Phantom 2 basic/standard model

Reaction score
Hello,

I been lurking around Phantom Pilots for a month or so now, even after reading countless threads I still am a bit lost. Ill start with my bird, it is a Phantom 2 basic (guess that’s the correct name), I picked it up for what I thought to be a great deal at the time ($199). Upon receiving I found no mount for a camera, and the recommended gimbals costs around $250. That instantly takes my bird to $450, and I have no FPV yet :eek:

Now on to what I would like out of my Phantom. FPV is a must, flying within eyesight around the house is fun and all, but Id love to hit the open air and let'er rip! With FPV comes the camera, this doesn’t need to be 4k as I don’t even have a 4k TV. Even if I did, my usage is more for fun than making professional quality videos.

With the basics out the way comes the million dollar question. Am I better off selling my Phantom 2 and buying the P3 basic model ($650)? The P3 basic looks to come with FPV built in to it, even if it requires me to use a tablet. I have tablets laying around, but not Black Pearls. What is a reasonable amount I could get out of a used Phantom 2 basic model? I know it is the 2.4 GHz model, I did upgrade the GPS antenna and re-route the cable (one of 1st things i did), but that’s about it as far as mods go. My bird also has the latest motors and the upgraded controller. I’ve yet to crash (knocks on wood), and haven’t changed it over to NAZA mode if that matters.

Any input is much appreciated. I know that buying something piece by piece always costs more than as a whole, but I am OK with this if I'll have a better bird with a better FPV set-up in the end.

Thanks

Hello,

I been lurking around Phantom Pilots for a month or so now, even after reading countless threads I still am a bit lost. Ill start with my bird, it is a Phantom 2 basic (guess that’s the correct name), I picked it up for what I thought to be a great deal at the time ($199). Upon receiving I found no mount for a camera, and the recommended gimbals costs around $250. That instantly takes my bird to $450, and I have no FPV yet :eek:

Now on to what I would like out of my Phantom. FPV is a must, flying within eyesight around the house is fun and all, but Id love to hit the open air and let'er rip! With FPV comes the camera, this doesn’t need to be 4k as I don’t even have a 4k TV. Even if I did, my usage is more for fun than making professional quality videos.

With the basics out the way comes the million dollar question. Am I better off selling my Phantom 2 and buying the P3 basic model ($650)? The P3 basic looks to come with FPV built in to it, even if it requires me to use a tablet. I have tablets laying around, but not Black Pearls. What is a reasonable amount I could get out of a used Phantom 2 basic model? I know it is the 2.4 GHz model, I did upgrade the GPS antenna and re-route the cable (one of 1st things i did), but that’s about it as far as mods go. My bird also has the latest motors and the upgraded controller. I’ve yet to crash (knocks on wood), and haven’t changed it over to NAZA mode if that matters.

Any input is much appreciated. I know that buying something piece by piece always costs more than as a whole, but I am OK with this if I'll have a better bird with a better FPV set-up in the end.

Thanks

H4-3D Gimbal ----------$199.00 new or $169.95 used
Black Pearl --------------$229.00 or less
Immersion 600mw TX $69.99
Plug n Play cable ------$15.00
mini iOSD ----------------$69.00
total -----$581.99
These prices will change depending on who or where you buy them and you still need the GoPro either hero 3+ blk or the hero 4 blk. These price also depend on what manufacture you decide on such as Boscam, Black Pearl, Flysight. The gimbal price is from B&H in NY.
DJI Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal for GoPro HERO4 Black CP.ZM.000145 B&H

Reactions: IamTheOneWhoKnocks
H4-3D Gimbal ----------$199.00 new or $169.95 used
Black Pearl --------------$229.00 or less
Immersion 600mw TX $69.99
Plug n Play cable ------$15.00
mini iOSD ----------------$69.00
total -----$581.99
These prices will change depending on who or where you buy them and you still need the GoPro either hero 3+ blk or the hero 4 blk. These price also depend on what manufacture you decide on such as Boscam, Black Pearl, Flysight. The gimbal price is from B&H in NY.
DJI Zenmuse H4-3D Gimbal for GoPro HERO4 Black CP.ZM.000145 B&H

Thanks for the breakdown. To me the equipment needed nearly adds up to the cost of the P3 basic, but takes the fun away of tinkering. Also buying part by part I am able to break the cost up a bit. I found a H3-3D gimbal for $156 at blinq.com, compatible with Hero 3/4. I guess Ive got a decission to make here. Either foot the bill of $800+ to get the P2 up to par of a P3, or sell P2 and put the monies into the P3 basic.

