Phantom 2 does not hover in position

Reaction score
Hi there,

Having some issues with my Phantom hovering. It won't stay still and is sliding all over the place.

I've tried it in numerous places, and most of the time there should be no external factors affecting the flight (wind etc). The Phantom has up to date firmware, has been fully calibrated, as has the controller. Compass has been calibrated on site and I have flashing green lights prior to take off - but it still will not hover well.

Am I missing something?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Try calibrating the IMU in the Phantom Assistant application. It's important to ensure your Phantom is on a level surface when doing this -- otherwise, your Phantom might drift (like you're describing).

Some people found the NAZA unit inside of their Phantom was not level. So, even though they calibrated on a level surface, it did not work well because the NAZA unit was not level. This is a lengthy thread, but it talks about how to resolve that issue by placing a level on top of the NAZA unit.

Last edited:
Yeah, I done that calibration too.

When it was calibrating, and even after it was done, I was still getting some movement in the numbers - I'm assuming that shouldn't be happening?

[ Edit: Should've watched the video first ]

Watched the video, mine looks the same, so followed that thread through and tried a few of their fixes - off out for a test after dinner.

Thanks

Last edited:
Well, that didn't work either.

I re-calibrated it on a perfectly flat area, and made sure the Phantom was perfectly level too, but still yawing all over the place.

It's not even in the same direction all the time, it's just drifting all over the place.

Mine did that after I "upgraded" to wider taller legs. When I re-installed the compass, I didn't have it vertical like it was. It was not a happy bird. After I finally got the compass set, then I did the IMU calibration using a piece of glass over the motors and leveled it up. Mine works now.

Terry - I literally just pondered whether this was my problem - how did you get your compass sorted? Did you have to just re-install the stock legs?

No...I have it working with the new legs. It has to be mounted on a vertical portion of the leg and the "face" of the compass must be pointed at the leg on the opposite side of the Quad. If it is off just a degree or two, it can be frustrating.

How did you manage that then? The wire on mine isn't long enough to get it to a straight edge on the leg.

Can I mount the compass elsewhere?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428032275.811738.jpg

I really don't remember if I changed legs or not. Mine is mounted on the right rear leg

If your compass won't reach, then you'll either need to splice in a piece of wire or go back to the original legs

I find if I launch and then let the Phantom just sit there that it tends to wander. I usually correct it but I'd say it drifts at least 15' and perhaps would go further. Just today it kept drifting, I'd bring it back, it would drift in that same direction, rinse and repeat. What I find solves the issue is to move/fly the Phantom around a little. Send it out 30' and bring it back. This seems to improve the GPS lock.

So, I've followed everything from the 'Yaw Drift' thread on DJI, and I don't think that's my problem. My Phantom seems to drift all over the place regardless of what I'm doing. I've also tried what you described cope - although it helps a little, I still get some really bad drift.

• I have calibrated the IMU on an even surface, tested with a spirit level
  • I have calibrated the controller
  • I have replaced the stock legs so the compass is now vertical and facing the way it should
  • I have 6+ sattelites
  • I am flying in GPS mode

Even then, right from take off I am drifting forwards, back, left, right, up, down. I can leave the controller completely allone and the Phantom has a mind of its own. It was NOT like this out of the box. Additions I've made are a plug 'n' play FPV system for the HD-3D gimbal/GoPro, replacement legs (I lost my forst compass) and replacement rotors.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next.

The ONLY thing I haven't mentioned is that I have had to move the component circled in red in my pic to a different leg from the original (circled in blue), this is due to the different legs I installed being ever so slightly longer than the originals, but both had the compass box on them, so I couldn't install that on its usual leg.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Anyone shed any light or help me out?

Thanks

Ok ... I'm sitting here with my Phantom on my desk going through the settings etc, and the Immersion Tx just falls off. I take a closer look and it is boiling hot - so hot that it's melted the glue on the heavy duty velcro that was holding it on.

Is this a known issue? Never know this to overheat before?!

[ Edit: The gimbal and the GoPro are pretty hot too - nothing else seems to be giving off any heat though - battery, boards, nothing? ]

". Additions I've made are a plug 'n' play FPV system for the HD-3D gimbal/GoPro, replacement legs (I lost my forst compass) and replacement rotors."

any chance the new rotors are unbalanced.

I tried a non dji set and it was all over crazy while hovering. I bought prop balancer and they were way off!

I don't have issues with dji props though.

good luck

Well, after everything I tried it seemed that my problem was unbalance props!!!

every non dji prop I bought was way off balance , not worth buying. they do strange things quickly when unbalanced even crash.

I did get them (non dji) balanced and keep as last resort backups!

glad it was simple and cheap to fix

Ok ... I'm sitting here with my Phantom on my desk going through the settings etc, and the Immersion Tx just falls off. I take a closer look and it is boiling hot - so hot that it's melted the glue on the heavy duty velcro that was holding it on.

Is this a known issue? Never know this to overheat before?!

[ Edit: The gimbal and the GoPro are pretty hot too - nothing else seems to be giving off any heat though - battery, boards, nothing? ]

Mine did this too, couldn't find tape that wouldn't come unstuck. Ended up buying a shapeways mount for it instead as was scared that even replacing it after every flight it might fall off mid flight sometime.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj