Phantom 2 - 3D Zenmuse H4 + GoPro Black. It will not start...

Reaction score
Phantom 2 - 3D Zenmuse H4 + GoPro Black. It will not start...

Hello to all,
I'm trying to start the Phantom 2 just bought but I can not ...
I state that I replaced the original supports with the biggest we avoid being framed by the camera.
When then also turn on the Drone, the LEDs light up all (still green) for a few seconds and then go off. At that point he looks dead.
I tried to press the again and again battery button, holding it down, but nothing. Light up all four LEDs (green) and after a couple of seconds go off ...
HELP!

N.B.
It is the first time with the drones, so I didn't use the go pro: there is only the gimbal Zemuse installed but no camera mounted because - as I said before - I would like to learn to fly the drone and then to film with it.

Thanks for help!

You need to press the battery button once and them press and hold a second time till all the LEDS light. And if you don't intend to fit the camera for a while you need to remove the gimbal from the craft. The gimbal MUST have the GoPro fitted when it is powered up.

Hi f-c,
great, I'l try. About to remove the gimbal, I instead simply disconnected the cable... ti should be not necessary to remove completely the gimbal...

Okay, now it works, but I can go ahead with compass calibration...: after step 5 "slow yellow flashing indicates ready to fly without GPS", I'm training the next step following the instructions (Step 6):
Rapidly flip the S1 switch from the "fully up" to the "fully down" positions for at least 6 times, but the LEDS turn on solid RED. Even if switch off and then on the remote controller the LED Flight indicators DON'T change to display a solid yellow but remains on solid RED.
Please help

Linking the Drone to PT2 assistant software, I received this error:

Screen_Shot_2016_08_05_at_09_06_44.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_08_05_at_09_08_10.jpg

I restart many times Remote controller and Drone, but no way...

Linking the Drone to PT2 assistant software, I received this error:

Screen_Shot_2016_08_05_at_09_06_44.jpg

Screen_Shot_2016_08_05_at_09_08_10.jpg

I restart many times Remote controller and Drone, but no way...
Your A E T X channel are showing 1000 values. This should be 0 for all 4 channels if the remote is untouched. This usually means the receiver daughter board is crushed/damaged or your sticks on your controller is pointed in the upper right corners.

Hi Mark,
sorry, I am completely NOT EXPERT with drone... so, please, let me what do you means for "Steaks" in this contest. Maybe, do you intend the drone landing gear?

Anyway, as already said, I replaced original landing gear with extended and the Compass cable is too short... to reach the base of landing gear (I read the compass should be placed on the base of the landing gear, (Horizontal position). So, I have two ways to do it:
A - the first is to get the Compass grey cable out of the rear hole so that the cable can reach the right horizontal position at the base of the landing gear;
B - replace the original Compass grey cable with a longer one, avoiding to change original Compass position (at front left side of the camera Lens.)

It is right?

Your A E T X channel are showing 1000 values. This should be 0 for all 4 channels if the remote is untouched. This usually means the receiver daughter board is crushed/damaged or your sticks on your controller is pointed in the upper right corners.

Those A E T X values of 1000 for all four channels could also mean he didn't have the R/C turned on. Remember he is new and doesn't have a good working knowledge of quadcopters.

This is with the R/C off
Page 1 View.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
sorry, I am completely NOT EXPERT with drone... so, please, let me what do you means for "Steaks" in this contest. Maybe, do you intend the drone landing gear?

Anyway, as already said, I replaced original landing gear with extended and the Compass cable is too short... to reach the base of landing gear (I read the compass should be placed on the base of the landing gear, (Horizontal position). So, I have two ways to do it:
A - the first is to get the Compass grey cable out of the rear hole so that the cable can reach the right horizontal position at the base of the landing gear;
B - replace the original Compass grey cable with a longer one, avoiding to change original Compass position (at front left side of the camera Lens.)

It is right?

The compass should remain on the right rear landing gear no matter if it doesn't go down as far as it did on the original gear.

You need to calibrate the sticks and X1 (if you are using a camera) in both R/C controller and the P2's assistant software.
Maybe you should read the User's Manual before continuing as there is allot of information you'll need.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

IMG_5632.jpg

The compass should remain on the right rear landing gear no matter if it doesn't go down as far as it did on the original gear.

You need to calibrate the sticks and X1 (if you are using a camera) in both R/C controller and the P2's assistant software.
Maybe you should read the User's Manual before continuing as there is allot of information you'll need.

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/phantom_2/en/PHANTOM2_User_Manual_v1.4_en.pdf

View attachment 61710

Many thanks Jason,
Originally I found the compass not where you say (on the right rear landing gear) but at front left side of the camera Lens... as you can see from attached image of my drone.
Anyway,, just to understand, I'd like to know which cable are these ones I showed in the second attached images here :
hostare immagini

Another problem is about the gimbal: it moves not fastly and in all directions as showed in many "drone start set up" tutorials we can see on line, after a correct drone set up. It instead turns (pan) just a little; it turns better in tilt, but no completely... it this problem related to Compass error?

Al least, I the most **** problem right now for me is ...
I wanted to open the cover 's drone to see inside if every cable link was right, but I stripped two of the four screws (or were already stripped, seen that the drone is used, even if in good conditions).
So, I cannot unscrew the two ******* stripped screws! Please HELP!

Many thanks Jason,
Originally I found the compass not where you say (on the right rear landing gear) but at front left side of the camera Lens... as you can see from attached image of my drone.
Anyway,, just to understand, I'd like to know which cable are these ones I showed in the second attached images here :
hostare immagini

Another problem is about the gimbal: it moves not fastly and in all directions as showed in many "drone start set up" tutorials we can see on line, after a correct drone set up. It instead turns (pan) just a little; it turns better in tilt, but no completely... it this problem related to Compass error?

Al least, I the most **** problem right now for me is ...
I wanted to open the cover 's drone to see inside if every cable link was right, but I stripped two of the four screws (or were already stripped, seen that the drone is used, even if in good conditions).
So, I cannot unscrew the two ******* stripped screws! Please HELP!

I can understand your frustration but there is no need for the foul language.

Now I've taken your photo and made some notations on it.

The compass wire is a 5 pin cable and I doubt that you will find one that is longer then the stock cable so place it on the landing gear where I marked it.

There are only 3 allen and 1 philip screws per arm holds the shell together. So if you stripped some of the allen screws you just have to drill them out which isn't going to be easy and if you damage the shell you will have to replace it.

Don't worry about the compass not being in the exact position near the bottom of the landing gear as long as it is facing in the same direction as the original.

Now for the compass error there are two possibilities. One would be that the compass has been magnetized or the advanced IMU needs to be calibrated and of course the compass it has to be mounted on the right rear landing gear first.

Drone_setup_01.jpg

I can understand your frustration but there is no need for the foul language.
Sorry, Jason, but I'm very frustrated. I bought the Drone one month ago and I am still not able to make it work. Flying hours: 0 minutes flight: 0 ...

Now I've taken your photo and made some notations on it.

The compass wire is a 5 pin cable and I doubt that you will find one that is longer then the stock cable so place it on the landing gear where I marked it.
Sorry Jason, my the Compass cable is 4 pin flat cable, grey (as you can see in my photo)... anyway, I see photo where people replaced original Compass with a the new anti static Compass:

Amazon.com : DJI Second Generation Anti-Static Compass for Phantom 2 Vision+ Quadcopter : Camera & Photo

So, what confuse me is we have two cable for Compass: one, flat grey 4 pin cable (which is mine in the photo) and another Compass with rounded cable, with 5 pin...
Now, How can I place my original Compass with 4-pin socket with a five-pin cable socket?

Anyway, watching this video, I saw that the what I though I realized that what I thought it was the compass was not!
The pin flat cable, grey (as you can see in my photo)... in the iOSD mini socket!
And then, just now I think it is clear that in my Drone (bought used), there was NOT the Compass!
So I have to buy it...

There are only 3 allen and 1 philip screws per arm holds the shell together. So if you stripped some of the allen screws you just have to drill them out which isn't going to be easy and if you damage the shell you will have to replace it.
No, I stripped only two philip screws, so I hope there will be a solution...

Don't worry about the compass not being in the exact position near the bottom of the landing gear as long as it is facing in the same direction as the original.

Now for the compass error there are two possibilities. One would be that the compass has been magnetized or the advanced IMU needs to be calibrated and of course the compass it has to be mounted on the right rear landing gear first.

I Highlighter my replies, thanks again for you answers!

I Highlighter my replies, thanks again for you answers!

The Phantom 2 non-vision (which you have) came in two versions.

The first v1 came with this compass.
img_5632-jpg.61710

Version 2 came with the anti-static compass.
dji-phantom-2-compass-anti-static.jpg

Both compasses use a five wire cable. The cable attached to the front right leg is the Can-Bus which has a four connector.

With all the the allen screws and the four philips removed except the two stripped screws try lifting the shell as you attempt to remove those two screws. Other then that you can try to drilling them out or break the top shell and order a complete new shell. In other words there's no magic solution to removing stripped screws.

Okay Jason Now it's all clear!
But unfortunately remains issues for me: I placed the original compass on the longer landing gear. But it doesn't work...

Okay Jason Now it's all clear!
But unfortunately remains issues for me: I placed the original compass on the longer landing gear. But it doesn't work...

Until you are able to get inside the shell to see if the cable is even connected properly and do an advanced IMU calibration you'll continue to have a compass error. Here a copy a link to the User's manual take the time to read it.

****... Inside the Compass shell there is no Compass! :
upload

Now I have to buy a new one and install it on the longer landing gear...

****... Inside the Compass shell there is no Compass! :
upload

Now I have to buy a new one and install it on the longer landing gear...

Just put it back together and mount with tape to the on right rear landing gear as that is the compass and the rest of the electronics for it are on the main circuit board.

I already made it... I opened the shell just to control if the the cable was connected properly. But there is nothing to connect inside the shell compass ...!

I already made it... I opened the shell just to control if the the cable was connected properly. But there is nothing to connect inside the shell compass ...!

This is what P2 looks like inside the shell as I have install the mini iOSD right next to the Naza module and the anti-interference board on the other side. I also marked out where the compass is connected along with the GPS module (which is in the top half of the shell). Now I have no idea of what you think the compass should look like but but you had it disassembled in the photo you posted.

I sent you a link for the User's Manual have you taken the time to read any of it??

IMG_0839.jpg

Here is a video on how to do an advanced IMU calibration this necessary after you mount the compass and connect to it's socket also reconnect the GPS before doing the IMU cal.

It doesn't matter if this video was for P2 vision+ as it's the same for the entire P2 line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20