PHANTOM 1 CRASHES WHEN DESCENDING

Reaction score
My phantom 1 crashes when descending. I upgraded to tarot gimbal and gopro camera I also have dual batteries installed. Do I have to change any settings in Naza software?

1. What batteries and how do you have them mounted?

2. What props?

3. Prop guards?

4. Total flight weight?

All of those factors can come in to play here, but the most important thing is to not descend too fast because, as you've seen, that can cause instability and eventually a crash.

2 original phantom batteries i have them mount on side with carbon fiber mounts
original 8" props
phantom 2 prop guards
i don't know weight i am going to weight it later today
when i remove extra battery flies perfect

You're starting to ask a little too much from the P1 with the original props and the propguards installed, with the weight of dual batts and the way you have them mounted. All of those are working against your flight time and stability in descent.

To start, I would highly suggest using the 9.4" P2 props instead, there's a self-tightening version and and non-self-tightening version to choose from depending on whether your P1 motors are cross-threaded. You might even want to consider the new version of those props, the 9450's, which have just a touch more lift at the cost of a tiny bit of flight time. Those will help even more with avoiding the aerodynamic state you fell victim to, known as Vortex Ring State (VRS), or Settling With Power. In short, come down too fast in a helicopter or multirotor and you end up fighting your own prop wash...and eventually losing.

Ditching the prop guards will help too once you're ready, since they also rob you of a bit of lift and stability when descending. Just be sure not to use the prop guard screws again when you remove them, they're longer than the stock motor screws and will damage (kill) your motors.

Also, you'll probably get more mileage out of a larger single internal battery than mounting the two stock batteries on the sides like that. That mounting scheme also interferes with your props' output and mess with your center of gravity as well, making it harder for the NAZA and you to keep stable.

If it happens again, full left or right stick to get you out of the turbulent air and apply throttle only after you have stabilised the descent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.