Phantom 2 Crash

Reaction score
Been flying a Phantom 1 for quite some time now, and recently bought a Phantom 2.
I invested in all the cool upgrades, and been flying it 5-6 times with no problems.
Then yesterday it just dropped out of the sky from 100 meter up.

I think I have solved the mystery, but would like to know if this is a common problem?

Do you think DJI will take my complain serious? From what I have read, I shouldn't have high hopes.

Was pretty abrupt. I would have guessed a hawk strike but didn't catch any glimps of a hawk while it was tumbling and filming.

Been flying a Phantom 1 for quite some time now, and recently bought a Phantom 2.
I invested in all the cool upgrades, and been flying it 5-6 times with no problems.
Then yesterday it just dropped out of the sky from 100 meter up.

I think I have solved the mystery, but would like to know if this is a common problem?

Do you think DJI will take my complain serious? From what I have read, I shouldn't have high hopes.

From the second video the P2 never hit the ground but the fall broken by the brush. Also noticed the the battery wasn't plugged in all the way and would answer why there sound of the motors running while it was falling.until it hit the brush. There are three things that can kill the motors in flight a lose GPS, spring loaded info pins not making contact with the battery.and pilot error sticks in csc.

Since seeing that the battery was not fully seated there is what I would say was what caused the crash.

Oh sorry, I thought the video would include all the description on YouTube.
I'm 100% sure the battery was properly clicked in. This is the update video with slow motion footage and an explanation to the crash.

Please visit YouTube for the whole description in the original video.

Thanks

Sounds like 1 engine failed correct?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I assume it was this broken motorwire that caused the crash. Esc for the rear right motor. It was a disaster waiting to happen, as the wire seems too short.

Attachments

• IMAG2711.jpg
    IMAG2711.jpg
    840.7 KB · Views: 348
Don't know if you resoldiered that Esc but I noticed ever since I changed mine when the soldiers would get hot when turned on all my soldier joints would come off one by one no matter how much soldier I used,that's why I'm scared to fly mine so far

Don't know if you resoldiered that Esc but I noticed ever since I changed mine when the soldiers would get hot when turned on all my soldier joints would come off one by one no matter how much soldier I used,that's why I'm scared to fly mine so far

You are either using the wrong solder, not cleaning the pads properly or you need to work on your soldering skills.

Yes I did just start soldiering but aside from using the right soldier you don't have to be a brain surgeon to soldier two pieces together

Yes I did just start soldiering but aside from using the right soldier you don't have to be a brain surgeon to soldier two pieces together

Being a brain surgeon surely won't help when it comes to soldering two pieces together but there is an amount of skill required to do so. I spent many years repairing electronic equipment and there is a certain amount of skill in soldering if there weren't you wouldn't be afraid to fly your P2 after making those repairs. Your words not mine.

You are either using the wrong solder, not cleaning the pads properly or you need to work on your soldering skills.

Your compassion is completely impressive. You are a great guy!

OP, I'm really sorry for your loss. I've experienced this with a P1. I own a P2 with FPV that I want to sell, but I'm afraid of selling something that will disapoint a buyer. I haven't flown it in 18 months. I was planning to take it out this weekend to test fly.

This is the last video I made

I've since changed to a Solo, which has given me confidence to do all sorts of things, including this video from last week

I would never attempt this with the Phantom

I hope things work out!

The first key component is a good soldering iron. Personally, all I own are Hakkos. In looking at the picture, my guess is the wire had been heated too hot, too many times, causing the copper to become brittle. If it were mine, I would take the motors out, cut back the wire, solder and shrink tube new extensions, and reattach to the board. If you have a hot air gun, preheat everything first so you do not need to hold the iron on it for so long. In addition, pickup a desoldering pump. It allows you to remove the buildup of previous solder.

There is a lot of skill when it comes to soldering those who say there isnt i bet gets a lot of cold solder and would let go with very little heat added to it.
I have 10 plus years doing soldering and the last 3 doing it on navy ships

You had a similar problem with a vent rotator arm. Did you secure your phantom with a vice and heat with heat gun and bend rotor arm with a pliers?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I might have to open up a whole other reason for the crash, because I do feel that the solder joint could have been broken in the crash.

You lose power directly over those high transmission lines, it sounded as if the entire P2 shuts down. Have you looked into the possibility that eddy electrical currents could have interfered with the NAZA? It's amazing what those high transmission lines are capable of. I would look into that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20