Phantom 2 Flyaway

Reaction score
I was flying my Phantom 2 in GPS mode. The battery went down to 25% so I landed the drone. Just as I landed, it went into low battery/autoland mode and took off. I had no control. I figured no problem, it will just land at the home point. But the Phantom proceeded to flyaway. I had no control. I watched in horror. It headed straight for a building and then stopped short and started descending. I chased it and got it as it started to land over some bushes.

Would flipping S1 have given me back control? Should I turn off the low battery/autloand feature?

Here is the video:

http://youtu.be/6PBKZ9QhVwg

alanw2005 said:
I was flying my Phantom 2 in GPS mode. The battery went down to 25% so I landed the drone. Just as I landed, it went into low battery/autoland mode and took off. I had no control. I figured no problem, it will just land at the home point. But the Phantom proceeded to flyaway. I had no control. I watched in horror. It headed straight for a building and then stopped short and started descending. I chased it and got it as it started to land over some bushes.

Would flipping S1 have given me back control? Should I turn off the low battery/autloand feature?

Here is the video:

people look unhappy flying your drone near their windows....

anyways

do you know how to shut off motors? when you caught the phantom you didn't stop the motors.. why?

I'll bet you learnt an important lesson. Now go into the assistant software an shut off the go home feature.

capodrone81 said:
alanw2005 said:

Here is the video:

people look unhappy flying your drone near their windows....

anyways

do you know how to shut off motors? when you caught the phantom you didn't stop the motors.. why?

I secured the drone with my hand to make sure it did not take off again and then cut power by holding the throttle stick down. The battery was at 18% so the motors did not turn off by themselves.

jason said:
I'll bet you learnt an important lesson. Now go into the assistant software an shut off the go home feature.

Done! And thanks! You have yours off I take it?

alanw2005 said:
jason said:

Yes I left that box blank for the simple reason it could have been under something and either crash or caused damage to someone or thing. Thank goodness DJI made that an option.

Something you might think about is the height you have your failsafe set for as trees around here are much higher than 20m (60'). Also do you have FPV on your unit?

alanw2005 said:

I do believe that switching to ATTI mode would allow you to take back control. I witnessed a fly-a-way and swithing S1 to ATTI allowed for regained control

Unfortunately, it looks like you did not post the entire video to help determine what happened. I believe your Home Location was incorrectly recorded because of one of the two reasons:
1 - You are Launching in an urban area and GPS signals are bouncing off nearby buildings causing location errors. Your location was incorrectly recorded.
2 - You took off before your home location was recorded and was flying over the nearby building in question when finally you home location was recorded.

The entire video may help determine if it is one of the above situations.

Assuming you took off somewhere not far from where this video takes place, this is functionality as intended. Your Phantom may not RTH to exactly the same spot where you took off. A low horizon satellite can drop below the horizon and caused a slight drift in relative positioning.

The time between setting it on the ground and take off was very short. I think you did not wait for the second set of green lights.. So your homepoint was not recorded yet..

jason said:
alanw2005 said:
jason said:

Yes I left that box blank for the simple reason it could have been under something and either crash or caused damage to someone or thing. Thank goodness DJI made that an option.

Something you might think about is the height you have your failsafe set for as trees around here are much higher than 20m (60'). Also do you have FPV on your unit?

Yes, I have FPV.

If you watch some you tube vides you will see people saying if you toggle the s1 switch you can gain control. The manual I have v1.4 says move the s1 to atti to gain control. It's not clear if you keep it in atti or can switch it back to gps. It also says that if you throttle up during a low battery warning you can gain control. I haven't tested this yet but would be good to hear from someone that has.

I don't understand the confusion. Did you trigger RTH with S1 (which will turn off as soon as you flick the switch up) or did it just start low battery autoland, which does not RTH but simply comes down, and can be overridden by applying full throttle?

So what it boils down to this wasn't a FLY AWAY but more like poor judgment in firmware setup and also pilot error.

Also, why on earth aren't you testing this yourself? First thing I did was check how it behaved so I'd be prepared if I needed to do it for real. See also home lock, course lock and all other features

landwomble said:
Also, why on earth aren't you testing this yourself? First thing I did was check how it behaved so I'd be prepared if I needed to do it for real. See also home lock, course lock and all other features

If you are referring to my last post have you bothered to read the entire thread? When the low battery warning go home was introduced in the V3.06 update I knew what it meant and also knew it was going cause problems for some. But thank goodness DJI did make it an option. I'm not going in sit here and tell you that I've never crashed because I have. I will tell you that I have used the naza-m and all of its features but prefer to fly in the phantom mode for type of work I do.

alanw2005 said:
Just as I landed, it went into low battery/autoland mode and took off

Had a quick look on the video, and here's my take.

1st did you have low battery land set, or did you have low battery return to home set up?

As you landed it, the low battery return to home kicked in, this will cause it to rise up and go to what it thinks is your home point, now if your using the Dynamic Home Point (you can turn it on and off in the app) then it would fly to where it thinks the phone is, remember DHP updates the phantoms home point every 2 seconds

now if you were lets say in between 5 cell towers and your phone was using 3 to triangulate your position but then you moved and it jumped to another cell tower your position according to your phones GPS could be well out, which would cause the quad to fly to a home point that was a distance from where you actually were.

In theory DHP is a good idea, providing you check the accuracy of it and not rely on it.

Just my take, and one of the reasons i turned off DHP and low battery return to home

jason said:
So what it boils down to this wasn't a FLY AWAY but more like poor judgment in firmware setup and also pilot error.

I beg to differ. The craft was on the ground and I had commenced motor shut down procedures and it took off. It would be a simple software fix to avoid this. If the battery is at critical level, and if the motors are idling and the craft is at zero AGL then it is not allow to take off.

The instructions are written in half *** broken English and the information on he Internet is conflicting. To add insult to injury when you ask a question, arrogant idiots who apparently have the information or pretend to have it just want to throw insults.

You shouldn't have to test a crash situation. You should be able to read about it.

I have FPV so always watch the battery level and in fact landed before the critical battery warning level.

Arrogant posters make forums useless. Go kick your cat if you need to feel better.You contrubute absolutely nothing to the discussion so please stop wasting bandwidth and stop creating useless noise with silly platitudes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues