Phantom 1.1.1 ....had a crash .... How do I do an IMU calibration pls?

Ok...when out flying more than 30 feet away from home point no matter the direction or the way the quad is facing, setting left switch to lowest position and pulling back on right stick will bring the quad back to home point. When it is about 30 feet away, it will automatically switch to course lock. So, it's important to remember the direction the quad was facing upon startup. Now, the default rth hight is about 60 feet. If you are out flying and out a ways and have to use FAILSAFE /RTH...it flies straight back to home point. If there is a tree line of 70 foot trees, it will fly into them. That 60 foot rth altitude is from the elevation of home point...not the ground it's over. You can reset home point while flying also. You can also reset the rth altitude. Here's how. Let's say you were walking and flying to another area. Hover the quad, flip left switch from middle position down to lowest position 5 times quickly ending up in middle position. Watch the led on bird. It should give you a quick set of green flashes if you did it correctly. This is your new home point. If you were 50 feet up, your home point is 50 up also. Now your 50 up and the default rth altitude is 60 feet above home point...so your new rth altitude is 110 feet.

Nice, sounds easy, will have to try it out, didn't know u had to pull back on rght stick to use HL, awesome info! Thanx for the help, i have an rc club nearby i might check with but they mostly fly planes and helicopters I'll have to see if they know much about drone's

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

When u turn around in a circle with the aircraft in hand to teach it where it is, i believe u do this anytime you go to a different location to fly by that i mean a different Town or someplace thats miles from your current location

Nice, sounds easy, will have to try it out, didn't know u had to pull back on rght stick to use HL, awesome info! Thanx for the help, i have an rc club nearby i might check with but they mostly fly planes and helicopters I'll have to see if they know much about drone's

Since so many are flying newer Phantoms with different features, it's kind of hard to get info on the P1. Many started with P2s P3s and P4s and know nothing about the P1. The P1 is a good bird without restrictions but doesn't have all the new stuff. I don't have to worry about smart battery crap with high prices or no fly zones.

Reactions: nintago
When u turn around in a circle with the aircraft in hand to teach it where it is, i believe u do this anytime you go to a different location to fly by that i mean a different Town or someplace thats miles from your current location

That is compass calibration

I am looking at maybe getting a p3 , but need more practice with the P1 so im comfortable with it before I dump more money into into the hobby:)

I am looking at maybe getting a p3 , but need more practice with the P1 so im comfortable with it before I dump more money into into the hobby:)

Before you upgrade, think of why. Is there something you want to do that the P1 won't. I just like to fly and do videos. I really don't care about the long range via watching a screen. Visual line of sight is becoming the law. So much for flying out 2 miles legally. Plus so many have problems with firmware upgrades etc. It can really get confusing. I started in RC building and flying planes. Nice ones. I never wanted to fly them miles away. If all my flying will be watching a screen, I can do video games much cheaper and no money lost if I crash. If I need to fly 2 miles away, I'll drive there. Everyone has a different need. Think of what you need and not just what's cool. Some just have to have the latest thing out there. That's ok. I don't care what they spend their money on.

Ahhh, yup you bring up good points there ,will have to put some thought into it,before i decide, Thanx for the advice:)

Quick question, i was flying with my GoPro and after about 10min. I had the increase the throttle a bit and it was more erratic going right and left is this normal as battery gets weaker? The light was still flashing green tho

Quick question, i was flying with my GoPro and after about 10min. I had the increase the throttle a bit and it was more erratic going right and left is this normal as battery gets weaker? The light was still flashing green tho

Id take the Go pro off and take her for a flight test and see what happens and make sure your voltage isn set at the right voltage in the software....

I just read this again. Don't confuse home lock with RTH/ failsafe.. Failsafe is initiated when signal is lost, you select it with the S1 bottom position(which you can't do if manual has been chosen in assistant software)..or you turn the transmitter off. In assistant software you can have failsafe return the bird to home point or just land. Your choice. Home lock and pulling back on right stick is used if you maybe lose sight of the bird and want to fly it back to home position no matter which way the bird is facing should you lose orientation .

Doing the compass calibration does not teach the bird where it is. It only helps the bird adjust for the magnetic fields it is operating in. Gps is what the bird sees as location. When you first connect battery and the led starts flashing...when you get the first long set of quick green flashes, it is recording course lock direction. That is why I said earlier to pay attention to the direction of quad at start up. If not and you select course lock and pull back on right stick, you will have no idea which way the bird will decide to fly. The second set of quick green flashes after the reds are gone is recording home point in horizontal and vertical.

Reactions: nintago
Yup, I've tested fail/safe by turning tx off , worked well first time, second time was a bit windy and it was having a tough time returning to home position, HL i haven't had luck with but I've been doing it wrong, with the explanation you posted i should have better luck, I'll give it a whirl this weekend weather permitting

Yup, I've tested fail/safe by turning tx off , worked well first time, second time was a bit windy and it was having a tough time returning to home position, HL i haven't had luck with but I've been doing it wrong, with the explanation you posted i should have better luck, I'll give it a whirl this weekend weather permitting

I've never even tested failsafe on any of my Phantoms. When and if I ever need it, I hope it works. To me it's a emergency thing only. Many say they use it as normal practice. ....and many crash into trees and buildings also because of poor planning. Learn to fly the bird. Make sure you understand everything. Use fully charged good batteries. Don't lose track of your time in the air. All three of mine have digital stopwatch on tx so I know when to bring it back. You will most likely never need failsafe. Be sure your tx batteries are always good and clean contacts. Be careful flying under things.....you may lose gps or signal. If you lose signal while under like tree limbs etc, it will go failsafe, zip straight up to RTH altitude and crash that way. Don't let objects come between the bird and tx like tree lines and buildings. Most crashes are the pilots fault.

Lol, yes planning is key , i work for utc aerospace as a cnc machinist, so all too well aware:) ive crashed machines due to poor planning , and failsafe was something I wanted to try just because i like the digital timer on the tx idea tho ill have to do that

Lol, yes planning is key , i work for utc aerospace as a cnc machinist, so all too well aware:) ive crashed machines due to poor planning , and failsafe was something I wanted to try just because i like the digital timer on the tx idea tho ill have to do that

Cnc machining....cool. I love to machine stuff. I have a Jet lathe and mill, mig and tig welders. I built my own cnc router 60x60 inch. Very cool to watch. I am building a micro lite helicopter. Haven't worked on it for about 5 years. Went through a divorce. Kinna takes your steam away. I love to make crap. About 10 years ago, while Battle Bots were big, I wanted something to go get my sunday paper. I have a long drive and when it's covered in ice it sucks. I decided to build a bot. I over did it. This must weigh about 200 or more pounds, has a front fork that can lift 150 lbs, 4 wheel drive. I use it to move trailers around and the Jetski. It still works.
Ok back to Phantoms. Be sure to practice in atti mode. If you lose gps, it will go to atti mode. Not much difference other than it will drift with any wind and coast for a bit when you release sticks. I have a youtube channel if you're interested in seeing crap I do. Have fun.

That's what it's all about, having fun :), whats the name of the u tube channel?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1