Phantom 1.1.1 with P2V props - Gain adjustment?

I have returned from another flight test. It started out with winds about 5mph, but then they dropped to calm. It was cloudy, cold(51 degree's F), and looked like it might rain.

First, I set Basic P/R together on X1, put with the knob all the way to the right, so 230 was max. I hovered about 10 to 15 feet up, and just watched, as I turned the knob...when it got down below 100%, it started to wobble...turning it up seem to make it better...but, at around 230%, it was a bit too sensitive, so I backed it down a hair to 220%-and now it doesn't wobble.

However-I need to test that in a wind(I had wind yesterday-and I think with the bigger props, the aircraft responds much more quickly to course corrections and drift in a wind-which may make it look like it's wobbling).

I then went through the vertical again, and really couldn't tell any difference between 115% and 90%.....anywhere I twisted the knob, was fine. But, in the lower range, it was lazy to go up and down, so I settled on 100% and called it good.

Last was yaw-again, I set the knob to max to the right at 230, and slowly turned it down, while yawing, and watching the camera on the monitor as well as the aircraft. I settled in at 175%, as that seemed the smoothest, and not quite as "twitchy" on the start/stop of the yaw moment as 230% was.

Then, I put a stock battery in, and went flying. The aircraft handled well. It was not overly sensitive at all, and responded well in all flight conditions and directions. It even flew faster, at a given pitch angle, than with the regular props-no surprise there. I got it up to 13m/sec, with only about 45% throttle, and I think about 12 degree's nose down....then, I just released the stick and the aircraft smoothly slowed to a hover-no wobble.
Went up to 100 feet, and slowly came down in forward flight-no surprises. I even did a "switch-back", where I was flying sideways quickly, then switched back to the other direction-this required a bit of extra throttle, and I moved it slightly forward to avoid the downwash, but it worked well.

Now-my big problem, still; is the dam rubber balls in the Zenmouse!!! I keep getting bouncing!!! It seemed to get better with the gray balls, before, with the stock props(temps around 50 degree's F and above).....but now, I just don't know what to do.
I have the white ones-they're the softest...

I may have to go back too the black ones....but, even then, I had some bouncing and jiggling at random points on a flight.
This gimbal does an excellent job of maintaining the camera level with the horizon-no issues there. But, it's dampening is non-existent. I'm almost to the point now, where I'm thinking of chucking the Zenmouse, and going with another gimbal.
And, I have the Original Zenmouse, with the Phantom 1.0 mount. Looks like they changed the mount/balls slightly for the Phantom 2.
But, that's OT....sorry, but it's driving me crazy!!!

My point here is this; each aircraft will behave differently. You must dial in your own gain settings using your tilt lever, or an extra channel on your remote(change to X1 or X2). Testing requires patience, and no wind. The aircraft is not more peppy, in my experience. And, if it wasn't for the wobble, would fly just fine with stock settings. So, "you're mileage may vary", applies here.
My experience has been, that even big changes in the gain-showed little change in aircraft behavior-with the exception of Basic P/R. Once you adjust a gain value-you have to wait, and watch. Fly the aircraft a bit, then stop, and see how it behaves.

Also-save your "default" settings in Naza-m software, before you change your 8" props. When you're done dialing in your Vision props-save that default file, and name if Vision Props, or whatever you want. This way-you can switch out props, and then just load the default file into Naza, and go fly.

I have a few questions, for those that have the Real, Self-Tightening, DJI Vision props, w/nuts.
It appears from the video's that these just screw on....but, do they screw down far enough, to engage the square "notch" on the engine?
How easy is it to get a wrench on these nuts, and do they turn independently of the props, or are they molded in?

How close are they to being balanced?
I've seen a video or two on balancing them-but is there another way to do it, with the Top Flite balancer I have now?

Black nuts engines are CW? So, front left, and right rear, are black nuts?

Big Battery door comes in Today-then more flying Tomorrow(wind too high right now).

They do screw all the way down on the T-motors, which do have the same notch (key) at the base of the shaft:

2mQ9IDkl.jpg

DKXjdGtl.jpg

And this is where the black/silver ones go in relation to the Phantom:

MdPjwnLl.jpg

The nuts are integrated into the top of the prop, no need for a wrench.

The set I got was fairly balanced, but I honestly haven't bothered to correct them. I get a slight wiggle in flight and an occasional shudder in video that may be attributable to that.

