Phantom 1 gimbal suggestion

Reaction score
I picked up a new (purchased in 2013 but never flown) Phantom 1 last week. I've had it out a couple of times and have attached my GoPro via the generic GoPro mount directly on the Phantom.

I want a gimbal. What are you recommendations for a gimbal that is compatible with the Phantom 1?

Thanks in advance!

Jud

I have the P1 also. Actually two of them. I wanted a simple gimble. I ended up with the 2 axis
Walkera G2d. It can be had for about $70 on Amazon. It's the lightweight plastic one. It is self contained. Just add power. You can use the P1 power or use a separate small battery to power it. I use a separate 7.4 v 850 ma lipo from one of my small quads. I didn't connect the pitch control. The gimble doesn't have to be programed for simple use. To adjust angle, it comes with a small plastic screwdriver to adjust camera angle. Very simple. It does not need to be connected to quad at all. Sure has made my videos look better. a

so I'm gonna show my stupidity here ... but if you have a gimbal without the pitch control and just did the power setup like you suggested, does it still stay level when the Phantom isn't? not sure I am asking that correctly ...

The gimble has its own gyro. It will work in your hand also, just power it. It stays level while the quad pitches back and forth. Have your quad level at power up of gimble. It then wants to maintain that position. The pitch control is only to change camera during flight which I don't care about now. There are two pots to adjust. One will level camera side to side and the other changes the angle the camera is looking....down, level, or anything in between.

You can also connect the gimble to the inside of quad so you can move the camera with the pitch control on your transmitter if it has one. I haven't done that.

awesome, thanks so much! any tips/how to's on how you used an external battery? what kind of connection do you have so that you can remove it to charge, etc?

The gimble comes with a couple of wires. One plugs into the gimble and has a JST connector hanging from it. The small battery I use also has the JST connector and plugs right in. Very common connector. I rubber band the battery to the rear of the gimble mount. If you get the Walkera G2D gimble, you will want to reverse the top mounting plate 180 degrees. This sets the camera back enough so it doesn't interfere with the quad's battery door. All very simple. Many videos on youtube.

The reason to get the plastic one is that it is lighter than the metal and doesn't rob you of flight time so much.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another thing to consider is the gimble lets the camera hang lower and it may touch the ground with the stock legs. . Some buy longer landing legs but that is not necessary. If you look through my posts in April I think, I have pics of how I made 4 pieces out of pvc water pipe that snap on to stock gear to give you the needed ground clearance. I pop them off when putting the Phantom into its case.

+1 for the Walkera.

I flew it for a while without the pitch control. It works fine that way. You can adjust the pitch before you take off and then just fly away. Amazing how good the picture is.

Then, I attached the pitch control. My controller had the lever built in. Everything changed. I could do things that I never did before. The videos are much better now.

I hope you P1 folks are taking a look at what goes on in the FC40 forums. It's the same bird with a different control frequency.

Any gimbal that will work on the FC40 will work on a P1.

Here is something for all of you to hang on to. It works well, please try it and pass it on.
This will help you find things here. It's Google Custom Search for just our forum.
Enter your text in the middle of the page, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Enjoy the show... :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers