Phantom 2 decent to ground...

Reaction score
Hey Guys just curious, I started out with a Phantom 1 and now own a Phantom 2 with all the bells and whistles. Now my Phantom 1 bringing back down to the ground it descended fassssssst. Now my Phantom 2 for some reason descends super slow even with the throttle pretty much all the way down. My question is, is there something there in the software assistant to adjust this or am I stuck with a slow decent??

Hjones62 said:
Hey Guys just curious, I started out with a Phantom 1 and now own a Phantom 2 with all the bells and whistles. Now my Phantom 1 bringing back down to the ground it descended fassssssst. Now my Phantom 2 for some reason descends super slow even with the throttle pretty much all the way down. My question is, is there something there in the software assistant to adjust this or am I stuck with a slow decent??

The last two (or three???) firmware updates for the P2s limit the descent to 2 meters/sec. No user adjustments.

Can't speak to any updates or past revs. of P1 f/w.

N017RW said:
The last two (or three???) firmware updates for the P2s limit the descent to 2 meters/sec. No user adjustments.

hey dude. I see you helping out around here a lot, fwiw version 2 firmwares had 3m/s limit, then version 3.x firmwares bumped it down to 2m/s.

if I'm just hovering and holding the throttle down, my iOSD tells me it's pretty much locked at 1.8-1.9m/s descent. if I'm moving laterally with the throttle all the way down sometimes it'll give me like 2.5

but yea you're just stuck with that slow descent HJones. the reason being too many people were crashing their drones due to VRS and DJI was replacing them all under warranty. so now they have 2m/s descent limit which under most conditions isn't fast enough to cause a VRS

QYV said:
N017RW said:

hey dude. I see you helping out around here a lot, fwiw version 2 firmwares had 3m/s limit, then version 3.x firmwares bumped it down to 2m/s.

if I'm just hovering and holding the throttle down, my iOSD tells me it's pretty much locked at 1.8-1.9m/s descent. if I'm moving laterally with the throttle all the way down sometimes it'll give me like 2.5

but yea you're just stuck with that slow descent HJones. the reason being too many people were crashing their drones due to VRS and DJI was replacing them all under warranty. so now they have 2m/s descent limit which under most conditions isn't fast enough to cause a VRS
Since were on the topic of descent and the mention of descent when moving laterally. Has everyone noticed that full descent and attempting glide slope, the bird spasms back to level, screwing up glide slope?

I don't remember this occurring on 3.04.

QYV said:
N017RW said:

I was speaking in regards to sequence, i.e. the last 2 or 3 releases, not the rev. # itself.
The OP didn't ask why.

N017RW said:
I was speaking in regards to sequence, i.e. the last 2 or 3 releases, not the rev. # itself.
The OP didn't ask why.

ya I know just clarifying for ya in case your knowledge didn't go back quite that far.. nbd tryin to help the helpers

Super :)

Damon said:
Since were on the topic of descent and the mention of descent when moving laterally. Has everyone noticed that full descent and attempting glide slope, the bird spasms back to level, screwing up glide slope?

I don't remember this occurring on 3.04.

I can't remember if it happened on 3.04 but I absolutely know what you're talking about right now. It's not in the official documentation but there are definitely other restrictions in place when descending, for example I can't descend at full throttle and rotate at the same time.

So yes, some sort of protection kicks in at some threshold and the Phantom spasms like NO I REFUSE TO MOVE THAT WAY WHILE DESCENDING

very annoying. like the limit itself not being a user-configurable setting : :roll:

I was trying figure out if its the 2m/s limit causing it to spasm level. Or if its some attempt in software to fight fly away, seen as unusual flight command, if held there for a certain duration. Like its trying to over ride possible ghost interference commands.

I have noticed the same thing during full throttle down, forward speed descents. My P2 will pitch up suddenly, un-commanded. I thought it was being caused by the onset of VRS. Y'all are saying it's some sort of input from the Naza? Hmmm... I will have to check this out again next time I fly.

Most likely not VRS since its moving forward into "clean air".

Damon said:

So, what's the reason for the jerking behavior? I can get it to do it each and every time I descend with the throttle all the way down. Annoying!

DesertFlyer53 said:
Damon said:

So, what's the reason for the jerking behavior? I can get it to do it each and every time I descend with the throttle all the way down. Annoying!
Just need to clarify. Is it happening to you when apply full down and full forward? Or are you talking about just full down?

If just straight down probably VRS, but if it is occurring on glide slope...we will never know the answer because DJI does not provide much info about firmware updates.

Does this 'jerking' happen at any altitude or possibly at a specific or consistent altitude?

It maybe related to this feature in v3.06 (emphasis added):

Main Controller - Major New Features:
a) Added two levels of battery warnings: Low Battery Level Warning and Critical Battery Level Warning.
When enabled, Auto Go Home will be activated if the battery level reaches a Low Battery Level Warning. Setup these warnings using either the DJI Phantom Assistant or DJI Vision App.
b) When the battery level reaches a Critical Battery Level Warning, the aircraft will automatically land. The motors will power off after landing.
c) The speed of descent will be automatically adjusted based on current altitude.
d) Minimum adjustable height limit set to 20m.
e) Magnetic declination value stored to improve flight course accuracy.
f) New fix of a video signal problem that affected some Phantom 2 Vision users.
g) Various bug fixes.

Is it possible the jerking is a result of the a/c abruptly reducing it's descent speed as per 'c' above?

If its happening on full throttle down, it's just doing into landing mode.

IIRC 3 seconds of constant down on the throttle at 100% triggers this.

It seems that if you have a certain vertical speed this does not trigger.

Try the throttle in a slighly less than full down and the problem goes away in my experience :)

N017RW said:
Does this 'jerking' happen at any altitude or possibly at a specific or consistent altitude?

It maybe related to this feature in v3.06 (emphasis added):

Main Controller - Major New Features:
a) Added two levels of battery warnings: Low Battery Level Warning and Critical Battery Level Warning.
When enabled, Auto Go Home will be activated if the battery level reaches a Low Battery Level Warning. Setup these warnings using either the DJI Phantom Assistant or DJI Vision App.
b) When the battery level reaches a Critical Battery Level Warning, the aircraft will automatically land. The motors will power off after landing.
c) The speed of descent will be automatically adjusted based on current altitude.
d) Minimum adjustable height limit set to 20m.
e) Magnetic declination value stored to improve flight course accuracy.
f) New fix of a video signal problem that affected some Phantom 2 Vision users.
g) Various bug fixes.

Is it possible the jerking is a result of the a/c abruptly reducing it's descent speed as per 'c' above?
Good find. I guess I should read release notes a couple of times ;)

Major_Defeat said:
If its happening on full throttle down, it's just doing into landing mode.

IIRC 3 seconds of constant down on the throttle at 100% triggers this.

It seems that if you have a certain vertical speed this does not trigger.

Try the throttle in a slighly less than full down and the problem goes away in my experience :)
It does not appear to be that. Tonight I tested again and it did not show up at all. [emoji16]

Damon said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
Damon said:

Just need to clarify. Is it happening to you when apply full down and full forward? Or are you talking about just full down?

If just straight down probably VRS, but if it is occurring on glide slope...we will never know the answer because DJI does not provide much info about firmware updates.

In GPS mode... full forward on the right stick and full down on the left stick, and it happens... the nose jerks up. If not all the way down on the left stick, it does not happen. I have always thought it was because of VRS onset. Now that we're talking about it, I'm beginning to think it's a firmware issue...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic