Phantom 2 crash after update

Reaction score
I live in Alberta Canada and I've had a number of issues since the July 29 update and the last one resulted in a significant drift and an unstable descent right into a swamp.

I've actually had issues with my unit out of the box since day one.. I'm really not sure if it is related to the compass/declination issue though. The symptoms were intermittent.

Please don't ask questions such as 'did you calibrate compass?' or 'did you do advanced calibration?', or 'did you have GPS lock?' or 'were you near electromagnetic interference?'. None of these were a factor as I had spent over 20 hours troubleshooting everything I could think of or read about on these forums. I'm aware of all of those items.

Should I even bother purchasing another Phantom 2? I really want to believe that my unit was just a lemon since I see so many people claiming the latest update solved their TBE/hooking issue.

Thoughts?

tferrari said:
I live in Alberta Canada and I've had a number of issues since the July 29 update and the last one resulted in a significant drift and an unstable descent right into a swamp.

I've actually had issues with my unit out of the box since day one.. I'm really not sure if it is related to the compass/declination issue though. The symptoms were intermittent.

Please don't ask questions such as 'did you calibrate compass?' or 'did you do advanced calibration?', or 'did you have GPS lock?' or 'were you near electromagnetic interference?'. None of these were a factor as I had spent over 20 hours troubleshooting everything I could think of or read about on these forums. I'm aware of all of those items.

Should I even bother purchasing another Phantom 2? I really want to believe that my unit was just a lemon since I see so many people claiming the latest update solved their TBE/hooking issue.

Thoughts?
Also NO. Not enough info on 'drifting' 'unstable descent', 'issues since day one'. What on earth does that tell us?

Where in Alberta are you? I'm in Edmonton (I know, obvious from my nic)

I don't think there is enough information in your original post for anyone to offer any suggestions or help without knowing more about the flight. Is your controller set to Phantom or Naza? Were you flying in GPS or ATTI mode? Do you have an iOSD installed?

I am also located in Edmonton.
tom3holer said:
Did you have a GoPro camera installed and by any chance was the wifi turned on?
That is a sure way to cause a crash.

Tom

Gopro was not installed at the time. I removed my H3-3D gimbal and GoPro when I noted my unit was having issues. Good idea though..

I didn't originally intend for my question to be a technical one, but more as to whether or not I should purchase another unit based on the 'success' of the new firmware update and just ignore the cause of the issue with my particular unit. When I re-read the question, it does seem pretty retarded the way I wrote it. Sorry about that.

As I can see you fellas are looking to help with the technical side. Here are some notes and anecdotal evidence:

- Controller has been in both Phantom and NAZA mode throughout my testing. Crash occurred in NAZA mode while GPS mode was engaged.
- Unstable descent was a very heavy wobble when bringing the unit down from about 100 feet at about half throttle. It really seems like it could be a symptom of VRS...
- Symptoms only appear in GPS mode. No symptoms in ATTI mode.
- When under GPS lock (indicated by LEDs), the unit will typically drift to the right 6-18 feet upon liftoff and sometimes will show signs of TBE if left to hover. The craziest thing is how far to the right it would pull upon liftoff. It would never pull to the left... Varying levels of correction are required in flight depending on the particular flight.
- Sometimes the symptoms seem to decrease over time as the unit is operated, but sometimes the unit won't descend properly or the 'drift' cannot be corrected unless ATTI mode is enabled. I've had a flyaway issue that I managed to recover (approximately 300 feet away before I was able to recover it).
- When the unit is acting up, the symptoms are most noticeable during yaw and almost require the control stick to be maxxed to one direction or the other to correct the phantom's choice in flight direction immediately after performing a yaw function.
- All symptoms are on a 'per use basis'. If the unit just happens to be stable at the start of the flight, it will continue to be stable throughout it. If I land it, power cycle it and repeat (or don't repeat) the compass calibrations, it may start to have these issues again. I've had to repeat the power cycle and compass calibration 5-10 times to be able to get the unit to hover in one place and not drift or be unpredictable. I can literally tell within 1 second of taking off if the unit is going to be stable for the flight or not. In the case of the crash, I tried to ride it out and see if I could get the unit to be more stable over time in GPS mode.
- All calibrations completed in software (RC sticks and compass)
- Tried performing compass calibration before each flight and also NOT performing the compass calibration after a successful flight and after a power cycle. There is no link between the symptoms are doing too many compass calibrations in my observation.
- All firmware updated (or so it says in the DJI software)
- GPS unit is in correct orientation and top of phantom is attached to phantom in correct orientation.
- Performed deguassing of compass.
- Battery above 75% at time of crash.

I just cannot believe that the symptoms could be so drastic during one flight and nearly gone in another. I've done a lot of my testing in a farmer's field away from anything related to interference. Aside from the terrible crash, I would say that the hooking I would experience is far worse than anything I have seen in videos. It would hook at an angle greater than 45 degrees. Other times it would just fly straight as an arrow.

Maybe I'm doing something incorrectly, but it would have to be so simple that only an idiot could miss it.

Lastly -- for those in Edmonton, can you let me know about the performance of your unit? This will help me determine whether or not I should buy another unit. Thanks.

Edmonton has about 15deg of dec so yes, you will experience TBE and J hooking to a noticeable degree.
Not sure what software you are using but the latest up to but not including 3.06 work fairly well in stopping TBE and J hooking.
3.06 has some issues reported and I would hold off till they are worked out.

Tom

tom3holer said:
Edmonton has about 15deg of dec so yes, you will experience TBE and J hooking to a noticeable degree.
Not sure what software you are using but the latest up to but not including 3.06 work fairly well in stopping TBE and J hooking.

Tom

3.04 did not address j hook or declination at all. 3.06 on the other hand does fix both fully. The original firmware upgrade post is long but nearly everyone is very happy with it and worth a complete read through. Many saying stability has returned to the old stalwart 1.08 version. I do respect those who wish to wait though.

I flew again this morning in the Edmonton region with 3.06. It was extremely well behaved, and I saw none of the TBE and J hook I had on 3.04. I've had no issues at all, so I can't think the difficulties you've endured are related to our location.

Tferrari, based on my personal experience here in Edmonton I don't hesitate to recommend continuing your Phantom ownership, even though it will hurt the wallet.

tom3holer said:

Tom

I updated to the 3.06 firmware. Perhaps my unit was one of the few that were suffering from some of the reported issues with 3.06? I am not sure.

IrishSights said:
3.04 did not address j hook or declination at all. 3.06 on the other hand does fix both fully. The original firmware upgrade post is long but nearly everyone is very happy with it and worth a complete read through. Many saying stability has returned to the old stalwart 1.08 version. I do respect those who wish to wait though.

I read the majority of it and it seems most people are satisfied, just as you say.

EdmontonPhotog said:
I flew again this morning in the Edmonton region with 3.06. It was extremely well behaved, and I saw none of the TBE and J hook I had on 3.04. I've had no issues at all, so I can't think the difficulties you've endured are related to our location.

Tferrari, based on my personal experience here in Edmonton I don't hesitate to recommend continuing your Phantom ownership, even though it will hurt the wallet.

It's great to hear from someone in the same city as me. This certainly gives me more confidence to purchase another unit.

I wonder if I can purchase the Phantom 2 unit itself without a controller? Maybe the controller has something to do with the issue I had and I should just toss it aside.

Are you interested in some spare parts for your Phantom? :p

---

Thanks all for your helpful information. If anyone has anything else to say, it would be appreciated. I'm pretty bummed out about throwing 750 bucks down the drain.. or more suitably 'into a swamp'.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj