Phantom 1 FPV Setup With Long Flight Times

Reaction score
I have a few Phantoms and wanted to make one of them and convert it to just FPV so I played around with a number of things. Today I think I have my perfect setup which is giving me 15 minutes of flight time. I made a little video showing what I did and explained it more below the video http://youtu.be/i1eIOsSqM9s but what really made it possible other than changing to the Phantom 2 Props was the battery from SMC racing. They have been a leader in this technology for decades and recently contacted them for another multirotor from 3drobotics the Iris. so while I was testing it on that, I thought about what you will see in the video. This company will not sell a battery till it meets their standards and trust me I believe it from the results. They will do really well with the Multi-rotors once they have time to adapt things. Still take a look and you can see what I have done. Hope this helps others that want to do the same things.

Grandpa Jake

Thank you for posting a video of your set up. My main focus with my Phantom is FPV, so it's always interesting to see how other people set theirs up.

I have 2 thoughts on your set up. The first is that your camera seems to be glued in place. I think that must be as a consequence of have the battery taking all the "undercarriage" space so maybe you didn't have a choice there. But I like to be able to move my camera (change angle) depending upon what I am doing. At the moment I am doing more "fast" flying so I need my camera to almost point up a little. I also have a Fatshark FPV camera, but my came with a small bracket mount that I could screw into my phantom, that allows me to change the angle easily.

The second is that you use a battery meter. Did you consider fitting an OSD? It's one of my favourite upgrades for FPV. To be able to see my battery voltage at all times really changes how I fly and makes it a lot more enjoyable.

Anyway, found your video very interesting and it's given me food for thought.

You have also given me some thought. It is hot glued with a little buffering at the top. I don't get jello effect so I left it alone, but maybe setting it up in a way to move the angle and tilt would be nice! Thanks, as for the OSD I bought that for my phantom 2 which I had to return because the gimbal was defective, but for the short time I had it on it was FANTASTIC. what is involved with installing it on the Phantom 1 I would defiantly consider that over the loud buzzer, Still I wont remove it till I upgrade. So let me know your thoughts on that as I was unaware I could install that on my Phantom 1

take care

15 minutes..wow. Nice setup! I love the idea of the battery mounted center of gravity below chassis. Keeps battery cool as well. The only problem I foresee is your fpv tx. I think your going to have heat issues rather promptly...especially if it's immersion or fatshark. Be interesting to see longevity or how you tweak in near future. Bottom line...nicely done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a little concerned about that and was hoping some of the vents, I will keep you posted, but that thought had crossed my mind and I did leave some space on all sides so it was not pressing up against the circuit. And the center of gravity is really nice this way, lifts straight up and the battery is very cool after the flight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20