Phantom 1 GPS and Compass Calibration + Fitting Propellers

Reaction score
On my transmitter the instructions tell me to quickly switch the control switch from ATTI mode to GPS ATTI for 6-10 times. There are [2] ATTI positions: middle and bottom. So I quickly switched from top GPS to bottom ATTI and the LED turned yellow. When I rotated the craft repeatedly horizontal, 360 degrees, the light never went to green - stayed yellow, so I couldn't go beyond that point.

Also, the instructions for fitting the propellers are confusing. The schematic shows separate nuts from the propellers, but on mine, they're fixed black or white, into the plastic. It tells me to make sure the rotary mark on the propeller is the same as the mark on the frame arm... but there are TWO arrows on the propeller... going in opposite directions: one with a lock icon and one with the lock open. I assummed the lock icon means it's the way to get the propeller ONTO the screw. So, I did that and it seemed to work. I assume the opposite arrow is to match the motion of the motors, which it does after I secured the propellers. Did I do it right?

Make sure that the switch is in the GPS position after switching it up and down for the calibration. If it is in the atti position it will stay yellow. The schematic you were looking at is probably outdated and for the original P1. The black capped props go on CCW and the silver capped props go on CW.

Thank you. I actually ended up with the switch at the top GPS position, so I don't think it's that, but perhaps because I did the horizontal turn, many times, instead of once, is the problem.

Re: CCW and CW.... I checked the SPECS online for the Phantom1 and couldn't find that listed. Are they two types of Phantom1's?

Thank you. I actually ended up with the switch at the top GPS position, so I don't think it's that, but perhaps because I did the horizontal turn, many times, instead of once, is the problem.

Re: CCW and CW.... I checked the SPECS online for the Phantom1 and couldn't find that listed. Are they two types of Phantom1's?

Counter Clock Wise
Clock Wise

Google "ccw cw"

Oh, right... but the reason I'm confused about this arrow thing is - clockwise to lock? or clockwise the direction the blade will rotate when in flight. Each propeller has arrows going both ways: the closed lock icon arrow, is for screwing the propeller in place... and the unlocked icon applies to the opposite direction, which is the direction the blade will be rotating when in flight {?} So... black or silver tipped propellers, as long as the propeller screws into place, and the opposite arrow corresponds to the arrow on the craft extension... does it matter whether I'm using the black or silvers?

The black will only fit on two motors and the silver will only fit on the other two. I never paid attention to the arrows.

You're welcome Jim. After you put them on and take them off a few times you'll remember where they go. And yes, there has been three versions of P1, P1.2 and P1.1.1, with P1.1.1 being the most recent.

You're welcome Jim. After you put them on and take them off a few times you'll remember where they go. And yes, there has been three versions of P1, P1.2 and P1.1.1, with P1.1.1 being the most recent.

Hey Woody,

Isn't it odd a P1.2 precedes a P1.1.1?

Yes it is odd, just like the S1 switch on the right side.

Touche'

Reactions: dirkclod
I tried to fly my P1 for the 1st time again... the 4th time. I turned on the transmitter, plugged in the battery and watched the lights go - red, green, orange, green, orange and in about 2 minutes it stopped on orange. I know you can't fly unless it's green. I tried unplugging and plugging the battery in, the transmitter on and off and it still ended up orange.

Perhaps this may help:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for sending this. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't get to green - it stays on orange. I contacted dji but they gave me the manual download for the Vision 2. I assume NYC is a no-drone area - all of West Hollywood and Beverly Hills prohibits drones. Where do you fly yours.

Have you tried plugging the Phantom into a computer and running the Assistant software? It will often tell you if something is wrong.
You should also check the listing of components under the "Upgrade" tab and make sure you see the GPS and main controller.

I've only been fixing drones lately, and flying indoor smaller ones. I may take a Phantom with me when I visit friends in wide open spaces.

He Jim,
Can we confirm a few things?

You have a Phantom P1.
You have read and understood the manual, sooner or later it makes sense.
You have connected to the computer and have run the NAZA Assistant.
You are trying to start the Phantom outside.
There are no electrical wires underground or in close proximity.
You still have not flown.

Thanks.

Only the FAA may regulate or restrict flight by NOTAM or TFR. No local municipality or state or sporting venue may legally self-declare their area as a "no drone" zone. They may, however, prevent takeoff and landing from property they have jurisdiction over.

Local ordinances often ignore federal authority, usually from ignorance. Only the FAA can regulate flight. You can take off from private property, with permission, and fly over any LA park and return to land without violating any rules. Your local Mr Ranger, however, is clueless about FAA jurisdiction once the aircraft leaves the ground.

Unfortunately, local ordinances are defended by equally uninformed prosecutors until proven otherwise, which can be expensive.

I know you believe your statements to be true and accurate and I appreciate your efforts to contribute, but with respect, are you a lawyer with legal knowledge or simply a hobbyist that thinks they know the law? It sounds like the latter to me.

I am not a lawyer, but here is what an aviation lawyer has to say:
"State and local governments have considered legislation that purports to regulate drone flight, but if challenged in court, any such laws would be considered preempted by the federal government's intent to "occupy the field," and therefore be invalid. By federal statute, "[t]he United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States" (49 U.S. Code § 40103(a)(1)). The passage of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, (Senate Bill, Section 607(g)) confirms the federal government's intent to continue to "occupy the field" of flight, thereby invalidating (through preemption) any state or local laws that purport to regulate it.

State and local governments may, however, regulate two things related to flight:

They may regulate their own agencies' drone flight operations; and
They may regulate the locations from which drones may be launched or landed, except in an emergency.

That's it. State and local governments cannot regulate drones in any other manner. They can of course use laws of general applicability (such as voyeurism or nuisance) that would apply equally to a drone if a drone happened to be the object used to violate that law, but they would be essentially meaningless since existing statutes would already cover those crimes regardless of whether they were committed with a drone. And by exclusion, such laws could inadvertently make the activity legal by other means."​

Thanks for directing us so far OFF TOPIC folks. :confused:

Gps, compass calibration and props was the subject. Just in case you were wondering. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.