Phantom 1.1.1 ver 4.00

Reaction score
If I fly until battery is so low...will it go into RTH mode where it gains altitude and heads for home or will it just land where it is. I have never even tried RTH. My S1 is gps...atti...manual.

The P1's only have auto-land when the battery level reaches your set voltage levels. DJI has added RTH for low batt to the P2 firmware, but for the rest of us it's just the same as always. You can test it the next time you're close to ending your flight, just let it hover for a min till it hits the voltage warning level.

So if I'm not paying attention to the battery warning, which I always do, it will just decend and land? I'm really am too chicken to test . Does it automatically shut down rotors upon landing?
thanks for your reply

I tend to find that it drops rather than lands! The only couple of times it went to the second warning were where it it was already quite near the ground and it just lost height quickly and landed fairly hard on the field I was flying from. It would have been useful if DJI had a flashing red for the first warning and a steady red for the second. So you could tell how near to landing it might be. But nowadays I always fly back while it is still green with just the odd red flash on throttle up.

If you see it starting to descend you can more or less stop it by throttling up, and still move sideways to bring it closer.
I find you only have a minute or so extra like this though.
It becomes more of a concern as batteries slowly decline and you are not quite sure how long you have left!
After your bit of extra time is up it will come down and hard too.
At first flash of red on that LED you soon want it close at hand.

That's pretty much it. The LED starts flashing when you hit the first level warning voltage, and then it just starts to descend when it hits the second level. The descent isn't slow but it's not super-fast either, it seems to be the same speed as it descends when doing a full RTH. Once you've seen it happen a time or two you'll be prepared for it.

I'm not 100% sure on whether it shuts the motors down after a few seconds following auto-land for battery. It might, but I always kill the motors right away myself.

I've found that it does a pretty good job of making a smooth descent, the touchdown can be a little bouncy sometimes though. But when landing on the grass I often just let it bring itself down and settle on the ground and all I do is kill the motors after.

I have a fair idea of the flight time on my batteries. I have a timer stuck to my tx. When I am getting close to to the low battery even though I have not had a low battery warning yet, I'll goose the throttle and if I see red, start bringing it in. I am not going to risk the Phantom for 1 minute more flight

Nothing wrong with that, and really the only reason I use it all the time is for consistency in my testing data. If you don't have an FPV setup to add an OSD to, there are other ways you can get the battery voltage in real time...telemetry setups and such. But do whatever works best for you, it sounds like you're managing your batts just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.