Well, I guess it's time to change motors.
Don't ever use a crescent wrench to tighten your motors!!! This was on a self-tightening direction motor, and as you can see, I went a little too far. And, it's a good thing it broke off. It was probably getting ready to let go in flight due to metal fatigue.
So, I'm down for about a week, I would guess, while I have "new" motors installed. Going to replace all 4, this time they will be all self-tightening.
Now, if I could just find somewhere to buy the dam black nuts!!! Everywhere I've looked, has the black, reverse thread nuts, out of stock!!! OH, and a set of Genuine DJI Vision props ;)

Attachments

• SNC15180.JPG
    SNC15180.JPG
    363.5 KB · Views: 552
mediaguru said:
How much of this gain adjustment conversation is relevant to the weight of the bird? Mine is pretty heavy at a tad under 3 pounds.
In my experience, a lot. Mine is 2.7lbs....and when I tried the stock gains-it wobbled around. I found the aircraft more stable with the higher p/r gains, and yaw gains as well.
However-I'm going to try lowering my Attitude gain(at 100 now), to try and get rid of some of the bouncing I was experiencing, even before I went with the bigger props.

BUT-my Phantom is on the way to the Drone Emergency Room(Dronefly in California), for engine replacements, and I won't have it back til the end of the week.
But then, I will have SELF-TIGHTENING engines/props!!! So, no more chance of stripping threads, or stretching the threads due to me over-tightening them!!! I'm pretty sure my original engine(s) may have contributed to the shaking in my video.
Guess I'll find out when my "little phantom that could", returns.

mediaguru said:
How much of this gain adjustment conversation is relevant to the weight of the bird? Mine is pretty heavy at a tad under 3 pounds.
the heavier the phantom, the more it may need the fc to react faster and more aggressively to changes. Think of a 300lb guy ice skating; if he wants to change direction, he needs to put in more input, earlier.

havasuphoto tell me more about the bouncing you encountered.

My last flight, in some mild wind, I found the bird was having a hard time hovering and would sort of jerk once per second or two.

mediaguru said:

My last flight, in some mild wind, I found the bird was having a hard time hovering and would sort of jerk once per second or two.
Yea-that.......same thing.
But, I don't know if it was because I had an engine getting ready to let go, or not. Supposedly, if you lower your Attitude setting, to around 70 or 80, it helps.
But, haven't had a chance to test anything yet.
I did try putting foam ear plugs into my black rubber dampers(ZEN)-but, I only had 2 flights on that set up before the prop thread shaft broke. So, it may be, after replacing the engines, that it's gone.

havasuphoto said:
mediaguru said:

Yea-that.......same thing.
But, I don't know if it was because I had an engine getting ready to let go, or not. Supposedly, if you lower your Attitude setting, to around 70 or 80, it helps.
But, haven't had a chance to test anything yet.
I did try putting foam ear plugs into my black rubber dampers(ZEN)-but, I only had 2 flights on that set up before the prop thread shaft broke. So, it may be, after replacing the engines, that it's gone.

Hmm.. Ok cool thanks for the response. Still a moderate wind when I flew today. Not the jerky our bouncing issues this time, but seemingly more drift, in altitude and horizontal position.

Catch me up a bit-I'm slow. You're using the Zen?? Are you also using the Vision props?

Keep in mind, I only have about 10 flights total on them.....and 7 of those were just for tuning the gains. So really, only 3 total flights with any distance looking at stability.
However, I've had issues with the Zen from day 1. Some of it relates to the flight condition...if you're very stable, the footage tends to be that way too. However, you can't see turbulence. And, when it hits the aircraft, it can bounce up and down, beyond the limits of the ability of the rubber balls to absorb it.

The Zen does a very good job of holding the camera "still" relative to the aircraft movement. However, it's never going to give you pixel level stability. You will almost always need to use post-stabilization. That disappoints me a bit.

IF, I discover anything different in my set-up when it returns from the ER, I'll post it up. Like I said-I may have had a bad motor from the beginning.....but, I do see the same "tics" in other Phantom video...so maybe not?

havasuphoto said:
Catch me up a bit-I'm slow. You're using the Zen?? Are you also using the Vision props?

My rig is a P1.2 with vision props. I'm using an Arris CM3000 3-axis gimbal and going back and forth between the Arris large extended landing gear platform (which ads quite a bit of weight), and a rigged up version where I use clip on feet to extend the landing gear and a smaller mount.

The most stability I've had has been with the full landing gear platform pictured:

IMG_1459.jpg

But I did have decent luck and just a few wobbles with this setup:

DSC_1639-678x1024.jpg

I'm still waiting for the wind to die down and conditions to improve enough to do more testing, and also test using an ND filter. The wind has made me wonder if my gains are wrong as it has been a bit jerky and drifting more than I think it should, both horizontally and vertically. Will know better when I can launch it in no wind.

Cool...I remember now; the CM3000, I've been following those threads, as I was interested in that Gimbal.
But-until I can get my Zen dialed in, there's no point in upgrading. I really don't have any problem maintaining a stable yaw axis....but that's flying in no wind.
I did discover that when I was first dialing in my gains, the wind was about 10mph, and the aircraft would wobble to hold position. I've since re-done the gains, and reduced them a bit, and it doesn't wobble nearly as much.

But, I'm wondering if your bounce or wiggle may be Gimbal related? Hard to know unless it absolutely windless, and you're just holding a hover....ideally, nothing should move. But, sometimes mine decides it needs to "check up", and twitches just a bit. Pisses me off, because that part of the footage is ruined, or, it all has to be post processed for stability.

You may have much better luck shooting with an ND filter at 24P-it may help hide any imperfections in the video. But, that will require you to rebalance the gimbal a bit for the added weight. That should be a problem in the software you have.\

Something else I thought about-what if the longer landing gear is giving you a harmonic vibration? It's all frequency related, and it could resonate at just the right frequency that the props are spinning, and that will translate back into the frame of the aircraft-and no gibmal is going to be able to compensate. Kinda why the rubber balls are there....but maybe it exceeds their limits?

I'm really digging the 3rd axis. Makes a big difference.

You may have a point with the length of the gear. The bigger/longer landing gear setup was more stable. I went to the shorter gear to reduce the weight and hopefully increase flight time, which it did do. I was in the air 6 minutes with a 2200 lipo.

I suppose I will have to test the setups in optimal conditions (no wind) to be sure. I do have a family room with about a 30 foot ceiling. I could launch indoors I suppose. I'd need to make sure my 1-year old is not around. Wouldn't want the bird to crash into him.

Are you using the Vision props yet?
Also-I'm using the Maddog 2700mah batteries. The props gave me 2 minutes more flight time, and the batteries, another 2 minutes, or so, on top of that.
So, on my 1 test with the Maddog battery, I got around 10 minutes of flight time, at 2.8lbs.
I do recommend the Big Battery door from Shapeways. it's spendy-but very easy to install. And, you can face the battery leads forward, just twist them a bit, and the door closes right up.

havasuphoto said:
Also-I'm using the Maddog 2700mah batteries. The props gave me 2 minutes more flight time, and the batteries, another 2 minutes, or so, on top of that.
So, on my 1 test with the Maddog battery, I got around 10 minutes of flight time, at 2.8lbs.
I do recommend the Big Battery door from Shapeways. it's spendy-but very easy to install. And, you can face the battery leads forward, just twist them a bit, and the door closes right up.

Yup I'm using vision props. Correct on them adding flight time. I went from 4 minutes takeoff to landing to 6 minutes.

I have two Maddog 2700's. I'm a bit concerned about having the weight of the battery farther forward, with the camera somewhat on the front as well. I think the phantom's CG is going to be off. Thoughts on that?

I think you're correct-your CG may be too far forward. And, in high speed forward flight, it's possible it could flip.
How much more time do you get with 2 batteries Vs. 1?

mediaguru said:
havasuphoto said:

Yup I'm using vision props. Correct on them adding flight time. I went from 4 minutes takeoff to landing to 6 minutes.

I have two Maddog 2700's. I'm a bit concerned about having the weight of the battery farther forward, with the camera somewhat on the front as well. I think the phantom's CG is going to be off. Thoughts on that?

If you're talking about using the big battery door as havasu described, I think your CG might actually be better off that way, since it allows you to insert the battery butt-end first and just have the cables hanging out (to be covered by the door). Otherwise, you'd need to stick the maddog in cables-first, which will cause more of the mass of the batt to stick out of the opening.

Or, I could just be confused on what he was suggesting lol (quite possible!)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj