you have low battery land set, or did you have low battery return to home set up?

As you landed it, the low battery return to home kicked in, this will cause it to rise up and go to what it thinks is your home point, now if your using the Dynamic Home Point (you can turn it on and off in the app) then it would fly to where it thinks the phone is, remember DHP updates the phantoms home point every 2 seconds

now if you were lets say in between 5 cell towers and your phone was using 3 to triangulate your position but then you moved and it jumped to another cell tower your position according to your phones GPS could be well out, which would cause the quad to fly to a home point that was a distance from where you actually were.

In theory DHP is a good idea, providing you check the accuracy of it and not rely on it.

Just my take, and one of the reasons i turned off DHP and low battery return to home

Hi there. Thanks for this. I don't use a phone. I have an FPV screen. I fly in Naza mode. The software was set the land when the battery is low. I have deactivated this now.

landwomble said:
Also, why on earth aren't you testing this yourself? First thing I did was check how it behaved so I'd be prepared if I needed to do it for real. See also home lock, course lock and all other features

I use CL and HL all the time. I have not tested low battery flying because I like to land before the battery hitting the critical level. I have deactivated auto land on low battery.

Should I go to an open field and test low battery auto land? Do you use it?

Sorry i misread the forum group and thought you were on a Vision or Vision plus, my bad

I thought (maybe wrongly) that auto land on low battery was hard wired and couldnt be turned off, i thought it was just auto return to home that was an option.

Heres a picture of my Assistant

6.jpg

reading the side notes, it seems that on first warning with RTH on low battery activated this is what it will do, however if its not selected then it waits until critical battery to auto land.

crash1sttime said:
Sorry i misread the forum group and thought you were on a Vision or Vision plus, my bad

I thought (maybe wrongly) that auto land on low battery was hard wired and couldnt be turned off, i thought it was just auto return to home that was an option.

6.jpg

reading the side notes, it seems that on first warning with RTH on low battery activated this is what it will do, however if its not selected then it waits until critical battery to auto land.

Does "descend automatically" mean the craft goes straight down at the time the critical level is reached or does it go home?

So the craft will always have a controlled descent at critical battery even if "go home" is not selected as opposed to just falling out of the sky if flown to complete battery exhaustion?

crash1sttime said:

6.jpg

At what percentage of charge do you typically land your craft?

alanw2005 said:
Does "descend automatically" mean the craft goes straight down at the time the critical level is reached or does it go home?

So the craft will always have a controlled descent at critical battery even if "go home" is not selected as opposed to just falling out of the sky if flown to complete battery exhaustion?

Yes - You cannot turn off the auto land low battery protection.

JTBernier said:
alanw2005 said:

And toggling the SW1 would have returned control to you.

JTBernier said:
alanw2005 said:

Okay. That is excellent to know.

Now, to regain control if I the home point is incorrectly recorded by bad GPSdata or a weak signal, and auto land has started, do I push up on the throttle stick, or do I move S1 to Atti from GPS or do I toggle S1 from GPS to Atti and back to GPS or do I just land the craft at 35% battery left?

JTBernier said:
JTBernier said:
alanw2005 said:

S1 toggle from GPS to Atti and back to GPS? Do you use this feature often?

alanw2005 said:
Would flipping S1 have given me back control?
To get back to the original question ... sometimes the manual is the place to find information.
i-fVMzh3S-L.jpg

It's not all written in half *** broken English and will almost certainly be a lot more accurate than and less confusing than trying to find correct info from half a dozen forum posts.

Meta4 said:
alanw2005 said:
Would flipping S1 have given me back control?
To get back to the original question ... sometimes the manual is the place to find information.
i-fVMzh3S-L.jpg

It's not all written in half *** broken English and will almost certainly be a lot more accurate than half a dozen forum posts.

Meta. Thank you. To be perfectly clear, if S1 is in position 1 (i.e. GPS), do I toggle to Atti and leave it there or do I move S1 from position 1 to position 2 and then back to position 1? I am thinking the latter?

alanw2005 said:
JTBernier said:

S1 toggle from GPS to Atti and back to GPS? Do you use this feature often?[/quote]

I use it all the time. I also have Go Home checked to give me more flight time. Watching your video, I would have hated to go into the auto land low battey protection mode over the water, Go Home would have given me more time to take control (SW1 toggle) and fly it back to me.

JTBernier said:
alanw2005 said:
JTBernier said:

S1 toggle from GPS to Atti and back to GPS? Do you use this feature often?

I use it all the time. I also have Go Home checked to give me more flight time. Watching your video, I would have hated to go into the auto land low battey protection mode over the water, Go Home would have given me more time to take control (SW1 toggle) and fly it back to me.[/quote]

Thanks very much., Have selected the go home feature for more margin.

hang on a minute, i may be wrong, but that is for failsafe, ie return to home, were talking about auto land on low battery, im not sure you can over ride it.?

I may be wrong but it would be pointless having a feature to lower the height of the craft at low power if it can be over ridden.

alanw2005 said:
Go Home would have given me more time to take control (SW1 toggle) and fly it back to me.
I believe that there does seem to be confusion here. Using S1 and switching to ATTI mode allows you to take control or fight an auto land situation.

The scenario in the original post had the Phantom performing a return to home.
crash1sttime said:
I may be wrong but it would be pointless having a feature to lower the height of the craft at low power if it can be over ridden.
So in a situation where your Phantom is descending toward a river would you rather let it continue or have a shot at taking over control and piloting it toward the bank? Coming down into trees - or diverting it to land beside the trees?
Controlling a landing is usually going to be a better outcome than an unplanned auto-land.

Meta4 said:
crash1sttime said:
So in a situation where your Phantom is descending toward a river would you rather let it continue or have a shot at taking over control and piloting it toward the bank? Coming down into trees - or diverting it to land beside the trees?
Controlling a landing is usually going to be a better outcome than an unplanned auto-land.

Im not argueing that it would be better to take control, im saying CAN you take control or does autoland ignore any kind of attempt of overriding control

crash1sttime said:
Meta4 said:
crash1sttime said:

Im not argueing that it would be better to take control, im saying CAN you take control or does autoland ignore any kind of attempt of overriding control

On the phantom 2 you can force it to maintain altitude by pushing to full throttle

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 333
So yes you can override it

Buckaye said:
On the phantom 2 you can force it to maintain altitude by pushing to full throttle
+1
During my tests in ATTI mode, I was able to increase altitude at a slow rate on my Phantom 2 non-vision with a full throttle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20