Phantom 1 original upgrade questions

Reaction score
Hey guys! I want to upgrade my motors for better flight time, do u guys suggest I get the p2 stock motors so i can use the selftightening option or get the t-motors so i can use the high performance motors?

Also, where in the case or body can I cut weight? What can I cut away to improve gas mileage? :)

Thanks guys!
kyle

Hi Kyle! One thing that would help is to know exactly which version of the P1 you have. If you've bought it in the past 6 months it's probably a 1.1.1, but it'll be good to confirm that (it's printed on the sticker on the box and the one on the bottom of the Phantom itself).

To be honest, adding the tmotors or any other model that fits on a Phantom isn't really going to net you any significant increase in flight time...but that doesn't mean there's no reason to do it either. I have the tmotors on mine right now and while there is a slight bump in efficiency it really hasn't translated into a noticeable increase in how long I can stay in the air.

You best bets are to focus on weight (as you are obviously aware of), and components that can augment your flight time, such as the 9443 blades that come stock on a P2, as well as a bigger battery (2700-2800mAh).

Note: if your Phantom is a 1.1.1 then you should already have the motors with the CW+CCW threads which will allow you to use the self-tightening P2 props. However, if you have an older version without the cross-threaded motors, DJI does make a version of that same prop that isn't self-tightening. The easy way to tell is to check the prop nuts that came with your Phantom...if they're all the same color then your motors aren't cross threaded, but if two are silver and two are black then you are all set for the self-tightening version of the props.

OI Photography said:
Hi Kyle! One thing that would help is to know exactly which version of the P1 you have. If you've bought it in the past 6 months it's probably a 1.1.1, but it'll be good to confirm that (it's printed on the sticker on the box and the one on the bottom of the Phantom itself).

To be honest, adding the tmotors or any other model that fits on a Phantom isn't really going to net you any significant increase in flight time...but that doesn't mean there's no reason to do it either. I have the tmotors on mine right now and while there is a slight bump in efficiency it really hasn't translated into a noticeable increase in how long I can stay in the air.

You best bets are to focus on weight (as you are obviously aware of), and components that can augment your flight time, such as the 9443 blades that come stock on a P2, as well as a bigger battery (2700-2800mAh).

Note: if your Phantom is a 1.1.1 then you should already have the motors with the CW+CCW threads which will allow you to use the self-tightening P2 props. However, if you have an older version without the cross-threaded motors, DJI does make a version of that same prop that isn't self-tightening. The easy way to tell is to check the prop nuts that came with your Phantom...if they're all the same color then your motors aren't cross threaded, but if two are silver and two are black then you are all set for the self-tightening version of the props.

thank you for such a great response! But ya, I do for sure have the original v1 phantom with the motors that are all threaded the same direction. I would like to invest in the p2 props that are made for the non self tightening motors, would u happen to know a part number? Also, where could I cut down weight? I have a gimbal and fpv and osd installed so this thing is getting a little heavy.

Thanks again!
kyle

No problem! Here's one place you can find the non-self-tightening version of the P2 props: http://1uas.com/DJI-Propeller-9-White-P ... ch=phantom props

I'm not the right person to ask about shaving weight, I totally suck at that part lol. If you're comfortable with soldering and tinkering inside the shell, there are a number of things you can do such as replacing some of the wiring with lighter cables, and removing the case(s) from things like the iOSD mini. I'm afraid I can't give you much insight beyond that on how to trim down a stock Phantom.

OI Photography said:
No problem! Here's one place you can find the non-self-tightening version of the P2 props: http://1uas.com/DJI-Propeller-9-White-P ... ch=phantom props

I'm not the right person to ask about shaving weight, I totally suck at that part lol. If you're comfortable with soldering and tinkering inside the shell, there are a number of things you can do such as replacing some of the wiring with lighter cables, and removing the case(s) from things like the iOSD mini. I'm afraid I can't give you much insight beyond that on how to trim down a stock Phantom.

thank you very much sir! I will get those ordered and I'll just have to dig around and see where I can lose some weight. That is a good idea to take some things out of their cases. I might have to do that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik