Phantom 1 question.....lifting off

ElGuano said:
Monte55 said:
I don't quite understand your first sentence. Why would you not be in the air for long?

Putting details aside (endpoints, gains, etc.), manual mode requests linear throttle. 100% throttle on manual is spinning your motors as fast as they'll go for the given voltage provided. That's the full 600-800g/axis. If you needed that much thrust to take off, you have nothing left to maneuver or maintain attitude/altitude (slowing down any of the motors to turn or move would cause you to drop).
Gotcha...thanks. But 100% can get you up faster and out of turbulent air at ground level . You could probably have the quad sitting at 30 degree tilt at takeoff and in manual still shoot up ok. At that angle and slow spool up, it just wants to tip over.

The Editor said:
Monte55 said:
I might add that manual liftoff does not take full throttle at all. If I had it at full throttle at liftoff and manual, it would shoot up like a rocket and be a few hundred feet up before you know it. I wish they had a separate switch for failsafe.

See my post above..... Manual gives you linear throttle and will take off circa 50% (depending on AUW of your craft) whereas half stick in GPS or Atti DOES NOT equate to half/50% throttle... It is whatever the FC wants to give the motors given any set of parameters. Do not confuse GPS or Atti mode with actual 'connected' flying.... you are merely giving the FC an input (in this case throttle) which it then decides what to do with dependent on it's programming.

Altering idle mode will have nothing to do with how your Phantom takes off - It is there to alter the speed at which the motors will sit at idle at to overcome inertial forces from different weight/size/pitch props (and in some cases can overcome timing sync issues between esc's and motors).
Thanks for the explanation. I only changed the idle thing because someone suggested it earlier. It's going back to Recommended.

lake_flyer said:
I don't really mind the differences between various modes.
I mind the difference with yesterday! How come the flight controller behaves differently as of now?

I never found the solution for my FC40 and I doubt I ever will for my P2.
I don't quite understand your post. What problems are you having?

Just like I say.

The day before my P2 lifts off normally, after applying throttle it just takes off. But since the next day it has to spool up and it takes about 2,5 seconds to have enough power to lift off (full throttle), read my other posts in this thread, I'm repeating myself.
My FC40 also developed that behaviour after a few hundred flights. My P2 is a few months younger and now it does the same.

Had a chance to do a video of my Phantom taking off. First two takeoffs are in GPS mode and cramming the throttle up. Notice the wobble. I did have to correct a bit with right stick. There is a delay but you can't see it from the time I UP throttle to the time it wants to take off. The rest of takeoffs are done in manual mode with no correction. It just takes off without delay. There was a breeze from my left
. http://youtu.be/3nBYGIRx_pw

:?
I don't know if it's the prop guards or what. My P2s blast off if I hit full throttle. I'm guessing 20' minimum if I immediately go to neutral after full up. This makes me want to make a video. Dang rain!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub