Phanto 4 image reception.

Reaction score
I am getting artifacts on my photos and videos lately. Is that because of poor signal or can the heat cause that?
This happens when I turn the drone or move the gimbal.

I don't know about moving the gimbal. But, I've noticed on occasion when I'm heading away from my location and my signal starts getting weak, the signal sometimes gets even weaker and breaks up more when I turn around to come home.

I suppose ideally the craft should have a perfectly omni-directional pattern, (transmitting and receiving an equal signal in all directions), but in practice, it doesn't seem this is true.

It depends on the angle of radiation from all the antennas. When the drone is nose down and moving away or nose down coming towards you, the RF coming from the antennas changes angles with the drone.

Ideally with a vertical antenna, you want it straight so the radiation is transmitted towards the horizon 360°. If you angle it, one side will be 'looking' at the sky and the other towards the ground and that's where the signal will go.

Also, relatively little power is transmitted straight up or down from the antenna. The antenna works that way for both transmission and reception.

As for the OP question, what's your signal strength when this is happening? I think you may be right about the heat, though. Can't really say; need more info. What phone or tablet are you using? Maybe it's lagging?

Last edited:
I am getting artifacts on my photos and videos lately. Is that because of poor signal or can the heat cause that?
This happens when I turn the drone or move the gimbal.
Just to be clear, you're talking about the video display on your tablet has artifacts, correct? You're not talking about your video and photo files on the SD card, correct?

If that's the case, look at the setting called "transmission quality" when you click the HD icon. If you're using a custom channel you can adjust the bit rate which can affect the display quality. The highest bit rate, 10mbps gives the best image on the tablet. The lowest bit rate, 4mbps, let's you maximize your range, which is my preferred setting.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj