Phantom 2 Datalink and Waypoint Questions

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a video guy, not an RC guy, but I think I'm on the right track regarding what I want to do. I have a Phantom 2 (non-vision) with the H3-2D and a GoPro. I want to equip it so I can fly via waypoints programmed ahead of time. . But before I start actually buying I want to make sure I am correct on some things.

1.) As far as what I need to purchase, I just need the DJI 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink? It will have all the cables and plugs I need to connect to my Phantom 2 and my TX to work. And it is compatible with the NAZA M 2 that the Phantom 2 comes with? Is there anything else I will need?

2.) I know as an option, many people flying FPV get the Spironet Antenna's. Do those work for Bluetooth and should I consider getting those?

3.) Is the IOSD a component that will place flight information on my video? Is that correct? I don't have one of those, and for now if that is what it does I'm not planning to add that. However, if I do add it later, at that time I would need to get a Can-Bus hub as my Datalink will use the one on the leg and that is the only one that comes with the Phantom 2?

4.) I've already downloaded the Phantom RC Assistant Software, but I should plug in my Phantom and make sure I have the latest firmware.

5.) I'll need to plug in my transmitter, make sure it has the latest firmware, and calibrate the joysticks, X1 & X2 switch, and the gimble control on the back of the transmitter.

6.) Download the Ground Station App to my IPad. (Can the unit also be controlled from an IPhone 4?)

Sorry if some of these are newbie questions, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any replies can just reference my question or comment number. Thanks! Love this forum!

1. yes
2. not sure. good question. although its not bluetooth, its still 2.4. the bluetooth is only to the iPad
3. it adds flight info to your fpv feed. no hub needed. mini iosd has a can bus port on it.
4. yup. the firmware for the GS isn't out yet
5. ok
6. no. iPad only for now

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5847&hilit=ground

Glad I came upon this thread. I had a phantom, but am thinking of upgrading to the Phantom 2 non-vision so I can incorporate the ipad ground station. If it isn't working with the P2, what is it working with? I saw a guy post a video on vimeo that he has his ipad ground station working on his Phantom 1.

Any luck with installing the GS?

they need to get on that, I thought the release of the firmware was last month. I've had the data link for months now, I really wish I did more research before that purchase.

Once the Ipad ground station app is updated will it be functional? or do i need to somehow update the RX/Tx somehow?

Ravecreative said:
Yeh

not so bad, but i bought a btu and i cant use that either :-(

The Phantom2 has been a great learning experience, but I am beginning to realize how simple and cheap quadcopters are to build; especially after finding the hobbyking web site. A frame, four motors, speed controller, etc.. connect them to the brain and load the firmware, that's pretty much it. If I had built my own I could just get a flight controller that does support the data link for like $30. but again without the phantom I would have learned all of this, it definitely got my foot in the door, and I am now hooked.

I watched the gentleman's video on Vimeo. He had his datalink on a bracket on the back end of his landing gear. He had it working, but due to the weight and drain on the battery, his flight time was a max of 5 minutes. He additionally had an FPV system installed, so if he didn't have that, then maybe he would have a bit longer of a flight, but I'm guessing not that much.

With this, it's now coming down to a decision of getting the P1 and having a few extra batteries, or get the P2 and wait for the firmware to come out for the ground station. I def plan on getting the ground station, so I just need to figure out what will be best cost-wise.

Just FYI, Last Friday (01/31/14) I emailed DJI off of their website inquiring if they had a new date in mind for release of the new firmware. I still haven't received a response.

I think it may have been Monday (02/03/14) and I sent a message to their North American Facebook page. I don't know who runs that page but they responded. They didn't have a date, said they would not release till it was 100% ready, but at least they responded.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20