Thanks Again

edit...the Black Pearl, would that be the 7 or 32 channel?

here is the gimbal I found for $156, upon reading, I dont see it mention compatibility with the "Black" versions of the Hero cameras. Can someone verify whether this will work for the set up jason has posted above.

DJI Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro HERO3/3+/4 (Phantom 2) (White) - BLINQ

Last edited:
Thanks for the breakdown. To me the equipment needed nearly adds up to the cost of the P3 basic, but takes the fun away of tinkering. Also buying part by part I am able to break the cost up a bit. I found a H3-3D gimbal for $156 at blinq.com, compatible with Hero 3/4. I guess Ive got a decission to make here. Either foot the bill of $800+ to get the P2 up to par of a P3, or sell P2 and put the monies into the P3 basic.

Thanks Again

edit...the Black Pearl, would that be the 7 or 32 channel?

here is the gimbal I found for $156, upon reading, I dont see it mention compatibility with the "Black" versions of the Hero cameras. Can someone verify whether this will work for the set up jason has posted above.

DJI Zenmuse H3-3D 3-Axis Gimbal for GoPro HERO3/3+/4 (Phantom 2) (White) - BLINQ

That gimbal was posted on ebay is no longer there and the ad on blinq says it's 15 days old but give it shot. If they don't the link I give you is for the newest gimbal and only gimbal DJI makes for the P2.

Sorry but I make it a practice not to take sides on which manufacture of FPV equipment and which items they make are better then others. The FPV equipment I use is listed in red at the bottom of this post and reason I don't suggest which to use is that I do not have that little boy ego some here seem to have.

Reactions: IamTheOneWhoKnocks
I was like you, I had just bought a P2 standard then debated if I should have gotten the P3 instead. But I already have a Gopro Hero 3+ and 4 so thats why I stayed with the P2. If your patient and shop around, you can get deals on the FPV stuff. I paid about $300 for everything to get my FPV system up and running. Bought everything on ebay brand new. Got the Black Pearl screen for $140 by making an offer. I'm sure you'll be able to find a deal on a GoPro 3+ Black or 4 Black as well. Just gotta be patient and keep a watching eye out. It'll save you some money.

well after thinking it over, i have definitely decided to keep my P2 and add my own FPV set up. Reasoning is a few different things, spreading the cost out, and the FPV can be transferred to another copter if I wanted too. I dont have a GoPro HERO yet, and seen these little cameras can get quite expensive. All I really need/want is to be able to film at 1080. Will the GoPro HERO 3 WHITE edition work for this, or must it be a BLACK version?

well after thinking it over, i have definitely decided to keep my P2 and add my own FPV set up. Reasoning is a few different things, spreading the cost out, and the FPV can be transferred to another copter if I wanted too. I dont have a GoPro HERO yet, and seen these little cameras can get quite expensive. All I really need/want is to be able to film at 1080. Will the GoPro HERO 3 WHITE edition work for this, or must it be a BLACK version?

I think you should be able to use a Hero 3 White or see if you can get a 3+ Silver edition if the Black is outta your range. I'm assuming they will work with the zenmuse gimbals as well if thats what you decide to get.

Have you checked on ebay for a used Hero 3+ silver, black or even the Hero 4 black. There are 2 Hero 3 cameras and the ones without the + sign had just to many problems that is the reason there are two models of the camera. My last two cameras a Hero 3+ and 4 both black here purchased used as I didn't need any of the hardware and I paid less then half for them. Here are two listing on line today.
** CAMERA & BATTERY ONLY ** GoPro Hero 3+ Black Camcorder

GoPro HERO3+ Black Edition Camera HD Camcorder
The last one is a really good buy and the price is less then the half of what have cost new for all the hardware plus. You can also find good buys on Hero 4 black used as well.

Yes, definitely check ebay. I bought my gopro's off ebay as well all in mint condition for half the price brand new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20