Phantom 2 anti gravity t-motor failure?

Reaction score
Hello everyone! finally took the plunge and got myself a fully loaded P2 from a member here. Took it out today to an empty field for my first flight. Went through all safety checks, calibrated compass and was up and flying in no time. After a few batteries, and about 45 minutes of flying, i took a 10 min brake. When i was ready to fly again, I could not get the phantom to turn on. The battery I was using was somewhat low so I swapped it out for a fresh one. After the Phantom started up, I noticed one of the anti-gravity motors acting up (see video). After a power cycle, it started working again. At this point, I was nervous about that motor so I only did a few low passes. As I was coming in for landing, the motor failed and the phantom flipped and landed upside down on the grass.

Luckily it was from about 3 feet so it wasn't a hard landing. Weird part is that when I picked it up, it was completely off. The second the motor failed, the lightbridge app went black and showed no video or connection to the P2. I turned the P2 back on and the same motor was acting up again.

So I guess my question is this, from what I described, does it sound like a single motor failed or does it sound like more of an electrical failure somewhere? The part that worries me is that it shut off.

I guess I'll be ordering a new set of the anti gravity motors :/

http://youtu.be/HnCaqMRIfmg

Welcome to the forum. I think that might be a bad ESC, not motor. That is what a ESC looks like when failing. Could be wrong but I would see about changing that first. I just installed those motors on mine Friday as they are a good motor with great reviews.

Right -- replace the ESC first. That is most likely the cause.

Ya that does sound more like an esc going or a short some were. Being a short circuit will shut off the battery as a safety feature.
Tho If these motors were recently installed I would look around in side real close and make sure there are no stray solder balls or even any fine strands of the multi strand wires on the motors sticking out and shorting on any of the connections on the esc or any thing that could cause a short circuit.

Them t motors are some really good motors and not to likely to be the motor and brushless motors also dont tend to burn out being they dont have any brushes in them and only thing that will usually cause a motor to crap the bed is if one of the fine wires in the windings is damaged. and if its not an esc thats the culprit and by some fluke you did get a bunk t motor some how. They have a 2 year warranty on them.

For those that have these motors, are the stock ESCs sufficent?

For those that have these motors, are the stock ESCs sufficent?

Yes even the V2.0's

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20