Phantom 2 and AVL58 - Can it be hardwired?

Reaction score
I have a phantom 2 with zenmuse h3-3d gimble and hero 3+. I was looking at purchasing the AVL58 system for pfv but my only draw back is having another battery weighing my rig down. My question was is it possible to hardware this using the cables on the phantom 2 to power it from the phantom battery. My next question will I get more flying time from powering it from the phantom 2 battery or attaching a lipo battery to my rig? Thanks for the help guys!

Yes it can be hardwired to your Phantom. (Most of us do it that way) You'll lose secs by hardwiring it.

By secs you mean powering the Tx via the phantom 2 battery you only lose seconds of flight time?

Chutch85 said:
By secs you mean powering the Tx via the phantom 2 battery you only lose seconds of flight time?

Correct, the transmitter draws a very small amount of current especially compared to the motors. The effect on your flight time will be minimal. As EMC mentioned it's also easiest to just power it off the main battery...the AVL58 is designed to be plug-n-play with the Phantom and you can get video and power feeds from the same port with no soldering.

I can't imagine why anyone would not want to physically hardwire this stuff in vs hanging another battery and all that. Maybe it's a fear of soldering I guess. So ill just hardware it and strip the wires in the middle, solder, then heat shrink and should be golden! Thanks for all your help. I just joined the other day I've always read the forums. Lots of good info here

Chutch85 said:
So ill just hardware it and strip the wires in the middle, solder, then heat shrink and should be golden!

You shouldn't have to do any of that even, the provided cable from the Phantom mainboard to the AVL58 feeds both power and video.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr