Phantom 2 Fly away after Startup

Reaction score
Hi,

This is the second time i encountered this problem.

The first time it was outdoors, Now it just happened indoors..
When I start the Phantom 2 immediatly it tries to get up! It flew away hard to the right and hit a chair ( luckily it was inside )
I noticed 1 blink orange followed by 2 blinks red ( in ATTI mode ).

( It was briefly on manual mode, doesn't know if that can cause an issue? )

Does anyone know what might be going wrong? Can i provide more information?
Thank you!

adelaar said:
Hi,

This is the second time i encountered this problem.

The first time it was outdoors, Now it just happened indoors..
When I start the Phantom 2 immediatly it tries to get up! It flew away hard to the right and hit a chair ( luckily it was inside )
I noticed 1 blink orange followed by 2 blinks red ( in ATTI mode ).

( It was briefly on manual mode, doesn't know if that can cause an issue? )

Does anyone know what might be going wrong? Can i provide more information?
Thank you!

Are you saying that it tries to fly right after the battery powers up? Or does it do it when you start the engines?

You might want to try recalibrating the sticks on the controller?

Why would you try to fly indoors? It almost for sure is not getting any GPS sat readings!. As for outside, there are many, many reasons for flyaways that you can find on this site. Follow all the steps for upgrading SW and FW and then all the steps for calibrations

Prylar Bek said:
Why would you try to fly indoors? It almost for sure is not getting any GPS sat readings!. As for outside, there are many, many reasons for flyaways that you can find on this site. Follow all the steps for upgrading SW and FW and then all the steps for calibrations

If he's atti he doesn't need gps. I wouldn't suggest flying indoors unless you have a lot of space... But I get the sense the op is having this issue on startup even before controller input to fire motors.

True. I just assumed a new pilot would be in GPS mode/or in Phantom mode for the first few flights

thank you for the replies! I was in ATTI indeed so no GPS needed.
Everything is updated to the latest firmware.

The "indoor flyaway" happened as soon as I powered on the motors..

Thank you!

adelaar said:
thank you for the replies! I was in ATTI indeed so no GPS needed.
Everything is updated to the latest firmware.

The "indoor flyaway" happened as soon as I powered on the motors..

Thank you!

Yeah... Then I would check the calibration of your controller sticks... It could be they are reading more throttle than they should be when the sticks are at center,

Oh my god, it just crashed.. It's over.

I was flying outside, everything went well, after 10 minutes suddenly it took it's own direction.. couldn't control it anymore..
it crashed into a building, luckily nobody got hurt..

So it there a thread about this? the classic flyaway and the reasons to it? Thank you

adelaar said:

I was flying outside, everything went well, after 10 minutes suddenly it took it's own direction.. couldn't control it anymore..

So it there a thread about this? the classic flyaway and the reasons to it? Thank you

Had you crashed before it started exhibiting these symptoms? What is your history with the bird?

adelaar said:

Doesn't sound like a flyaway to me, but I'm not sure I even believe in the flyaway anymore.

Clearly something is wrong with the Phantom, any chance of a repair shop in your area? I only ask because you don't seem comfortable.

Well we had the same issue 2 months ago ( only flew shortly after that )

The last time we started the motors, liftoff and after 20seconds it suddenly flew off, I had no control at all.
No height or direction control, i tried switching to ATTI mode but it all went to fast

adelaar said:
Well we had the same issue 2 months ago ( only flew shortly after that )

The last time we started the motors, liftoff and after 20seconds it suddenly flew off, I had no control at all.
No height or direction control, i tried switching to ATTI mode but it all went to fast

Does it ever do it while you're exclusively in atti mode? Wonder if you have a damaged gps module

I had this sudden flyaway just once in 10 months of flying when I took off from a manhole cover.

Added in edit: It rose from the manhole cover and just headed off fast by itself toward a tree about 30 m away, but just before it was about to crash into the tree, it stopped, I recovered control, and it flew just fine for the rest of the flight and ever after. I attribute the "flyaway" to the metal in the manhole cover interfering with the compass. Lesson learned: I don't take off from manhole covers anymore, and none of you should either.

Great Pumpkin said:
I had this sudden flyaway just once in 10 months of flying: when I took off from a manhole cover.
What happened? also a crash? uncontrollable.. Our drone isn't repairable but I don't want to buy a new one unless I know this can be prevented.

adelaar said:

Did you wait for the rapid green indicating "Home Lock"?

adelaar said:
Great Pumpkin said:
I had this sudden flyaway just once in 10 months of flying: when I took off from a manhole cover.
What happened? also a crash? uncontrollable.. Our drone isn't repairable but I don't want to buy a new one unless I know this can be prevented.

Sorry about your loss... Are you sure it's not repairable? There are only two super expensive parts of the quad, replacing almost everything would cost you less than a new one.

I think what you experienced is pretty rare... The other guy mentioned he took off from a manhole cover... Which is one of the things you shouldn't do because of the interference with the compass.

It definitely sounds like something was seriously wrong.. The reason I asked about a crash is because the behavior sounded like a cracked gps plate or something screwed up in the compass.

I'll describe the full problem..

I lifted off, flew away for 5minutes, returned home and land and turn engine off.
The second time I lift off again but then after 20 seconds he's gone.

I wonder why it didn't go bad the first time?
I did the compass calibration and advanced cali. ( is that the same as doing the turn around thing to calibrate the compass? )

Thank you for your time!

Buckaye said:
adelaar said:
Great Pumpkin said:

Sorry about your loss... Are you sure it's not repairable? There are only two super expensive parts of the quad, replacing almost everything would cost you less than a new one.

I think what you experienced is pretty rare... The other guy mentioned he took off from a manhole cover... Which is one of the things you shouldn't do because of the interference with the compass.

It definitely sounds like something was seriously wrong.. The reason I asked about a crash is because the behavior sounded like a cracked gps plate or something screwed up in the compass.

Thank you! The gimbal is completely broken, The rotors are broken, the main body of the phantom seems ok! Don't know about the internals..

So I would take it apart and see if the gps plate is cracked and check all the wires to see if the solders are good and connections are tight.

Rotors are cheap :). The gimbal is the expensive thing... Once you get it make together run an advanced IMU calibration and then recalibrate the compass before your next flight.

However before replacing the gimbal. Take it off and once you fix the bird fly for a while without it (this will help avoid another expensive loss while testing the quad for predictable flight).

Good luck :)

Prylar Bek said:

Every GPS device, that I've had works well indoors. Now, if you have a metal roof, it might be a different story!

But, I've never flown my P2 indoors as there isn't enough room to navigate. I'm trying to fly indoors with what is claimed to be the world's smallest quad. (Except for our governments fly size drones and since they let that information out, I'm sure they have even smaller ones.). The one I have is about ready for the trash can if I can't get control of it. But, I've only tried 3 times, so far.

Plus, it would be MUCH less of a financial Impact to lose the tiny one!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers